Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alt universe paravian ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modularity was forced on the Roms by the fact that they had to build a new fleet in a hurry and be able to fill in the gaps of specialized ships. Starting warp earlier with Paravian help means they don't need modularity and never invent it.
Gimp
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for the standard universe, but why not develop modularity for the resource savings instead of having to build more ships? They live in a resource poor region, so why not decide to make the most of what resources they have?

The same end result, but developed for two different, but sensible reasons.

I've always seen both aspects as important for Romulan modularity: driven by the need for more ships in less time, but also running on limited resources.

Of course, someone can always simply say the modular designes are not actually modular, but rather simply different ship designs built separately around the same core designs. Every other race already does that.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"why not develop modularity for the resource savings instead of having to build more ships?"

Then by your logic EVERYBODY should have modular ships in the REAL universe.

No, I was right the first time, early Paravian help means no moularity.
riftsinger
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm well i would love to see what mister turner wound make of alt eagle romulan ships (but i guess he way too busy )

might it be an intersting alt scenrio in F&E /SFB/FED COMMANDER for the second fed/rom war for the romulans to have full warp ?
Gimp
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
"why not develop modularity for the resource savings instead of having to build more ships?"

Then by your logic EVERYBODY should have modular ships in the REAL universe.

No, I was right the first time, early Paravian help means no moularity.

Modularity would make sense for all of the races, and exists to a small degree in the use of stanardized hull frames.

The Romulans, however, would have more impetus than just common sense winning over bureaucratic BS. They are in one of the most resource poor areas of the quadrant.

The Gorn would have nearly as much reason, but could easily be overwhelmed by the politics and not take that route. Modularity costs a little more initially, and saves money over time. A government pinching pennies too much could be put off by the initial expenditures required.

Even if the Paravians gave the Romulans warp technology early, they would still be playing catch-up with the Gorn and Klingons.

Of course, when you start imagining alternate timelines, it's easy enough to imagine multiple alternate histories as viable:
One with a complete redesign of non-modular ships due to Paravian warp
One with a complete redesign of modular ships due to Paravian warp
One with non-modular ships due to Paravian warp that happen to effectively look and act just like the modular ships from the standard timeline.
One with equivalent modular ships due to resource required efficiency constraints.

So long as players aren't trying to develop completely new rules for Paravian aided ships, there is little to cause issues for game balance.

Using existing modular ships as either Paravian aided modular ships, or non-modular ships that belong to the same hull classes, makes game balance the easiest for the alternate history, as the existing designs have official sanction and playtesting background.

I simply favor an alternate history that does not require major redesign work to be playable.
Jack Bohn
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without getting too far into my theory of starship design, here's a thought for some add-on parts to quick-convert an Eagle fleet back and forth between universes.

If the Romulans don't build the Hawks that neck down severely in front influenced by Klingon design equations, they start from their mono-hulls, much like the Warp-Refitted Kzinti. They could follow the Kzinti course to an Early Years shape that necks down into a rear hull (and the Paravians also seem to rudimentarily neck down in the rear), or they could expand the monohull to a longer shape of a somewhat constant width fore-to-aft, like freighters, the OCL and Pol, or Orion Raiders. *

I picture an add-on part shaped roughly like a tongue depressor: as thick as the rim of the Eagle-series ship, rounded on the front to match the aft wall it sits against, the rest carved into a more interesting and artistic shape, adding enough hull for the new boxes.

So far cheap and easy; hundreds can be stamped out of plastic sheet. I'm not sure there's a cheap and easy way for it to be added to the mini for a game, then removed for standard play. A spring steel support that clips around the base of the post and holds the aft hull against the forward hull? Two more flat pieces of plastic: a crescent around the front of the ship, and a piece that connects this new front and new back by running over the top of the existing mini? You'd have to glue the three plastic pieces together, then "snap" it on and off the mini. It just doesn't sound like an elegant solution.

*...and I hope you've twigged onto my brilliant Warp Design Theory: ships are either noticeably thinner in front, or in back, or they are about the same width at each end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: