Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fighter seeking weapons comminique 112

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Fighter seeking weapons comminique 112 Reply with quote

(5QP5a) All of those seeking weapons must be of one type ie.drones or plasma torpedoes.They are grouped into a single swarm of seeking weapons. That swarm moves together as a single unit in a single hex until reaching the release point. The swarm may move in any manner the owner chooses so long as it gets closer to an enemy unit; the targeted unit may be re selected each impulse. (In most cases there will not be a need to designate a specific target. As long as an enemy unit is in the swarm s tracking arc the swarm can move.) Whenever the weapons in the swarm have reached the end of their range, the swarm is removed.

Question 1. The seeking weapons have already been launched. What does
Quote:
until reaching the release point mean

Question 2.
Quote:
the targeted unit may be re selected each impulse
. Do you really mean this. No other launched seeking weapon in the game can be retargeted after launch. Not seeking weapons launched from sensor ships or seeking weapons launched from ships with 12 control channels specialized in seeking weapons.

Question 3. When does the new target for the seeking weapons have to be defined or selected in the impulse and subpulse for game timing purposes.

Question 4.
Quote:
in most cases there will not be a need to designate a specific target
. What keeps the swarm closing range on a specic target if it can be launched without a designated target.

These fighter seeking weapon rules as proposed are introducing many new mechanics into the game and seem poorly defined as of now.

Sorry about the truncated posts

Thanks

Nicole
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. what is says. The release point is defined later.
2. trying to avoid a lot of record keeping and to deal with multiple drones targeted on multiple targets but travelling as a pack.
3. I haven't worked that out; the logical point I'm sure. Mike will pick something soon.
4. I'm not grasping this question or why it's a question.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

question 4 Clarification
There is a swarm of drones on the map with 3 ships in its FA arc.
Subpulse 2 swarm moves towards ship 1
Subpulse 3 swarm moves towards ship 2
Subpulse 4 swarm moves towards ship 3

The swarm never has to close on a specific target. It seems it can constantly be switching targets.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question 2
IMHO another 6 or so drones on the map is not a problem being tracked. Occasionally we play games vs Klingons or Kizinti or KvK where there 20 to 30+ drones tracking to different targets. Another 6 or 12 is no big deal. I would suggest using the normal drone mechanic already well defined.

Nicole
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impression with these rules are that things are getting too complex....especially with things like that 'a legitimate target' - is the target not declared on launch like it would be from a ship?

And if this sort of thing can be done with fighter 'drone swarms', why not with those from a ship?

Sure, I know it's an untested outline, and that's good. But that implies that feedback is expected! Smile
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Battlegroup Toronto we tried out the new fighter rules for the first time yesterday night. I've always liked the idea of using fighters (ok, LOVED the idea) so it was a lot of fun to be able to launch the squadron and it was easy to move on the board and easy to keep track of.

The drones worked well as a swarm although I messed up the record keeping --so, yes, there is an appreciable difference in the record keeping. I tried to keep all the drone data on a single ship card but it's not easy with a dry-erase marker. I messed up the data and it bogged down the game. I think I saw a Fed Com drone tracking sheet once but I can't find a copy.

I was flying a Kzinti carrier against Lyrans and things got even more complicated when the ESG damage was applied to the drone swarms and to other drones that were within range.

I wondered about combining all of the drones on the board--those from the ships and those from fighters--into a single swarm but I didn't do it. I assumed that the rules for fighter drones are there to compensate for something? Maybe the disadvantage of only being able to launch drones once per turn as opposed to some SFB fighters?

I made a serious strategic mistake in trying to land the fighter squadron and reload them for a second launch of drones. The nature of our battle didn't allow for that much time but I was curious about using them as launch platforms. I'll try to use their direct fire capability next time.

That being said: I LOVE the idea of fighters and I'm more than willing to do the extra work for them. The rules are a good start--I can't wait for dogfighting rules--grin!

If my opponent gets tired of the record keeping then we'll just play without the fighter rules. It's not a problem.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, feedback is absolutely expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: