Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SIDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: SIDS Reply with quote

I've just bought the 2010 version of F&E (I had the 1986 version) to scratch an itch and have an actual non-solo go at it with a local friend, who had the 1993 version.

Reading through the new rules I'm a bit confused about the SIDS section, well I'm probably confused by more than that, but this one stands out.

If I direct damage against a SB I have to pay 18 points of my damage per SIDS. However, the SB is not crippled until it takes 8 lots of SIDS, and I can only do 1 SIDS per combat round.

I'm not sure whether there is a typo, or I am misunderstanding something. This seems to work out at a 4:1 damage ratio, as in I will have to allocate 144 damage to get the 36 damage needed to cripple the base.

I see that the defender can voluntarily take SIDS, and that does work out at 1:1.

Is it intended that directing at a starbase is 4:1? Whilst I may change my mind once I get into some complex battle, I just cannot see what the attacker would ever 'sacrifice' over 100 damage, given the economic nature of the game, and especially given that the first 7 SIDS do not even reduce the combat power of the SB.

Or am I misreading/misunderstanding something?
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I believe you have it right, a Starbase is a tough nut to crack.

Now it's been a while so I am sure some one will correct me. But I believe Maulers and Troop Ships can each score an additional SIDS on their own.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: