Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to play bad Federation Commander
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: How to play bad Federation Commander Reply with quote

Here's some deadly mistakes I've made while playing FC. Please feel free to add in your own...

Run out of power.
Running out of power is a great way to play bad FC. Every time I run out of power, and my opponent has power left, I get trashed. The opponent launches drones that I can't stop or run from, or just accelerates and overruns me with phasers. It seems to happen in other peoples' games too.

The biggest temptations for wasting power seem to be shield reinforcement and overloads.

Lose track of the other guy's power
While flying an Orion CR against a Federation CL, I'd managed to get in behind him at range 2. I was drooling over the prospect of firing a close range alpha strike without taking any damage in return. On sub-pulse 4, he does a high energy turn, ending with me on his forward centreline...

Two overloaded photons and six phaser-1s later, the CR is crippled.

The moral of that story is, don't get so hung up on your own plan that you forget how your opponent may respond. Keep track of his power so you'll know what options he has.
sinister
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not watching my opponet's use power (I think one was cheating). Not using turn mode markers (we WILL be using these from now on)

Not keeping track of an opponet's photons or other large charging weapons.

always being prepared for a high energy turn alpha strike.
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget to power a tractor that had been used for Drone Defense. This was a bit embarassing.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgetting about hit-and-run raids (really bad if you happen to be a Romulan).

Forgetting about tractor beams and getting pulled into an asteroidfield.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to play bad Federation Commander Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
Lose track of the other guy's power

Be aware that energy use is "open". If at any time you have a question on your opponent's energy use, you have simply to ask.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I forgot to even ask. I knew he had enough power for an HET, but wasn't thinking about what he could do.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Stupid..stupid..stupid Reply with quote

Forgetting that your opponent can CANCEL his movement..very bad when you have a worse turn mode than your opponent, move first..thinking he HAS to move and forgetting he can cancel..very bad when he is a Lyran at RANGE 0 with fully powered ESG's and P-1's..buh-bye Battle Cruiser...sigh
anarchy
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to preload my photons once.

I didn't turn and run from plasma fired at close range (hey, I can phaser it down a little bit!)

Purposely didn't phaser a suicide shuttle and grabbed it with a tractor so I would have more weapons to fire only to see the tractor destroyed when we traded alpha strikes. Ouch!
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this a lot:

People call directed damage all the time and forget that you lose all 'skipped' damage points....DOH!
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJolley wrote:
See this a lot:

People call directed damage all the time and forget that you lose all 'skipped' damage points....DOH!
Or you could do what I invariably do, and forget to call directed damage until you've already rolled to hit...
trooper
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After knocking down the front shield on a War Eagle during the Offensive Fire phase you drop your front shield to do a hit-and-run raid to take out the cloaking device, BUT you forgot that the Launch phase comes later AND that the War Eagle has had time to have a R torp ready to go.
Fortunately, I was the raid-ee in this situation and JMT, who posted earlier, was the raider. That R torp made a mess of his pretty Fed BC.

Cheers,
Brian
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always know the status of your opponent's multi-turn arming weapons. Specifically, don't end an impuse at range 1 infront of a Hydran with fully loaded Hellbores. Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and when your Gorn or Romulan opponent will have his plasmas loaded next turn, plot speed 24 in energy allocation. Or die.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and don't forget that turn two on Pl-G and Pl-S (and Pl-R) count as "loaded". If you give him a tempting target, he will take it with quick-loaded Pl-F shots.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget that you're playing Federation Commander and not Star Fleet Battles. This is a common mistake for players who also play SFB. As Steve Petrick pointed out in his Command Note on basic FC tactics, things just don't work the same in Federation Commander. FC and SFB are similar enough that it's easy to learn one from the other, but it's also similar enough to get easily confused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: