Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gorn Battle Cruiser deck plans = work-in-progress
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Starship Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I checked the old painting guides and found them to be a bit ambiguous as to how the hatch / tracks should be. I did notice that the CL moved the shuttle bay aft. I prefer to keep it the same, over the wings, as the BC. I just feel that's too much modification required to convert a CL to BC. If these ships were designed with the upgrade in mind, they should not and would not have such a huge difference in the shuttle bay.

For now, I'm going to just mock up the circle turbolift / walking corridors in Deck 3/6 and 4/5. Initially, I'm going to chop the ship up into ~5x5 meter rooms, and then adjust / take out walls as needed to make larger rooms for the common areas.

Are there any special rooms that a Gorn ship should have that a Human ship doesn't have?? Like, perhaps, a religious temple??

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't touched the shuttle bay yet. Per above comments, it needs a major renovation. I did mock up the concentric corridors / turbolift shafts for Desk 2-4.

Just as I was posting this, I decided on a change I plan to make on these. On Deck Two and Three, I'm going to bring the cross-connections for the turbolift in at 45-deg angles, kind of like what I did on Deck Four. That will solve a bunch of problems of getting the vertical shafts to line up.

Side note: my computer screen is 1920x1080, so I re-posted links to cropped images to fit better. Some people will still have side-scroll issues. Sorry. I can't go too small or you won't be able to see anything. However, comma, if there's any I should -and can- re-post smaller, please PM me.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the "Middle Years" Gorn ships might not be built with this in mind, it might be worth noting for any later carrier variants to have some of the crew quarters be adjustable so as to better accommodate Skolean mercenary pilots.

It's noted in the Gorn background article in Away Team Log that each of the three Gorn planets has a pair of "prey species" (one the size of a cow, the other the size of a pig) which are distantly related to the Gorns themselves; it would appear that the Lizard Kings seeded these species on those worlds along with the Gorns themselves. (One of these two "prey species" could also be found on Paravia.)

That said, it's unclear whether or not the Gorns (or Paravians) would bother with on-board "pens" for live "prey species" - the way that the Kzintis, Lyrans, and Carnivons would - or if the Gorns would avoid what, in the eyes of the Legislature, might be something of an unnecessary extravagance.

(If you are curious about the Gorn article from Away Team Log, it is also published in Captain's Log #44 and in both incarnations of the A Call to Arms: Star Fleet rulebook.)
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to laugh tonight while watching TV. There was a show on PBS called Impossible Builds, this episode was talking about the Scorpion Building in Miami which was designed with a complex curved support frame. They mentioned that this causes each floor to be different, making it hard to line up plumping and electrical conduits.

I feel their pain. I really do. I am still fighting with getting the turbolift vertical shafts to line up, and I haven't even begun to think about stairwells or the plumbing/electrical shafts.

It makes me almost want to abandon the ring design and just put a single vertical shaft down thru all the decks and put a straight throw for/aft. But I know how much headaches such a design causes, for that's how I did the Police Cutter (not that I really had a choice on that one). At any rate, I moved things around and am getting close to locking in the turbolift system. Maybe.

Again: Green = turbolift / Purple = corridors. Will be replaced to proper walls later in the process.

Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They mentioned that this causes each floor to be different, making it hard to line up plumping and electrical conduits.

Toured retired and recently retired Battleships, retired CV and one under refit. Can't get anywhere from anywhere else, they should get naval engineers to help.[/quote]
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I lock it down, does anyone have any heartburn over the width of the turbolift cars / shafts or the walking corridors??

The turbolift shafts are lined with heavy 25-cm plates to handle the load of the cars moving along the tracks. I set the interior of the car at 225-cm as roughly the height of a typical Gorn for when an injured crewman needs to be carried on a stretcher to med-bay. It's a tight fit for some, I'm sure.

phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elbow room is always at a premium about any ship. Seems like a good solution.

And I really like the layout for the turbo lifts.

If more room for the turbo car is needed, maybe trim the shaft walls to 20-cm?
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible location for the Main Bridge, on Deck Two. This can extend upwards into the low-ceiling area of Deck One.

The obvious choice would be to put the Bridge in the center, but I wanted something different from what the Federation uses. My though is the bridge is a wedge with the commander's station in the rear, with his back to the wall, overlooking all the other stations.

Thoughts and opinions???

Last edited by Sgt_G on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall some art work that made it look like the bridge was near the bottom of the front bubble.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find that, let me know, please. Ditto for anything else that locks a location of some system down.

The SSD says that the forward bubble has: two phasers (done), Bridge (tentatively on Deck Two), Tractor (plan is near front Deck Six, just below/behind Deflector), APR, Transporter, and two Batteries.
The neck has another Transporter, Emergency Bridge (plan is Deck Five, co-located with Engineering near the Warp drive connection), Probe (???), and four-box Lab (is this the Med Bay??).
Aft bubble is same-same as front, just spun 180-deg, obviously.

As to crew counts, I look them up.

CL = 32 / BC = 48. This implies 16 per bubble and 16 in the body (neck + wings).
HD = 32 / CM = 42 --> 10+22+10
DD = 20 / BD = 24 --> 2+16+4
FF = 12 / BF = 15 --> 3+9+3

As I feared, the logic of calculating where the crew live based on the addition crew gained with the aft bubble appears to break down once we look at other classes. {sigh}

Jack Bohn
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just note that the boarding diagrams put the neck transporter in the starboard area, more easily accessed from that shuttlebay or wing than from C Hull boxes. (The probe is port.) The SR conversion from the CL puts two transporters there, but the commando ship has all four neck transporters centrally located, with the emergency bridge accessed in the starboard area. Whether this is a room swap, or redirecting a passageway and a different placement of an isolating door, I don't know, and I don't envy you having to determine.

Exit to add:

With the Gorn propensity for ground combat, the boarding parties have their quarters in the neck near the shuttlebays easily convertible to barracks.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per SVC's comments on the other board, the BC and CL wings should be the same size. I'll put the three meters I trimmed off back on the CL.

Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost missed a step in the design. Now that I have the turbolift and walking corridors laid down, and the major "must be here" items in place (e.g. = shuttle bay), I need to put the vertical access shafts (plumbing & wiring) and stairwells in before I start assigning placement / purpose of rooms.

One obvious place for stairs is either side of the center-throw corridor. I haven't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure the forward cross ways (45/335-deg) will line up vertically, so I should be able to put another set of stairs next to those.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Starship Art All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: