Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Micro Machines and Starline 2400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Lewis
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Micro Machines and Starline 2400 Reply with quote

Hi

Just starting to get into FC (having bought it 2 years ago!) and I wanted to check scales.

I have a bunch of the Micromachines Star Trek ships in plastic - but an odd mix of stuff (My only Klingons are 10 x D7s!).

Are they the same scale as the Starline 2400 range?

thanks

Mike
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are slightly bigger, but should be close enough. They might be closer in scale to the 2500 series, though.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike notes, they're a little big, but close enough to use a substitutes. The stock MicroMachine stands are useless though.

I mounted 3 MicroMachine ToS Enterprises and 3 Klingon D-7s onto ADB plastic stands and use those as my "demo" minis for Federation Commander. If they get handled poorly or manage to walk-away, I'm not out an expensive and lavishly painted and decaled Starline mini.
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for the replies.

I am now thinking of using the MM ships for now and then getting some 2500 series once the squadron boxes come back.

Mike
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB has Squadron Boxes in stock. You can see the list here: http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=S&Category_Code=17-1
Mike Lewis
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jean

thanks, but I should have mentioned that I am in the UK. With postage, etc it is much cheaper and easier to buy from Mongoose.

Mike
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was a teenager, we played with 1/72 and HO tanks and Airfix infantry all the time. Now, HO is something like 1/87 but it was close enough for us. I still have a huge box of Roco Minitanks in my garage.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, some folks have had luck ordering through Questing Knight Games. You might try them.
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

If you can find a wood hex-punch (I know they exist, just not who sells them), the Micromachines mount with about a 1/8 inch wood dowel (with a little bit of sanding) onto a 1 inch wood hexbase. Let me see if I can post a picture tonite.

EDIT: This is the template I used to make the hex base:

http://www.angelfire.com/pq/Urhixidur/Titan/Blank_Battleland_Grid.gif

I printed it out and cut out one hex and glued it to the board. Then a chisel to cut it straight on the lines. And finally a wood punch to start the hole then a hand drill to finish.

The wood for the hexbase is 1/8" thick. I believe it's birch, but don't quote me on that.

The Micromachines work great as an inexpensive way to get a pre-painted mini for FedCom.
Mike Lewis
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great. I have mounted a couple of Feds and a couple of D7s on plastic hex bases to try out the game with ships.

I did try putting magnets on the bases and on the ships but havent quite got the hang on fixing them to the ships - the Klingons are okay, but the Feds don't sit right.

@Jean I'll give them a try - also found Dicebay in Brighton who seem to have some stock so I've emailed them.

Many thanks

Mike
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

I have the micro machines enterprise model could i use it in fed comander in 2400?.
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very close to the 2400 scale.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there exists any decal that could go over the "Enterprise" and the "1701" on the Micromachine minis? That would be a quick and easy way to change a few of them to other ship names without having to repaint and re-decal the entire thing.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I depends on how you define "over" it.

You can buy sheets of pre-made white decal film at most hobby stores. That would cover the existing marking, but would not be even close to a color match (since the MicroMachine is battleship gray).

A better bet would be to paint over the existing markings, with an appropriate color of acrylic or enamel hobby paint. Someone has probably done it in the past and may have been kind enough to post notes about a good existing jar-paint color match.

Once you have the existing markings covered, spray the MicroMachine with clear gloss acrylic ("clear coat"), because decals will not adhere well, or at all, to a flat-finish paint like that used by the factory.

I am unaware of any decals that are sized specifically to fit the MicroMachine ships. They are bigger than Starline 2400 minis and smaller than Starline 2500 minis. You'd have to split the difference and use decals for one of those and adjust, as-needed.

[shameless plug]
Tenneshington Decals makes a full line of decals for the Starline 2500 Federation minis and will be coming out with a similar line for Starline 2400 in the future (but it is a ways off, months, at least).
[end shameless plug]

There are other sources for Starline 2400 sized decals.
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The micro romulan makes a good vulture DN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: