Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

differences between some Fed ships?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justicar
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: differences between some Fed ships? Reply with quote

I'm looking to get some Fed ships and was wondering about the differences between similar models.

Is there a difference (beyond the blatantly obvious one) between the plastic (Zocchi) CA and the metal CA?

What about between the DNG and the DNH?

Thanks
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic CA and the metal CA are essentially the same thing, they just differ in proportion in a few places, etc. The metal one is much newer, and includes SFU-specific things like the aft-hull phaser bumps.

I prefer the proportions of the plastic one (as a display piece), but the metal one is far more durable on the game board. The saucer of the metal CA (and the BC that the saucer came from) is a bit "squished" in height.

The even newer Fed CC mini is the same aft hull and engines, with one of the spiffy new computer-modeled and stereolithography-mastered saucers (with all the heavy grid lines molded in).

The DNG and DNH are also mainly different in the aft hull; the aft hull of the DNH is considerably longer.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
The saucer of the metal CA (and the BC that the saucer came from) is a bit "squished" in height.

I'm curious as to what you mean by squished? To me it seems as though the metal CA saucer is significantly thicker than the plastic one.

justicar:

The shopping cart has a picture of both the DNH and DNL (same rear hull as the DNG, I'm pretty sure) together.

Here are the pics I have of my DNH and DNL (larger than those on the cart).

DNH
DNL

The window decals on the hull are the same for both, and in the far right pic for each, you can see that there is more space between them and the nacelle pylons on the DNH than the DNL.

I'll see if I can get a pic or two of the DNG and DNH together tonight or tomorrow.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page

Last edited by OGOPTIMUS on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
justicar
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall size is larger but the dimensions are squished, maybe?

Which is larger overall, the plastic or metal CA?

Ok, so I'll get the DNG...

Thanks for the info.

I'm narrowing down my fleet decisions and now just have to figure out what to do about (Mark's Starfighter) decals.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal CA (and the BC) saucer is indeed much thicker on the rim. This is one of the proportional changes that I wasn't keen on (and why I'm glad there is now the thinner-rimmed CC alternative).

By "squished" I meant the vertical dimensions are all shrunk. This tends to happen during the mastering and mold-making process (things shrink perpendicular to the mold split-line). It's most noticeable on things like the upper "teardrop" (which is quite short) and the lower "cone" which is also pretty shallow.

even the new CC saucer is slightly shrunk vertically, but not as much (I think the guy who built the CAD model may have gotten clever and modeled the thing over-tall, so that when it shrank it was more on-proportion).

None of these things affect the metal CA (or the BC) as play-pieces *at all*. On the game board, the view is top-down and that's where they look their best (and their small issues aren't really visible).

I do my minis very much as small models and display pieces (which I also happen to game with), so I'm more of a stickler about shape and form. I very much try to make mine look as much "like the ship on tv" as I can.

justicar -

The plastic one is a tiny bit longer, IIRC. I'd have to measure, but it's a really small difference (like .10-inch).

One thing to think about is that you'll want to put weight into the stand for the plastic one (they blow over in a good sneeze).
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
One thing to think about is that you'll want to put weight into the stand for the plastic one (they blow over in a good sneeze).

That's why we fly them in squadrons of three... think conga line.
The engine nacelles on the lead ship support the saucer of the next ship in line, and so on... The whole 3-ship / 3-hex unit is relatively stable and can withstand a moderately hard jolt of the table w/o tipping.
Wink
justicar
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the info.

Now I have a decal/markings question. What's the significance of the "combat circle"? Why do some ships have them and others don't?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those evolved over time. As I understand it, originally Ted Giebel added them to some of the ships in his CGI art, just because they looked cool (and they do).

Eventually it seems to have settled out that war-time built classes (NCL, NCA, DW, DNG, SCS, etc.) have them, pre-war classes (CA, DD, FF, Tug, DN, etc.) don't. I'm sure there is some leeway either way.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Those evolved over time. As I understand it, originally Ted Giebel added them to some of the ships in his CGI art, just because they looked cool (and they do).

This is exactly correct.

Quote:
Eventually it seems to have settled out that war-time built classes (NCL, NCA, DW, DNG, SCS, etc.) have them, pre-war classes (CA, DD, FF, Tug, DN, etc.) don't. I'm sure there is some leeway either way.

The application of the circles is somewhat haphazard, I must agree.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: