Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FCOL Tourney Spring 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: FCOL Tourney Spring 2014 Reply with quote

Rather than rewrite the whole thing from scratch, I borrowed and modifier Jim Dauphinais' superb tournament rules. Please read them all of the following. Questions can be sent to me at stilleon@gmail.com.

Rules for the Spring 2014 Federation Commander Online Tournament

Tournament Signup and Empire Selection Deadline: March 29, 2014

Battlegroup Selection Deadline: April 15, 2014

Start of Pool Play: April 25, 2014

Completion of Pool Play: July 1, 2014 (All matchups within your pool must be complete by this time)

Note: The first round is made up a series of tournament scenarios. One match is played against each of the opponents in the pool you are assigned to. In a pool the total matches will be two to three. All of these matches will have to be completed by July 1. This will be followed by a championship game pitting the winners of each pool against each other.

Signup via E-mail to: stilleon@gmail.com

PLEASE READ ALL OF THE TOURNAMENT RULES VERY CAREFULLY.

1. CORE TOURNAMENT RULES

The 2010 Origins Federation Commander Tournament Rules (http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2900) and their associated clarifications apply except as clarified or amended by the rules which follow below.

The SIXTH Revision of the Federation Commander rules will be used for this tournament including all updates and clarifications of the Sixth Revision rules that have appeared in Communique.

It is expected that all participants have purchased a copy of the Federation Commander Reference Rulebook. This is the only requirement for participation in this tournament besides having a subscription to FC Online. A PDF copy of the Sixth Revision version of the Federation Commander Reference Rulebook can be purchased at: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/federation-commander-reference-rulebook

2. FC SHIP AND WEAPON PURCHASE RESTRICTIONS

Except as amended immediately below, all normal Federation Commander ship and weapon purchase restriction rules apply in addition to all other 2010 Origins tournament purchase restrictions on ships and weapons.

Each player has up to 500 points (yes, a little extra this time) to purchase ships. Each player must purchase 3-4 ships for the battlegroup. There is no restriction on type of ship except that it is part of an official product (either in print or via Warehouse23) and within the guidelines that follow. Ships that have only appeared in either Captain's Log or Communique are not legal for this tourney. Of course, the ship must be in the FCOL client as well.

No more than a total of six Stingers may be purchased by a player playing the Hydrans; you can leave some hangar bays empty (and no, you do not get free shuttles to replace missing fighters).

Ship cards that have been published on e23 may be selected if they are also available and fully working in the FC Online client. It is important that you verify in the client that the ship is fully workable before submitting your battlegroup.

Note that starting with the Sixth Revision of the Federation Commander rules, AEGIS, LTTs, Special Sensors and Tugs are no longer considered Borders of Madness rules. The AEGIS rules WILL be in play for this tournament. However, the LTT, Special Sensor and Tug rules shall NOT be in play. LTTs, Tugs and ships with special sensors may not be selected. AEGIS ships may be selected within the limits of the AEGIS rules.

All selected ships must be warships for a specific empire. No generic ships may be selected.

3. Available Empires

Only the Federation, Frax, Gorn, Hydran, Klingons, Kzinti, Lyran, Orion Pirate, Romulan, Seltorian, Tholian or Wyn may be selected as an empire by a player. The LDR may not be selected as an empire.
The Frax may select Submarines or ships with Axion Torpedoes. You will need the sub rules. They are not in the Reference Rulebook. They are available with the purchase of the PDF Ship Pack for Frax #3 available here: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/federation-commander-frax-ship-card-pack-number-3 or in Captain's Log 41.
The Seltorians and Tholians are restricted to their Milky Way Galaxy weapons.

4. WEAPON LAYOUTS

For ships that have multiple possible weapon layouts (e.g., most Orion Pirate ships), players may only purchase ships with weapon layouts that are fully functional within FC Online.

5. PLASMA G, S AND R TORPEDO TUBES

Note that players will need to use a workaround in FC Online in order to manually setup starting a scenario with the second turn of P/S/R plasma loading complete (see http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=43155#43155).

6. POINT VALUE FACTORS

For purposes of this tournament, the printed point value of all ships and weapons are adjusted by multiplying those values by the following factor for each empire (retaining all fractions):

1.10: Orion Pirates
1.05: Federation, Hydran and Kzinti
1.00: Frax, Klingon, Lyran and Tholian
0.96: Gorn
0.92: Romulan, Seltorian and Wyn

These modified point values apply for all game purposes, including, but not limited to, purchase cost and victory determination.

Example: If the factor that applies to the Federation for the tournament is 1.05, the point value of a Federation CA will be 154.35 points rather 147 points. It will cost 154.35 points to purchase and will be worth 154.35 points for victory determination purposes..

7. SHIP SELECTION

The GM of the tournament shall set a deadline for ship selections (September 30, 2012 for this tournament). Only ships available in the Federation Commander Online Client as of September 1, 2012 are available for use. All purchased ships and selected weapon layouts are subject to final approval by the GM and Assistant GM. Weapon layouts may not be changed over the course of the tournament.

8. STARTING LOCATIONS, CLOAKING AND OTHER MAP RELATED RULES

The combat will take place on an 84 hexes by 60 hexes map. This is twice the size of a Standard SFB map (42 hexes by 30 hexes). This is very close to the effective size of a Federation Commander Small Hex Location Map.

This map is fixed, it does not "float" in any manner.

One force begins in or within one hex of Hex 2924 facing Direction C and the other begins in or within one hex of hex 5537 facing Direction F (the opposing starting locations are 26 hexes from one another).

No Ship may select a Baseline Speed of less than 8 on Turn 1.

Any ship which leaves the map as a result of the player's own movement (or the movement of a ship he tractored) is considered to have been destroyed. Any ship held in a tractor beam that will be forced to move off the map as a result of the opposing ship's movement is immediately released from the tractor in the last hex of the map (and does not leave the map). If its facing is such that its next movement would force it to exit the map and it cannot turn by any means to avoid doing so, it immediately stops (Speed Zero) in that hex; it otherwise will move normally (subject to its own speed plot) from that point. Drones, shuttles, and plasma torpedoes whose movement would force them to exit the map are destroyed.

Ships with cloaking devices can use them for a total of 48 impulses, including the fade impulses, in any given game. At the end of the 48th impulse, the cloaking devices fail and will no longer function for the remainder of that game. Note that this is done for each individual ship. This applies whether the opposing ships have cloaking devices or not.

9. SHUTTLES

Players will be awarded 5 Victory Points for each Suicide Shuttle launched by his or her opponent.

Players will be awarded 5 Victory Points for each launched Administrative Shuttle of his or her opponent that is destroyed outside of its launching ship.

10. TIME LIMIT

There is no time limit in terms of hours played. Instead, each match between players shall last for ten (10) turns or until one player concedes. You don't have to play all ten turns at once. You'll have 28 days to get the game in, and it should be possible to save the game in mid-game. In general, player match ups will be provided by the GM in consultation with the Assistant GM prior to the start of each month and results must reported by players back to the GM and Assistant GM by the 28th of that month.

11. COMMUNICATION BETWEEN GM AND PLAYERS

The GM shall post deadline and match-up information on the federationcommander.com site. The GM shall also email players with this information. Announcements may also be posted on the starfleetgames Discus forums and/or the ADB, Inc. Facebook page. While the GM shall make every effort to ensure that players are adequately informed, it is the responsibility of the players to make sure they know the deadlines and matchups, and understand the rules. The GM shall post deadline and match-up information on the Federation Commander Forum.

12. EMAILS TO THE GM

All emails to the GM must have the name of the tournament in the subject line (e.g. "FCOL Tournament Spring 2014") or else the email wasn't sent. (This is to make it easy for the GM to find the email(s) later.)

GM: stilleon@gmail.com

13. SIGNUP

Players sign up by sending an email to the GM GM by no later than March 29, 2014 indicating the player's real name, username on the Federation Commander forum and the player's choice of empire. Once all the players have signed up for the tournament, the GM will, as necessary, resolve any oversubscription of empires by players. On April 1, 2014 the GM will post on the Federation Commander forum the final list of players and empire selections. Ship Selections will then be due to the GM and Assistant GM by no later than April 15m 2014.

14. PLAY DEADLINES

Once the Players are informed of the opponents in their pool, they must arrange between each of the other players in the pool a mutually agreeable time to play the game on FCOL. You will have a two month period to play all your matches.

It's up to both players to actively pursue their matches; if one player makes a reasonable effort to arrange a game and another does not, the first player is awarded a win. If neither does, both are awarded a loss. "Reasonable effort" is in the judgment of the GM. All emails between players attempting to arrange a game should be carbon-copied (cc'ed) to the GM and Assistant GM so that the GM have evidence that players are actively pursuing the match-up. If both players are actively pursuing the match but circumstances beyond the players' control prevent it from happening, the GM will adjudicate a ruling on the match.

15. HOW TO WIN A ROUND

The 2010 Origins rules to win a round are amended as follows:

Victory for each round will be determined at the end of that round based on the following criteria:

Subtract the lower point value fleet from the higher point value fleet and award that many points to the player with the lower point value fleet.

At the end of the game, add to that:

10% of the points of opposing ships with internal damage.

50% of the points of any opposing ships that are considered to be crippled (8B2b).

100% of the points of any opposing ships that are destroyed.

110% of the points of any opposing ships that are captured.

If the points scored by each player are within 30 points of each other, the battle is declared a draw.

If the point totals differ by more than 30 points, the player with the lower total "loses" the battle. If the player with the higher total has earned at least 100 victory points, he "wins" the battle, otherwise he earns a "draw" (the other player still earns a "loss").

If one player resigns, he "loses" the battle, and the other player either "wins" or "draws" the battle based on the criteria above (Exception: if the "other player" has not earned at least 100 points, he still wins if he has at least earned 30 points for each Turn completed).

16. MATCH POINTS

Points will be awared to players as follows: "Win" 2 points, "Draw" 1 point and "Loss" 0 points.

If at the end of pool play there are any players that are tied for points, the final ranking of those players will be resolved by first comparing the result of their head-to-head match up. Additional tie breaker will be used if the head-to-head matchup is a tie.
The winner from each pool then play each other in a championship match.

17. RULINGS

Federation Commander rules questions will be resolved on the Federation Commander Forum by Mike West when possible. When this is not possible, they will be resolved by the GM.

All tournament rules questions will be resolved by the GM.

In the event the GM is involved in a game, another participant in the tournament will be recruited by the GM and Assistant GM to resolve all tournament questions for that game.

18. SEEKING WEAPON LAUNCHES

FC Online does not currently support the simultaneous plotting of Seeking Weapon launches on a given Impulse (4F2a). The following method can be used a substitute.

When two or more ships opposing ships want to launch Seeking Weapons:

Step a. Both players roll a die (reroll on ties).

Step b. The higher roller declares one of his Seeking Weapon launches.

Step c. Then the other player declares one of his Seeking Weapon launches.

Step d. The launches continue back and forth between players (using Steps b. and c.) until all of the players are finished with their Seeking Weapon launches for that Impulse.

Last edited by ericphillips on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:29 pm; edited 7 times in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I've found that whenever I have posts that get truncated, it's usually because of a 'special character'.
The php forum doesn't like the curled quote mark - but will accept a straight one. Go figure.

After manually retyping several quoted posts, Will and a couple of others pointed out the benefits of notepad.
If you're typing the text in MS word (or other similar program), open it in notepad to strip the formatting. You should then be able to cut and paste directly to the forum from there.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Eric, I've found that whenever I have posts that get truncated, it's usually because of a 'special character'.
The php forum doesn't like the curled quote mark - but will accept a straight one. Go figure.

After manually retyping several quoted posts, Will and a couple of others pointed out the benefits of notepad.
If you're typing the text in MS word (or other similar program), open it in notepad to strip the formatting. You should then be able to cut and paste directly to the forum from there.

it was because of the curly single quote. Good call Tony.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 pts with a max of 3 ships, with potential modifier of 0.92?

That is 'big' ship squadrons, although you can only have 1 DN/BCH, so 1 DN/BCH and 2 Cruisers? As far as I can think the Selts can't even spend all their points if they try. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wyn were the same.

Just to double check is that a typo, did you mean the more normal 3-4 ships?
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
500 pts with a max of 3 ships, with potential modifier of 0.92?

That is 'big' ship squadrons, although you can only have 1 DN/BCH, so 1 DN/BCH and 2 Cruisers? As far as I can think the Selts can't even spend all their points if they try. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wyn were the same.

Just to double check is that a typo, did you mean the more normal 3-4 ships?

You are correct. I will fix.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is an
Axion Torpedoe

where are the rules for it
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is an
Axion Torpedoe

where are the rules for it

nicole
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Axion is a Photon like torpedo that is a little less accurate but can be fired while the sub is cloaked. I'll find out where the rules are for it.

Last edited by ericphillips on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules for the Frax Subs are in the Frax Ship Card Pack #3, available from Warehouse23 at http://www.warehouse23.com/products/federation-commander-frax-ship-card-pack-number-3

Also, if you have Captain's Log #41, they are in there.

You can see the chart for the weapon in the client.

You will have to get either of those resources, they will not be supplied.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

First, thanks for getting this going again and thank you for the nice compliment you gave me with regard to the online tournament rules. I became much busier in the office last year and I also felt I needed to let somebody else have a chance to run the tournaments. It is great to see somebody pick this up. I intend to participate. It has been too long since I got in my last FC game (either face-to-face or online).

I have one comment on the Frax Subs and Axions. I would like to play with them. However, the reason I had not allowed them is that the rules for them are not in the Reference Rulebook and I wanted to ensure the only two requirements to play in the tournament are the Reference Rulebook and a FC Online subscription. Again, I have no problem with playing with them. I just wanted to share why I had not allowed them in. This said, I do suggest you touch up the rules above to clarify that a third requirement to play is to purchase either the eShip Pack that includes the Frax sub and axion torpedo rules or Captain's Log #41.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.
Archer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see the number of ships allowed increased to 5 or even 6. With no limits on duplicates. Still one DN or BC of course. I'd love to see destroyer squadrons fighting cruiser groups. Not sure anyone would even go as high as six, but running cruisers all day every day gets boring. As Storeyelf said, with a 0.92 modifier, it would be very hard to spend your points on 3 ships with Gorns or selts, making them even less competitive.

One other concept struck me as I was writing this. What if each player was allowed to create 2 separate forces. And then show up with whichever he/she chose to each engagement. This would add a fascinating dimension as the best force to fight kzinti might be a lot different than say the best force to fight Gorns. In fact, being able to choose between two polar opposite configurations depending on the race you are fighting might make some of the loser races like gorns and selts competitive.

Just some thoughts. I will also likely join this tournament.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of ships has been increased to 4 for this setup. Email me to join up!

If anyone has any comments about Archer's thoughts, feel free to discuss them!
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Archer that the max number of ships should be increased to 5 at least. (1 DN /BC limit is good too.)

Also, One thing about Gorns and Romulans....

Romulans have faired pretty well, Gorns have never been successful. I think strong consideration to making Gorns have a .92 modifier would be worth considering. I'm not interested in opening a huge can of worms or reevaluating all the point modifiers. But, I guarantee (yes, only my opinion) Gorns, even at .96 are a lost cause. If nothing else, I just want to warn anyone thinking about taking them. If you do, take the Gorns, don't be frustrated or surprised if it goes well and just have fun with them.

I took the Gorns in one tournament just to see what would happen, and I don't beleive that I was able to even squeek out a single win.

Anyhow, looking forward to it.

All the Best.
Pat

Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing, I don't think using suicide shuttles should cause a player to give points to the other player. Suicide Shuttles are a valid tactic in FC. I don't think they should be restricted. I like suicide shuttle,.... well the giving part , not so much with the receiving suicide shuttles : )

I know why that rule was put there, but it may be time to move on from it.

well, thats my final 2 cents worth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: