Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon Hull Markings - ship names?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrov27
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Klingon Hull Markings - ship names? Reply with quote

Hiya - first post - just getting back into SFB miniatures after many years and have a mix of metal and Shapeways 3125 Klingons I am getting ready to paint.

Looking at the Hull markings on the original TOS D-7, there are three Klingon characters next to the Klingon insignia on the aft hull - is this the ship name? or a registration number? If so, is there a list of Klingon ships by class that shows the name or registration in Klingon characters (that would go on the aft hull)?

Did some searches but didn't find anything specific to this

Thankya!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is the ship's name, but I don't know if that has ever been confirmed. It is most-likely not the ship's hull number, as many Klingon ships do not have them (only a name).

The existing names and hull numbers can be found in the starship name registry, HERE.

BTW- The Star Fleet Games Site Master Index is very helpful when searching for this type of thing.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comes from the original model kits and is supposedly the type and registration number, but that makes no sense as it would assume the Klingons only built 11 heavy cruisers. Going back in time to when the kit was done it was just something to look cool. Feel free to print a name or number.

Klingon ships had numbers but our name list doesn't show most of them as these were not in the Air Force tapes.
petrov27
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - thankya - so there is no rhyme or reason to what is on the hull characters. For my test mule for a Klingon paint scheme I just found a Klingon windows font and threw together some of the characters and had them printed as decals:

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't actually say "no rhyme or reason" just that it was not well thought out.

What you did is, in my opinion, one of many perfectly valid ways of doing it.
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Klingon script in one of the earliest technical journals, where the markings on the TV model were made out to read D7A, so like SVC said.

These days, with more characters available from many sources, as long as it looks Klingon, I say go with what looks cool.

Nice paint job, by the way, petrov27! Cool Cool Cool Cool

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
petrov27
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
I didn't actually say "no rhyme or reason" just that it was not well thought out.

Sorry - didn't mean to put words in your mouth!

thankya trynda1701 for the positive feedback on the F-5S! I am pleased with how it turned out - just want to highlight a few areas a bit more and dull coat it.

I really like the Shapeways print of this ship - hoping more F-5 variants will show over time.

I will say the Shapeways stuff is sure nice in regards to cleanup - I spent quite a lot of time cleaning up three small metal E-4s last night with files, scraping with the Xacto and sandpaper and didn't even want to start on the metal C-7, whereas spent little or no time at all with a quartet of Shapeways prints of Hydrans - just a little sanding on parts that showed print line texture then primed 'em...
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock F-5 frigate, the F-6 battle frigate, and the F5W war destroyer will all be going up on Shapeways, in the coming months.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, the F5, F5W, and F6 are all set for 2 Oct (since 1 Oct is a Sunday) and the SD7 is tentatively set for 1 Nov. The SD7 should come in B and K versions but the frigates are too small for astekking to work.
petrov27
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
At this point, the F5, F5W, and F6 are all set for 2 Oct (since 1 Oct is a Sunday) and the SD7 is tentatively set for 1 Nov. The SD7 should come in B and K versions but the frigates are too small for astekking to work.

Fantastic - can't wait to see those!

The only suggestion I might have, now having several of the Klingon Shapeways minis on hand and in progress of painting, the F5S seems to be the only one of them that has cast into it "window dimples" or pits where I presume the round windows would be on the lower forward hull. The C8 and D7 do not have any of these. Could we follow that trend with the new F5s coming to the store and not have the window dimples? A selfish reason on my part is that I use decals for the windows so have to fill those dimples. It would also be consistent between the minis since so far the majority of the Klingons do not have that detail (not sure on the B10 as I do not have it yet)

Anyway just a suggestion - looking forward to the additional minis regardless!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the 1/3788-scale Klingon frigates will have windows "cast in", going forward. (The F5S was a unique case and something of a prototype)

The 1/3125-scale Klingon frigates will continue to have them.
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:

The 1/3125-scale Klingon frigates will continue to have them.

Ah well - I shall continue to fill them no problemo....

got a bunch of minis primed and ready for paint - of course now both of my airbrushes are having probs...

We had joy we had fun we had Klingons in the sun.... some minis with primer drying outside...

And ready for airbrushing - unfortunately I may need to send my airbrushes in for repair so things are on hold...
petrov27
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one of my airbrushes to work. Some progress....

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum needs a like button, so we do not have to create whole new post just to tell someone how awesome their work is.

Great job so far, Petrov.
I like the Klingon color... it's nearly the same as the grey I use.
The Hydrans are a bit bold for my taste, I paint mine in a bit more of a muted purple color.
But they are only targets after all... Smile
petrov27
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Scoutdad for the positive feedback!

The hydran color is a bit bright but it is still glossy - not dull coated yet - plus I haven't yet put a dark wash on 'em so that should tone them down a bit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: