Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn Modes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphawolf74
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Turn Modes Reply with quote

Question about turning. If I am Turn Mode One, does that I can turn every sub-pulse that I move? Or do i have to have one sub-pulse of no movement between each turn. The same question is there for all of the turn modes actually. The rule book examples lean towards the former, but the wording goes more towards the latter.

Thanks
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine others could answer this question better than me, but my take on it is that when you turn your ship one hexside and then move forward one hex, you have fulfilled a Turn Mode of 1.

If you have a Turn Mode of 2, you turn one hexside, then must move in that same direction for 2 hexes. One could be a sideslip, but it is in the same direction and fulfills the Turn Mode 2 requirement.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is correct. You must "spend" a number of movement points equivalent to your turn mode before you can turn again, barring the use of a High Energy Turn (HET)

For example, your turn mode is 3 and you are traveling at a base speed of 16:
On sub-pulse one, you do not move.
On sub-pulse two, you turn to face direction A and move 1 hex.
On sub-pulse three, you do not move.
On sub-pulse four, you make a second move in direction A (2 moves total).
On sub-pulse one of turn2, you do not move.
On sub-pulse two, you make a third move in direction A and your turn mode is now fulfilled. On sub-pulse four, you may turn again or continue straight.

Now, other things could have happened as well:
    1) You could have side-slipped into a hx in direction B or F, but retained the direction A facing.
    2) You could have paid the deceleration cost for one or more of the scheduled moves and remained in place. (Note that even though you didn't actually move, that sub-pulse would have counted as a valid movement point towards fulfilling your turn mode).
    3) You could have paid the energy cost to accelerate at the start of the first Impulse and completed all three required movement points in one Impulse.
    4) You could have begun using Erratic Maneuvering during the Defensive Fire Phase of Impulse 1, increasing your turn mode by 1 for the duration of the EM period. This would require 4 hexes of movement indirection A before you would be able to turn to a new hex facing.

I hope that clears things up instead of just muddying the water.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplified answer is yes. When you make a turn you do so before moving the piece and not after, unlike most space combat games. So, the turning procedure is to pick up the piece, turn it to face a new hex and then you move it forward. This forward movement came after the turn and thus counts towards your next turn even though it occurs in the same sub-pulse as the turn.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Everyone got it right!

Federation Commander Answer Guy
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Yeah! Everyone got it right!

Yay! X3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: