Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon advice needed...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorn ships wallow like pigs in a mud pit, but they make up for this with phasers covering every arc. Drones can be used to make him use up his phasers, but don't count on them doing any damage in the early game.

Against the Gorn, you'll need to control the flow of the game - you will win if you Saber Dance but you'll loose a plasma ballet. Therefore, you need to monitor his power use closely and be ready to get out of range when he fires his torps but be sure to be close when he's reloading.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
The Gorn ships wallow like pigs in a mud pit, but they make up for this with phasers covering every arc. Drones can be used to make him use up his phasers, but don't count on them doing any damage in the early game.

Against the Gorn, you'll need to control the flow of the game - you will win if you Saber Dance but you'll loose a plasma ballet. Therefore, you need to monitor his power use closely and be ready to get out of range when he fires his torps but be sure to be close when he's reloading.

The problem I had the other day, when I fought the Gorn, was that there was no turn for reloading. He was spacing them out just enough to fire every turn; this was possible due to having 2 F's and an S. He ended up using them all in a single turn, that would be the turn he beat the hell out of me, but otherwise I don't think I was goign to get a break.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plasma user is spreading his fire out, then you have to be willing to "eat" some.

In other words, it might be necessary to take a Pl-F hit to get your strike in. Or, if a Pl-F is all he has left, close anyway, even though you will have to take the damage so that you can do more damage to him.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
If the plasma user is spreading his fire out, then you have to be willing to "eat" some.

In other words, it might be necessary to take a Pl-F hit to get your strike in. Or, if a Pl-F is all he has left, close anyway, even though you will have to take the damage so that you can do more damage to him.

Yea, it's just learning the how and when. It was my first fight with a Gorn and though I did lose, it wasn't a crushing defeat. I too k like 17 internals. Problem was I lost like 5 energy with the hits and going 24+1 constantly ate up so much energy that it just choked me.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the dice are always going to add their own particular twist to each game. I had a game on Friday that featured both my Klingon opponent and my own Fed ship (Fleet Scale cruisers) missing completely on our initial volleys, and the Klingon rolling well enough to effectively 'negate' my EM on the next turn.

Dealing with the bit of randomness represented by the dice (both on the damage inflicted by direct fire weapons, and where all of the internals end up) is one of the little things that good captains learn to compensate for.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
Unfortunately, the dice are always going to add their own particular twist to each game. I had a game on Friday that featured both my Klingon opponent and my own Fed ship (Fleet Scale cruisers) missing completely on our initial volleys, and the Klingon rolling well enough to effectively 'negate' my EM on the next turn.

Dealing with the bit of randomness represented by the dice (both on the damage inflicted by direct fire weapons, and where all of the internals end up) is one of the little things that good captains learn to compensate for.

Even an excellent captain can't make up for his weapons missing every time.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But an excellent captain can mitigate the fallout from the bad weapons rolls to a certain extent.

And remember that while they may not do as much damage with bad rolls, at close range phaser-1s never miss.

Razz
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
But an excellent captain can mitigate the fallout from the bad weapons rolls to a certain extent.

And remember that while they may not do as much damage with bad rolls, at close range phaser-1s never miss.

Razz

Also remember that Gorn have far more phaer-1's than Klingons. lol

I have to ask, how does one mitigate missing with 3 of 4 disruptors 2 turns in a row, while one's opponent hits with everything on both turns?

junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorn has more phasers, but they're spread out in all directions. This, imo, is one of the two weaknesses of the Gorn ships. Yes, they've got a lot of phasers. But those phasers seem to mostly be in place to keep the enemy from coming in from a direction with no facing weapons (a strategy seemingly duplicated by the Federation, who also can't maneuver very well). Klingons (and Romulans) on the other hand tend to have lots of phaser firepower focusing in certain key directions (including down the front centerline).

You outmaneuver him. Focus on coming in through the same shield - preferably one to the rear, where his S-Torps are out of arc. Focus on getting one of his shields down - preferably his #4 if possible (but be very careful about his centerline). If he blows down one of your shields...

Well, at least then you won't have to debate with yourself over whether you should risk dropping a shield to engage in hit and run attacks on the phasers in a given arc. Strip his weapons in a given direction and focus as much as you can on that part of the ship.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That still doesn't tell me how to mitigate missing with 75% of my heavy weapons. lol

I know how to play Klingons for the most part. I just had a really bad run of luck the other day. The fight was also a duel, which was something I should have specified.

Oh, and Klingons are actually really, really good at spreading out firepower. Our firepower isn't truly focused in key directions, since we can focus firepower in any direction except down our rear centerline; and even there we can usually bring multiple phaser-3's to bear...much unlike the Feds who can only truly focus down their front centerline.

junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon wrote:
[color=darkgreen]That still doesn't tell me how to mitigate missing with 75% of my heavy weapons. lol

The solution to that is simple - stall for a few turns while your damage control teams work their magic.

Wink
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:

The solution to that is simple - stall for a few turns while your damage control teams work their magic.

Wink

Only problem with that is every turn I spend repairing, he spend reloading. But it is, in general, probably the best idea. >.o
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice on the Klingons is sort of borrowed from some other tactics I read somewhere:

1. The Klingon's primary weapon is the phaser, not the disruptor. Fire all your phasers first, and then if you have power left, fire some disruptors. Don't bank on overloaded disruptors and leave phasers and the like un-fired. The same goes for the Kzinti, their primary weapon is the phaser.

2. Klingons should always be moving at least speed 16. You want to always go last against most opponents.

3. Don't expect your drones to hit. Even if you start playing Kzinti, don't expect your drones to hit. Your drones are there to prevent your opponent from shooting you with his phasers. (and also to make him use up his power)

Well, that's mostly all the advice I have actually Smile. My opponent likes to play Fed, whenever he fires off his photon volley I like to pull a HET and run in behind him, blasting as I go. Some opponents might stagger their fire, not sure how to counter that as I've yet to experience it.

Also don't forgot that you can ask your opponent's power at any time. During one battle, a Fed CA was coming at me with loaded photons but a downed front shield. I asked him how much power he had, he'd replied zero. So I launched 4 drones from two ships, and the next impulse his photon ship of doom was veering off to avoid complete destruction. I didn't kill him when they hit, but he sure as hell didn't kill me either.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul B wrote:
Well, that's mostly all the advice I have actually Smile. My opponent likes to play Fed, whenever he fires off his photon volley I like to pull a HET and run in behind him, blasting as I go. Some opponents might stagger their fire, not sure how to counter that as I've yet to experience it.

If your Federation opponent tries to stagger his photon fire, the correct response is "Thank you".

He has just taken his primary advantage, cruch power, and virtually guaranteed it would be spread across at least two shields. To a Klingon, this essentially means he has reduced his armament to being no better than yours damage wise, but with worse chances to hit.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, IMO, the Klingon BC key weapon is the disrupter when Saber Dancing. I recently played a game against a Federation CA and often moved 24 +1 leaving only enough power for Disrupters. At range 15, they're still accurate and good for 3 damage points. Phaser 2's on the other hand max out at 2 and only hit at all on rolls of 1-3 (Phaser 1's work, but Disrupters are better because of accuracy.)

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: