Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painters Block
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My painters block has lifted with a rash of relatively nice days I've manged to paint an ISC DN and a few smaller ships. Got 4 ISC CA in progress (Dk Green, Gunmetal, Met. Blue, and a sorta light purple). A pile of Gorn are primed gray/black ready to go. Also a few Fed ships.

I did discover after messing with many different gray paints...the flat gray spray paint from WalMart is the perfect color if you're doing a battleship gray type paint job. All you have to do is detail it.

As for the Starfighterace decals, I'll probably use the hull circles/numbers and that's about it. Some I'll just use some random 40k decals.

I also have an Orange Fed NCA I'm working on.

I will post pics of them eventually.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, my wife got tired of listening to me complain about the noise in the garage where I do my work - [possibly the cause of the painters block?] and told me to go to Home Depot and do something about it. Well, after 8 days of packing and moving stuff out, then building an enclosed workroom, and then moving back in a unpacking - I have completed the work-room (except for hanging the door) and can't wait to get back to painting.

My daughter and grand-kids are in town from noon today until Tuesday mornign so I won't get much done tehn, but after that I'm off work until January 2, 2008 - so look forward to some new items coming soon.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent part of yesterday and today doing some painting of some minis. These are the first ones I've ever done, though I've done large plastic models since I was a kid. Boy, the old eyesight really took a beating on these!

Anyway, I finalized 4 Fed NCLs, 2 Fed CLs, a Fed Police ship, 2 Kzinti ships, and have the base coats done for a couple of Lyrans, 3 Gorns, 2 Romulans, and 2 Klingons. And only one more day until school starts again! Drats!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Boy, the old eyesight really took a beating on these!

I had to breakdown and buy one of those task-lights with a magnifying lens. I was going all blinky trying to paint running lights and phasers.

Post pics of your minis Mike - I'd love to see them!
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got over my painter's block these holidays too. I painted up my Klingon fleet and a couple of long neglected Warhammer 40,000 figures. Waiting for my decals to arrive so that I can get stuck into the Feds, and I'd really like to paint some more Kzinti...
Very Happy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday morning, I decided to start painting some miniatures (Battletech, this time)...

So I get my work desk set-up - i.e., paper on the surface, lights positioned properly, etc...
I get out the airbrush and 3 bottles of Tamaiya olive green paint...
I mix all three bottles into one larger bottle, thin it to the proper consistency, and re-pour into the seperate bottles and seal...
I line up the first 45 mechs to be base coated (196 in this round)...
I pour the first 1.0 ounce bottle of paint into the airbrush bottle...
and promptly drop it!
As it's falling I snap my hand out to catch it, but miss and instead bat it onto my leg and then off onto the floor where the bottle shatters!!!
Attempting (unsuccessfully, as the green bob on my khaki-colored pants can attest to) to avoid the incoming paint bomb - I jump upand backwards...
At this point, I knock the table about severely!
The other two bottles of olive green paint roll off onto the floor and break, as do two Riflemen and a Madcat. Embarassed

So much for painting today. Guess I'll try again this weekend. Wink
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combat damage. Crying or Very sad
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that happened to me, I think Painter's Block would set in again.....
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad: What do you DO with that many miniatures? Back in the day when I did SFB I only had about 160 total ships. Even the 40k marines I've painted don't come up to that number....and how do you afford all that metal?

As for the paint bomb: when I lived at home (many moons ago) there was a very nice gray stain on the carpet from a spilled jar of paint.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfury wrote:
Scoutdad: What do you DO with that many miniatures?

Play Battletech??? Very Happy
Starfury wrote:
Back in the day when I did SFB I only had about 160 total ships.

I've got almost that many of some races... 100+Feds / 120+ Hydrans / 99 Klingons / etc...
Starfury wrote:
Even the 40k marines I've painted don't come up to that number

I sold all of my 40K stuff - but when I had it, I had 12,000 points of Eldar (plus a titan), 10,000 points of Marines, plus 5,000 or so points each of Imp Guard / Orks / Chaos Marines / Traitor Marines / Genestealers... and enough terrain to fill 3 or 4 tables, depending on what type of terrain one wanted to play on.
Starfury wrote:
...and how do you afford all that metal?

I have been buying in bits and pieces for 25+ years. Before my latest promotion, I travelled all over Tennessee and the surrounding states performing inspections. I would stop at any hobby shop I encountered. Most of my minis come from close-outs or ebay.

Also, when I first stated purchasing 40K minis, for example: a squadron of 5 figures [ork / marine / eldar / etc.] came in the same blister pack for $4.99. Rhino personnel carriers came 3 to a box for $19.99! It's pretty easy to build a sizeable force for little cost when doing it over 25 years.

Besides, I don't smoke, I don't drink, and I don't go out party'ing on weekends - I have to have some vice to spend my money on or else I'd be in a higher tax bracket! Shocked

Starfury wrote:
As for the paint bomb: when I lived at home (many moons ago) there was a very nice gray stain on the carpet from a spilled jar of paint.

I have left some type of paint stain on the carpet of every house we have ever rented and probably would have dsone the same at the one we're buying if my wife hadn't relegated me to the garage before that could happen.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about posting some pics of the minis I recently painted, but I couldn't find the right combination of settings on my camera to take a good picture. I tried several different configurations, but none gave a clear result.

One other thing I noticed was the color shifting that occurred with the Kzinti ships. I painted the "head" and engines red and the long main part of the ships dark red, but in the pictures I took parts of them looked pink. I'm color blind and they looked green to me, but my wife said they were pink.

Any suggestions?!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: