Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running a convention game - victory conditions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flying Toaster
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Running a convention game - victory conditions? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm going to be running a 3-5 player game of FedCom at a convention pretty soon. To keep it fast-paced and action packed, it will be an all-on-all scenario where people start in a DD, then get a CA when the DD dies, then get a DN (I have 4 hours, so a fair while).
The one point I would like help with is victory points. The book points of 'cripple the enemy' don't really work, because multiple people might contribute to that. I'm thinking of something like 1 point for each 'major' hit, 1 point for a hit that destroys an enemy.
Any thoughts or ideas?
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with something like 1 Point for every 5 or 10 or whatever points of damage. Everytime you lose a ship it will cost you 5 points. I usually start players at 10 points and a ship.

You can also look at adding a ship like every hour or 2 if you want to get things really moving.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "major" hit? Any hit that goes though a shield? More than a set number of points?

Also, is the point for destruction in addition to the major hit?

A very common beef is how to deal with a situation where one ship has worked over an opponent and brought the target down to very low health and then a team mate kills it with very little effort. In Online gaming it's called Kill Stealing and how to reward the guy who put in most of the effort and also reward the guy who made the kill is problematic.

The local group I play with has each player keep track of the number of damage points scored on hulls and players that destroy a ship get the point value of the ship as well as the damage points scored as part of their match score. Last ship(s) left on the map gets 100 additional points. We usually play 7 games and the tourny winner is the points leader.
Flying Toaster
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
Go with something like 1 Point for every 5 or 10 or whatever points of damage. Everytime you lose a ship it will cost you 5 points. I usually start players at 10 points and a ship.

You can also look at adding a ship like every hour or 2 if you want to get things really moving.

Thank you! I think this will be the way to go, probably 1 point per 10 points to line up with the DAC.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a convention event with a similar thought process.
Mine however; only uses Frigates.
Everyone starts with a frigate of their choice...
They score 1 point for every ship they damage a shield (one point per ship max)
They score one point for every ship they score an internal damage point on.
A crippled ship scores 2 points to the player that crippled it. If multiple ships score damage on the impulse a particular ship is crippled, everybody involved gets 1 point.
2 points are scored for capturing a ship...
2 points for destroying a ship. And again - if multiple parties fire in the final impulse... everyone gets 2 points.
If your ship is destroyed, it costs 2 points to buy a new frigate (any frigate / any empire) and re-enter. New ships can re-score points scored on shields / internals of existing ships...

At the end of the session... the player with the highest points score is the winner.
In the case of a tie... the one with the least number of frigates played wins...
If still tied... the most ships destroyed... crippled... damged.. and then shield, in that order.
If still tied... then the whole game is a tie.

With your proposed scenario, you could do something similar.
Give everyone a DD and 5 points.
When the DD is gone, it costs 2 points to buy the CA. When the CA is gone, it costs 3 points to buy the DN.
This will give a small advantage to anyone who can protect their ships and avoid losses. Not enough of a advantage to overcome aggression... but enough to prevent the "charge straight in... fire everything... buy a new ship" tactic.

1 point for damaging a shield...
1 point for scoring internals...
1 point for a successful Hit and Run raid... maybe...
2 points for crippling a ship...
5 points for destroying a ship???

Just random thoughts here.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony's is the most complicated, but not overly so. I like it the best.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Tony's is the most complicated, but not overly so. I like it the best.

It does have the advantage of being ran in the past... three or four times... successfully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: