Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disruptors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captaincf
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was just thinking of an experiment I tried way back when. I designed a new fleet of ships where the main weapons were phaser-1s, including a battery of 6 phaser-1s in place of the heavy weapons. After designing and building the SSD (if I remember right, 6 p-1 fh, 2 p-1 fa, 2 p-1 ls, 2 p-1 rs, 2 p-3 360, 32 warp, 4 imp, 2 apr, 2 btty, 12 center hull, 4 forward, 4 rear, total of five control spaces), I reluctantly allowed myself to be talked into adding a pair of photons.

I allowed myself to also be talked into a game against three CA to DN class ships, I think it was one D7, a Romulan version of the C9, and a C7 or something to that effect. I had my ship and a Fed CA.

First volley saw ALL SIX photons, all overloaded, go flying by. But the 8 phaser ones from my ship (6 main battery and 2 FA) dropped the BCHs shield and did some internals. What's more, I had the speed advantage and power to through into the shields. In the end, the fact I was ridiculously outgunned brought me the loss, but all of the opponent ships had internal damage and only the Fed CA had been destroyed.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking up old threads of interest and saw this one. I still have a keen appreciation for the disruptor. In regards to the phaser-1 and phaser armed ships, has anyone tried the Borak? I bought that module on E23 and have thoroughly enjoyed it. And I've played them a couple of times now. I should probably start a new thread on this...
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting dicussion about the Phaser versus Disruptor. In my SFC playing days, I used a lot of Pirate boats with just Phasers. In my experience, this tactic only seem to do well for Pirates in my opinion. Pirate ships don't have the firepower to go toe-to-toe with other navel warships but the energy effeicent phasers work well for there needs.

Think about it, a cloaking device (some pirates use them) is only useful to get away from a problem if you have a boat only armed with phasers. In this case, why would Romulans ever want to come up with a design like this?

Never heard of the Klingon D7Z. I guess its possible the Klingons came up with the design, but what would the empire use if for? A battlecruiser to police with??
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the fluff back in the Captain's Log the ship appeared in it stated that the D7Z was a relatively early experiment when the Klingons were trying to mass produce Ph-1 to match the Federation. For whatever reason, they ended up with a phaser mount so big that it could only be placed in the disruptor mounts in the engine. Clearly they got over that, but couldn't find enough of the appropriate element of handwavium to convert all of their Ph-2 to Ph-1 as the issue was inferior fire control that resulted in the same amount of energy going into both Ph-1 and Ph-2, but the Ph-2 doing less damage.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death by a thousand cuts.

I've tried Orion phaser boats and they do have their place, but they don't seem to have the quick knock-out punch of a ship armed with heavy weapons.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Democratus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing Disruptors have going for them is the disposable nature of their charge.

With a multi-turn arming weapon you always hesitate to fire due to the opportunity cost. With phasers you might worry about having to recharge the capacitors next turn.

But a charged disruptor is just begging to be fired. You can't hold it. You can't get the energy back. So you feel more free to let fly! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: