Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiting Players for a New Online Campaign
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dread_Lord
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Recruiting Players for a New Online Campaign Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sweeper and I are thinking about restarting the Commander's Choice Online Campaign, and we are recruiting players.

The campaign will be based on Kerry Drake's set of campaign rules. The campaign will cover both a strategic and tactical ops between competing empires. On the strategic side the players will build and form fleets that will be sent to various star systems. There is a simple economic system, but system is based off of a Federation Commander style of accounting (less is more), and thus does not represent the level of detail (or commitment) that an SFB campaign (much though I do love them) would call for.

And naturally when another player disagrees with your strategic goals, those disagreements are carried out using FCOL to host the resulting battle.

So we are looking for any number of players, but currently the system can handle 5-6 empires. Those empires currently include:

Federation
Klingon
Romulan
Gorn
Kzinti

and the Orions can be hired by the above empires. The Tholians and Seltorians are currently underrepresented in the client, although if that was to be ameliorated then those empires could also be included although as always the FCOL rules for adding new SSDs apply.

The level of commitment that we are looking for isn't too overwhelming, but shouldn't be underestimated either. There is no set limit on turn turnaround, and the turns will take as long as they take. Everyone understands that real life gets in the way of more important things (like gaming! Very Happy ). One possibility if you would like to play but do not think you can provide all the time it would require to head an empire, would be to join up with one of the empires and help that player fight his/her battles as one of their Captains.

So if you are interested in playing then let me know!
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that any Borders of Madness playtest rules, like Special Sensors, could be added in if (and only if) , all players agree to their use.

Right now, the only Scout ship in the client is the Federation SC. Others could be included by modifying a ship def.

Personally, I'll abide by majority rule. But I just thought I'd throw that out before it becomes an actual issue. Smile
Sir_Krotar
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where might one find Kerry Drake's set of campaign rules?

I'd like to look at them.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry has a working link under his Commander's Options Thread.
Dread_Lord
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for convenience here is the link

http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydrake/SFB/FC_Campaign.pdf
kedrake
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I didn't realize that link still worked.
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested, but I am worried that timezone differences may make it impossible for me to participate. I am in Brisbane, Australia (GMT+10).
Dread_Lord
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazza, I think that it would be fine for you to join in, but my suggestion would be to find a team mate in the States to share an empire with. That way the impact of the time difference won't be so dearly felt.

Actually I would suggest that everyone try to have at least one team mate. First of all it means that we get more people playing FCOL (which is good for all kinds of reasons) but also because I think the campaign would run more smoothly for it.

If one team mate has a rough week because of finals, or overtime at work, or illness....or real life in general - there is someone else to take over and keep thinks moving smoothly.

Also if real life causes one player to drop out for some length of time (always the bane of online campaigns) the whole campaign doesn't have to screech to an untimely halt.

Does all this sound reasonable to everyone?
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that link!

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Dread_Lord
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just as an update I have the following confirmed players:

Sweeper
Sir_Krotar
quzziod
Dread_Lord

with a maybe in
Mazza

That is plenty for a good campaign, but I would like to leave registration open for a bit longer. So if anyone else is interested then let me know. After we reach saturation of empires any other players would need to join forces with an existing empire (with that player' permission of course) so don't be shy!
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Buddy thing could work. Alternatively, if we do end up with more folks than originally anticipated, Folks could split off and form a new campaign. No reason not to if the players are there Smile.

Now, if we could get folks like Sylvr_Dragon and Demo_joe to sign up and get zackfedex to return to the client. We'll have an interesting game. Smile
guzzoid
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: When battling, will it be fleet or squad scale?
Dread_Lord
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the current rules state

A – Play the battle out using the FC:KB rules (The scale to be used is up to the players to decided. If the players disagree use the following guideline: If there are no more than 3 ships on either side use Squadron Scale ships, if there are more than 3 ships on either side, use Fleet Scale. If a ship is only
currently available in one scale, use that scale.
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team mate idea is a good one, plus it could be great for very large battles. If I can get a team mate, I'll be in!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: