Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

orion tactics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sock
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: orion tactics Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone on here would be interested in helping a newer Fed Com player in working out the strategies necessary to be a succesful Orion player. i am having to work out a fleet for the same campaign as Sylvrdragon, and thus will not be able to change my weapon loadouts after the original designations, unless I capture an enemy ship in the game. thanks in advance

sock
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fight me. Mwahahahaha!! Twisted Evil
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine Doubling. 'Nuff said. It's an addiction, but you can repair shield boxes very easy. Do it every other turn or so, and you can keep repairing your engines while repairing shields going speed 24 and firing all weapons.

SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go speed 16 and just accelerate. It's the same energy expenditure as going 24, but you get a better turn mode. I'd also stick largely with long range weapons such as disruptors and hellbores. Staying at long range maximizes the effect of your stealth coating.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon wrote:
I'd probably go speed 16 and just accelerate. It's the same energy expenditure as going 24, but you get a better turn mode. I'd also stick largely with long range weapons such as disruptors and hellbores. Staying at long range maximizes the effect of your stealth coating.

This from the guy you're fighting against! Confused

Actually, that's pretty close to what I'd do if I were the Orion player. I tend to stick to the longer range weapons and play the Orion version of sabre-dancing.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:

This from the guy you're fighting against! Confused

Actually, that's pretty close to what I'd do if I were the Orion player. I tend to stick to the longer range weapons and play the Orion version of sabre-dancing.

Well, we also happen to have been friends for a while now as well. Besides, I told him to do pretty much exactly what I'll be doing...only difference is my race invented the tactic he's 'stealing', but then he is a pirate. lol
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNordeen wrote:
Engine Doubling. 'Nuff said. It's an addiction, but you can repair shield boxes very easy. Do it every other turn or so, and you can keep repairing your engines while repairing shields going speed 24 and firing all weapons.

If you've got a Light Raider, then you can actually do it every turn. The Light Raider only loses one engine box per turn that it doubles its engines, and it has four points of Damage Control. So long as it doesn't take any additional internal damage, it can basically double engines indefinitely.
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, no option to switch load-outs between scenarios unless you capture ships with different weapons? That's kind of a shame. I'm not really up on Orion Tactics other than 'Double your engines' and 'Use Cloak'. If you want to capture ships for more weapon options, I'd recommend reading up on Directed Damage and Marine Combat. In any case, be sure to send write ups of your battle results to here. That way, you, me, and everyone can benefit from the experience. Smile
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and don't forget it's a little harder to hit and Orion than it is for an Orion to hit an opponet thanks to Stealth coating( +1 to die rolls), this makes it easier for Orions to 'Dance' in the middle ranges.
sock
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeper wrote:
So, no option to switch load-outs between scenarios unless you capture ships with different weapons? That's kind of a shame. I'm not really up on Orion Tactics other than 'Double your engines' and 'Use Cloak'. If you want to capture ships for more weapon options, I'd recommend reading up on Directed Damage and Marine Combat. In any case, be sure to send write ups of your battle results to here. That way, you, me, and everyone can benefit from the experience. Smile

i will definantly try to get some writeups on here to help others learn from my experiences.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior, are you sure about the Light Raider having a damage control rating of 4? My ship card shows a 2.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
sock
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Junior, are you sure about the Light Raider having a damage control rating of 4? My ship card shows a 2.

mine shows 4
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon wrote:

Meant to say that...it's how I normally go speed 24 unless the plasma is flying around Very Happy

jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon wrote:

1/ Don't double engines until you have to.

2/ When you double engines, be sure you use all your energy. Tractors are your friends mid game.

3/ Consider the Phaser boat - all Phaser 1's. Even without heavy weapons it's mighty scary!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:

See the second post in this thread here -

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=534

It's possible that you're looking at the Fleet Scale side of the ship card while I'm discussing the Squadron Scale side of the card. iirc, Damage Control numbers suffer from the same "cut everything in half" rule that applies to all conversions between fleet and squadron scale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: