Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romulan "Queen" Eagle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Romulan "Queen" Eagle? Reply with quote

I was browsing through the 2500 miniatures section of the online store recently, planning my next order when I ran across a miniature listed as the "Queen" Eagle. The listing described it as a King Eagle, but with an Plasma-S instead of the Plasma-R of the King.

I was wondering if and where this ship appears in FC? I've got the Romulan Attack and Romulan Border modules and I didn't see a card for this ship in either product. Is it in another supplement or maybe in Captain's Log?

Thanks! Very Happy

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank."
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen Eagle is not in FC at this time, although it would be easy to juse use a King Eagle and remember not to fully load the torpedo.

Sounds like a laughably easy ship for me to do for CL something or Comm something.
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Queen Eagle is not in FC at this time, although it would be easy to juse use a King Eagle and remember not to fully load the torpedo.

Sounds like a laughably easy ship for me to do for CL something or Comm something.

Certainly the King Eagle card could be used easily enough. I guess I was mainly curious at to what the appropriate points differnce for the Queen would be?

Thanks, Steve! Smile

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to contradict the game designer or anything, but ...

I think there are two ships being confused here. The two ships are:
- A War Eagle that has 2xPl-S instead of 1xPl-R.
- A War Eagle with King Eagle engines, but no other improvements.

I am pretty sure that the second is the Queen Eagle. I don't remember the name of the first one, though. But, the one ship I am pretty sure isn't out there is a War Eagle with just a single Pl-S.

(Bigger explanation on the second item: The King Eagle not only provides the bigger engines with Pl-F on them, but adds a few boxes to the base hull, too. The idea of the Queen Eagle is that only the engines are improved. To make the ship card, just take a War Eagle and paste the King Eagle engines over the engines it would normally have. This is an entire series of ships that was published in Captain's Log that improves all of the War Eagle variants with King Eagle engines, resulting in the series of "Queen Eagle" variants.)

EDIT: Storm Eagle. I think the version of the War Eagle with 2xPl-S in place of the Pl-R is called the Storm Eagle.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
EDIT: Storm Eagle. I think the version of the War Eagle with 2xPl-S in place of the Pl-R is called the Storm Eagle.

That sounds like an upgraded version of the Stormbird cruiser from Module Y3 (YR4.19), which had a pair of G-torps in place of the -R from the Warbird.

There was a Royalbird command variant (YR4.18), which was to the Stormbird what the R-torp Kingbird was to the Warbird.

So, in the Main Era, would the Storm Eagle be a counterpart to the War Eagle, and the Royal Eagle the twin-S-torp equivalent to the King Eagle?
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Not to contradict the game designer or anything, but ...

I think there are two ships being confused here. The two ships are:
- A War Eagle that has 2xPl-S instead of 1xPl-R.
- A War Eagle with King Eagle engines, but no other improvements.

I am pretty sure that the second is the Queen Eagle. I don't remember the name of the first one, though. But, the one ship I am pretty sure isn't out there is a War Eagle with just a single Pl-S.

Thanks for weighing in, mjwest! My question was propted by the description of the "Queen Eagle" miniature in the ADB webstore.

Quote:
The Romulan Queen Eagle is the same ship as the King Eagle but has the smaller plasma-S torpedo (to save money on construction) and costs fewer points. It can be visually distinguished by the slightly different fin. This is a three-piece miniature available only while supplies last.

I'd never heard of this Eagle varient before I stumbled onto it in the store. Not sure who would have written the description that's posted there or where they got the info from. I was guessing from the "while supplies last" that maybe the miniature was a rejected prototype that ADB ended up with a few castings of and perhaps not originally intended to be a "Queen Eagle"?

Quote:
(Bigger explanation on the second item: The King Eagle not only provides the bigger engines with Pl-F on them, but adds a few boxes to the base hull, too. The idea of the Queen Eagle is that only the engines are improved. To make the ship card, just take a War Eagle and paste the King Eagle engines over the engines it would normally have. This is an entire series of ships that was published in Captain's Log that improves all of the War Eagle variants with King Eagle engines, resulting in the series of "Queen Eagle" variants.)

Were these write ups for SFB of FC? Can you recall which issue(s) I should try to track down?

Quote:

I know I've seen cover artwork of an "Eagle" type ship firing two plasmas from the main hull, although I don't recall what product it was on.

Thanks again! Smile

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: I'd have to go back through various Starline 2500 / ACTASF emails to confirm, but IRC - The Queen Eagle was being discussed back when Mongoose was working on a three piece version of the King Eagle miniature.

The three piece version was to have 'beefier' wings, but the attachment was an issue [for anyone not willing to drill / pin the attachment point and use a super-strong, 2-part epoxy resin to assemble said miniature...)

It was theoretically designed to remediate the issues with casting the one piece mini. The three piece mini had more issues than did the one piece mini - so that idea was scrapped.
Had it gone into production - one mini would be the Queen Eagle and the other a King Eagle.

A Queen Eagle for ACTASF would be easy enough to do... and probably for FedComm and SFB as well, if needed - or desired.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdauben wrote:
I know I've seen cover artwork of an "Eagle" type ship firing two plasmas from the main hull, although I don't recall what product it was on.

That was probably a mighty Vulture, the "Eagle" series dreadnought with two Pl-R torpedoes!

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Mike: I'd have to go back through various Starline 2500 / ACTASF emails to confirm, but IRC - The Queen Eagle was being discussed back when Mongoose was working on a three piece version of the King Eagle miniature.

Thanks for the background, Tony! I ordered two of them yesterday (along with some other minis and FC modules). I'll have to see if my modeling skills are up to the challenge.

mjwest wrote:
mdauben wrote:

That was probably a mighty Vulture, the "Eagle" series dreadnought with two Pl-R torpedoes!

The thought makes my Romulan heart beat eagerly in anticipation of the promised 2500 Vulture miniature. Very Happy

Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think MJWest is correct. I remember in SFC that the Vulture had that kind of configuration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: