Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on miniatures for a New Federation Commander player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHaven
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Advice on miniatures for a New Federation Commander player Reply with quote

Hello all,
Recently a friend of mine brought Federation Commander into my local game store to show a few in our gaming group and I was instantly hooked. I quickly ordered my own copy of the Klingon border and I intend to grab some of the supplements asap. I am learning the game with the counters but I am a miniatures gamer at heart and I feel the pull of the miniatures strongly. My question to any veteran players out there is should I grab the Federation squadron and Klingon Squadron boxes to start or a ship or 2 each for the Federation and Klingons? The friend who introduced the group and myself to the game has quite a few Starline 2400 ships so I will most likely use that scale ship.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just depends on what you want to spend.

The best bargains are the $99.95 border boxes, which have 24 ships.

The Squadron Boxes are the next best deal.

The individual ships are fairly priced and a real bargain since we haven't raised prices in 15 years.

The biggest bargains are the "pound bags" but we have those maybe once a year and they sell out in hours, before most people know they are there. This is a pound of factor seconds, ships that are all there but often have missing phaser bumps, cracks, holes, slightly deformed engines, or whatever.

Then you can try SHAPEWAYS.com where we have 1260 "print on demand" plastic ships including well over half of the metal ships and many ships not available in metal. These also have better detail and more accuracy. We also have a full range of dragons.
WhiteHaven
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Steve,
I didn't even see the Border boxes. I will most likely buy 2 squadron boxes since if I'm not mistaken the border box doesn't have the Fed DN and I definitly want 1 of those. If my group continues to play I'll be going for the BB eventually.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group and to this niche of the miniatures hobby.

If you end up with questions when it comes time to assemble or paint, this is a good place to ask.

There is also a very lively SFU Miniatures Painting and Kitbashing Tips Facebook group. That group sees a huge amount of pictures and updates pretty much daily.
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Djdood,
I was looking for the decals for the 2400 line and I found them on Jupiter IV but it looks like the decal sets are purchased by class does anyone know if they sell packs for the squadron boxes?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how Mel Kraley (Jupiter IV) packages his decal products, but I'm sure he can fill you in. (the Facebook group gets seen by more people, more-often, if you want a prompt answer).

For Tenneshington (the company I run with Tony Thomas), we do individual ship decal sets, but only offer decals for ships in 1/3125-scale at this time.
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you offer individual ships and a Federation fleet set. There are no 2500 line squadron boxes are there? I'm the one in the group really interested in minis at the moment so if it comes down to it I may jump to the starline 2500s. Do you know if Mel Kraley (Jupiter IV) has a public email? I'm afraid I don't have Facebook.
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jupiterivdecals@gmail.com is the only email addy I know for Mel. And no, no squadron boxes of SL 2500. There were some "fleet" boxes back when Mongoose was involved. You would have to check Ebay for those. It is actually cheaper to buy the individual minis most of the time.
WhiteHaven
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks phdillman,
I sent an email to Jupiter IV.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not offer boxed sets of 3125-scale Starline 2500 ships. A marketing decision was made that we would let players build their own fleets buying individual ships.

The boxes are popular with store owners, who would rather sell a box than five packs. One stock unit, easier inventory.

Because of the pricing on 3125s (*) there is no way to discount the boxes so there is no need to do boxes. Just buy exactly what you want.

(*) In the first days of 2500 (3125 scale) Mongoose did not have a good grip on what it costs to make a ship. The result was that they did not realize they were breaking even (no profit) on packs and losing money on boxes. Once this was figured out, and ADB took over production and reset the prices based on the actual cost of production. That resulted in very high prices nobody would pay because we only get about a third of the retail price for something sold to stores. So we priced them for mail order only, giving us a reasonable profit and you a price you can afford. Because we're selling mail order only, we can skip the expensive blister packing, which often costs more than the metal ship itself. The reason that 2400 boxes show a discount is that's comparing one big plastic box to five or six little plastic boxes. The discount comes entirely from the lower cost of the plastic boxes.
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
There is also a very lively SFU Miniatures Painting and Kitbashing Tips Facebook group. That group sees a huge amount of pictures and updates pretty much daily.

I did not know about this group! The official ADB Facebook group, yes, not this one. Nice to see lots more SFU mini pics. Cool Cool Cool Cool

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: