Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starship emblems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Starship emblems Reply with quote

A recent article on Star Trek[dot]com, http://www.startrek.com/article/starfleet-insignia-explained reputes the assumption that each starship had it's own insignia. The author provides a 1967 interoffice memo from Bob Justman to costume designer Bill Theiss reminding him that no ship has it's own emblem. The article goes into detail about the emblems.

My players prefer to have ship based emblems, thank you very much. Nearly came to mutiny...
Scharwenka
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, an interesting read. The letter would seem to put that to rest; but I still like the idea of individual ship emblems.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that at one point the plan/knowledgebase was that each ship had its own (and crews of other ships are seen in TOS having their own insignia). By the time of the movies, the Arrowhead had become the national insignia.
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated earlier, my group opposed conforming to memo. Good thing I do't have to come up with ship emblems. There would be literally hundreds. I did once for the McClusky. It's simply an overhead shot of a Douglas SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: