Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orion Weapon Option: The Phaser Boat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Orion Weapon Option: The Phaser Boat Reply with quote

As was stated in CL 35 (?), the phaser is the most efficient weapon system for delivering damage per engine point. This means that many Orion captains will consider adding a Phaser 1 in the weapon option mount. On a Orion CR, this will allow 5 Phaser 1 to fire into the front arc. This is an efficient arrangement, but it lacks the "crunch power" of a heavy weapon option.

At equivalent range a heavy weapon, with our without overloads, can deliver more damage points in a single volley than a Phaser 1 can. This then affects the approach tactics of the Orion. With the CR, the Orion must coordinate the phaser attacks with his drone wave to successfully bring down a sheild.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing to note is that, at least in the first few turns of engine doubling, power isn't a problem. As a result the Orion can afford to use that heavy weapon much more easily than another ship can.
Repok
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my experience in FC is limited, but I remember that the success of the Orion PH-1 boat in SFB was due in a large part to Electronic Warfare rules. The phaser efficiency, coupled with the extra power allowed the Orion to trade Alpha strikes with other ships and come out sweet on the average because of the opponent's missing.

Five PH-1s at R0 is around 30-35 dmg on average, compared to the 40+ alone of heavy weapons for most cruisers. While it's great late game because power isn't a s dear to you as it is to your heavy-weapon laden opponent, it isn't a significant advantage...because in all probability you've lost a PH-1 or two.

Whether or not they are going to allow the abomination of nature that is the PH-G boat, I don't know, but that would probably be a better use of option mounts in the FC system. I remember in SFB, every Orion priate seemed to hail from the Wyn cluster or the Hydran sector for some reason..... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: