Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battlewagon available as a PDF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Amarillo Design Bureau Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Battlewagon available as a PDF Reply with quote

Battlewagon is now available on Wargame Vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/121549/Battlewagon-Second-Edition

It is also on DriveThru RPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/121549/Battlewagon-Second-Edition

It is still available on e23: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB2011

COMMENCE FIRE!

The enemy's battleline is pinpointed by the bright orange blast as his guns return fire. Salvo after salvo is exchanged as your ships battle for victory at sea.

Battlewagon allows players to recreate naval battles in the era of the dreadnought. Scenarios reenacting 10 of the most famous engagements during World War I and II are included. With the wealth of information provided on ships and naval combat, players may also recreate almost any naval battle ever fought, or create their own hypothetical engagements.

Battlewagon captures the excitement and suspense of surface naval combat in a fast and playable game. Each ship is represented by a playing piece on the map as well as by a "Ship System Display" which contains the information needed to move and engage the ship in combat. Each turn of the game is subdivided into impulses to allow for simultaneous movement and firing.

Back in 1980, someone around the Task Force Games office saw a really great photograph of an Iowa-class battleship firing its guns and said: "That would make a great game cover!" Then someone else said "Since Star Fleet Battles [which we had published a year before] is based loosely on [the Avalon Hill game] Jutland, why don't we just re-reverse engineer it into a World War II battleship game?"

The result was Battlewagon, first published in 1981 as a pocket game, then republished in a larger 8.5"x11" format in 1984. This is the second (1984) edition, which corrected and expanded the rules of the original pocket game. (The scan includes 48 pages plus the counters and the hex map.)

The game is hex/counter-based and was not really intended for use with naval miniatures. It covers everything from the smallest destroyer to the largest super battleship, and covers World Wars I and II. Data includes Austrian, British, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Russia, and US battleships. Scenarios include (among others): Falklands 1914, Dogger Bank 1915, Jutland 1916, River Platte 1939, Denmark Strait 1941, and Guadalcanal 1942. There are rules to create your own scenarios.

Rules cover movement, maneuver, gun combat, ammunition quality, gunner skill, ranging, shifting targets, shell types, torpedoes, observation, visibility, star shells, coastlines, ship systems (bridge, radar, engine, floatation, rudder), damage, repair, fire, crippled ships, and sinkings.

Originally published by Task Force Games, ownership of this game transferred to Amarillo Design Bureau Inc. as part of the 1999 "divorce" between the two companies.

Last edited by Jean on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that, had the original bag version. Might even still have it in the garage, though probably not, most of my old bagged games have gone missing and only the boxed ones seem to remain.

My first naval wargame I think, or did I have AH's trireme first? Battlewagon wasn't bad from what I remember, though I wasn't really into naval wargaming, and preferred trireme, at least in part as I was more into ancients rather than just slugging it out with big gun salvos.
ingkent
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun game. Played it quite a bit back then. If I recall, was pretty fast playing. I still have the pocket edition and recently picked up the folio version unpunched.
brucesim2003
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought Article 1 (nexus magazine) from E23. Can we have more please?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean has all of the articles and is planning to upload them all over the next few days or weeks. She's in charge of that and has some theory about how fast to upload stuff. I don't have to understand her theory.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked for it, you got it. We are putting the articles from Nexus about Battlewagon, 2nd edition (including scenarios) up on e23, DriveThru RPG, and Wargame Vault. The first one is Rulers of the High Seas from Nexus, no. 1.

I've re-typeset it, correcting obvious typos. Tell us what you think.

e23: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB2011-01

DriveThru RPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/121645/Battlewagon-Article-%231-Rulers-of-the-High-Seas

Wargame Vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/121645/Battlewagon-Article-%231-Rulers-of-the-High-Seas?src=FrontPage
brucesim2003
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article 1 was interesting. I've read is somewhere before, and it wasn't in nexus. In any case, MORE! MORE!, MORE!

Maybe, if you are redoing the layout, you could sell it as a compendium? (please, pretty please)

20 odd years ago a couple of friends and I re-fought the battle of Jutland using Battlewagon. Now that took a lot of preparing, but it was fun.

Cheers

Bruce
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second Battlewagon article from Nexus is now available on e23, DriveThru RPG, and Wargame Vault. "The Battle of San Bernardino Straits - A Battlewagon Scenario" was published in May 1983, this scenario was written for the first edition of Battlewagon, but can be easily adapted for the second edition of Battlewagon.

HISTORICAL NOTES: In 1944, McArthur returned to the Philippines. His return precipitated the greatest sea battle in history: the Battle of Leyte Gulf. The battle consisted of four separate but interrelated sea battles, one of which was the Battle off Samar.

e23: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB2011-02

DTRPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/122012/Battlewagon-Article-%232-The-Battle-of-San-Bernardino-Straits---A-Battlewagon-Scenario

Wargame Vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/122012/Battlewagon-Article-%232-The-Battle-of-San-Bernardino-Straits---A-Battlewagon-Scenario
brucesim2003
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them coming please.
brucesim2003
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as it seems the nexus articles have come to a halt, I was wondering if it is possible to get the formula for the ships point values?

I'm thinking that it has probably disappeared into the sands of time, but I figured if I don't ask I'll never know. Wink

Cheers

Bruce
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory recall is good,
you will need to purchase the company for
twice it's value to see the
"Secret Formula".

Values are more than the sum of all it's parts.
brucesim2003
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeHe, I vaguely remember that to. But it was 20-ish years ago. No real reason for that to be a state secret any more.

Probably very little chance, but as I said, if I don't ask, the chance drops to no chance. Wink

An alternative (but a significantly inferior option) would be a straight scan of the nexus articles that had extra ship specs. The formula would allow the addition of ships that, for whatever reason, were left out. The Drake's come to mind....playing coronel would then be a possibility.

Cheers

Bruce
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the forumula, but still see exactly the same reason to never release it. (Bootleg ships could then have official BPVs.) If anybody buys the company (which will cost you about a million dollars) I'll show them the formula.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, they came to a halt because they didn't cover my time, let alone turn a profit. Sad
brucesim2003
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
I still have the forumula, but still see exactly the same reason to never release it. (Bootleg ships could then have official BPVs.) If anybody buys the company (which will cost you about a million dollars) I'll show them the formula.

The formula used in a game 20 years out of print is still a secret? Shocked

It seems that what is a dead game won't be supported, but you are stopping others from supporting it. Logic there somewhere, but it escapes me.

Oh well, other games will have to replace it I guess.

Cheers

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Amarillo Design Bureau Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: