Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battle groups for Captain's Log #48
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Battle groups for Captain's Log #48 Reply with quote

Play Federation Commander? Want to be published? Submit a battle group for Captain's Log #48! Rules are here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/messages/12033/29289.html?1380754581
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only have four entries. Please consider submitting a force by the 14th of October.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to, but I wanted to let others get in before me so that I don't take an empire from someone else. If I go first, I end up with either Fed "4xNCL" or "2xNCL,DW,2xFF" or some other boring, simple combination. By going later I am forced to pick something at least a little more interesting as the popular empires are already taken.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also giving others a chance I have 3 forces written up on y desk and waiting to see if someone else snags one of them first.

MJW I double dog dare you to use the Powerista in a Battlegroup. *ducks and runs*

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerista + 100 shuttles. Razz
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, there are advantages in picking a faction that is somewhat off the beaten path... or, at least, so I like to tell myself.

Ahem.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't do Powerista as the Feds have already been picked.

Actually, I was thinking of trying the Frax. Don't know yet.

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The year of this battle group is 2577.

Huh? FC doesn't do dates, what affect does that have on things. I have no products that tell me anything to do with dates (SFB or FC or otherwise).

[edit] That might be wrong, somewhere I do have F&E, but when I think about it I'm sure that referred to dates like 160, 172, 180 etc. I'm obviously way out of date on SFU (being more into the game than the detailed background), 2577 = ???.

Quote:
See the Federation Commander Battle Group article that appeared in CL 45 for the correct format.

How about changing that to say 'article that in appears in this public location'. I don't have any captians logs.

Last edited by storeylf on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
2577 = ???.

2577 = SFB Y177

Does it need to be included? Probably not. But, it is color, it causes no harm, and it helps tie it into anything done with SFB.

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is just 'color' that doesn't affect anything then may need stating a bit better because:

Quote:
and in the year of this Battle Group this limits them to WYN-Orion ships and fish ships.

Implies that year affects which ships you can choose, even though FC doesn't normally do years.

Can I assume I can choose any ship (in the allowed products, and per the squdron rules) that are in FC and ignore the date?

Anyway, whilst I might be a bit late, with only a few days to go, I was half thinking of doing this, but is there anything I would need to know that I can't see due to not having captains logs. I don't know much about this battle group stuff and am wary of commiting to something I don't know much about.

Am I right in thinking it is just choose some squadron following the rules, find out what the scenario is and write up something about how you would go about it with your ships? Might I find that someone is going to complain that the way I write anything up will fall foul of some expectations that I don't know about etc, I'm slightly wary of that given there seems to be some hint that it may get published and therefore may be expected to meet other guidelines?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Am I right in thinking it is just choose some squadron following the rules, find out what the scenario is and write up something about how you would go about it with your ships? Might I find that someone is going to complain that the way I write anything up will fall foul of some expectations that I don't know about etc, I'm slightly wary of that given there seems to be some hint that it may get published and therefore may be expected to meet other guidelines?

Lee: That's it in a nutshell.

you pick ypour squadron blind, as you don't know the mission.
Once the mission parameters are established, you write up a quite article detailing your plan ot deal with the mission using your force and submit it to Petrick.
The best ones are printed in the next Captains Log.

As for quality / errors / omissions - never fear. Steve Petrick will proof read them all and if you've made an error, he'll inform you via email and allow you to revise the submission.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise you won't know the scenario - but as a general guide are these things just kill the enemy squadron type scenarios, or are they more involved non-combat type objectives, where the enemy are secondary/hindrance but not really the objective?

I'm not sure what interest ADB is hoping in this type of thing, but for someone who has never done them it seems rather hard to suss out (even ignoring it is on 'that' forum), what with the captain logs for the rules/format etc and a total lack of info on what it is you might be expected to handle. Maybe a quick description/links to the last 3 missions or something might give a hint of what to expect?

I'm sort of hoping it will be a scenario with less emphasis on straight out combat. But I don't want to think that is what I'm preparing for and set myself up for a disappointment if it turns out to be how to kill another 500 pt squadron using standard VP. Not to say I might not enter, but I'd like to know in advance what style of scenario to expect.

Last edited by storeylf on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually it is Kill "X".

The first one I was in SPP paired of the Battle Groups and you wrote article on that. ( I had the Hydran against the Vudar.) The next one the groups were paired off again but this time you were given a Terrain to fight in. ( The Tholians drew the Klingons in a Pulsar.) And the last one was you had to fight a monster. ( The Kzinti had a pair of Planet Killers on opposites of a Planet.)

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one sounds interesting, but the first 2 sound sort of meh!

At least 2 of the forces so far are pure Captain Log forces. If you have to fight another player that's me potentially unable to do a write up as I'd have no idea what I'm facing.

In such a scenario I don't see a huge incentive for a person drawn against the 20 PhG LDR force, given that the obvious tactic, run, is auto disqualify. Smile

Thanks for the info though. I'll give it a bit of thought.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee:
The last item in the Battlegroup rules is:
SPP wrote:
The opposing force has been selected and will be revealed on 15 October, 2013. Tactics articles must be completed and submitted by 31 October, 2013.

That leads me to believe this one will be a scenario type mission and not a straight out duel between two opposing forces... unless Steve has decided to match all of us against the same opposing force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: