Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Borders of Madness: Scout Rules questions.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Borders of Madness: Scout Rules questions. Reply with quote

1/ In the current communique are the updated scout rules. One of the options for sensor is to control up to 6 additional drones. Given that the two scout ships out so far (Klingon and Federation) can't launch enough to need the sensor channel control, is this to be used by later ships or can scouts take over drone control from other ships?

2/ Can bases be upgraded to include sensor channels instead of some heavy weapons? If so, what is the resulting point value?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me that particular function is pretty much useless. I say this because any ship that could launch enough drones to make use of this will most likely have the ability to control 12 drones, such as the E7D, and such ships are not given access to this function. So basically, only ships that can launch 7+ drones in a single turn and that does not possess the ability to control 12 drones and it would of course have to be equipped with a special sensor.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really there for us FedCom'ers SylvrDragon. It's there for the SFB people who want to use FedCom rules for major fleet battles - and in SFB you can transfer drone-control between ships.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMT:
Regarding question 1 - I asked SVC that question when we first saw the first draft version of the scout rules. His response was similar to Will's summation.

Transfer of drone control between ships is not allowed in Federation Commander. So I'm guessing it's included only for those SFB players that desire a chance to fight out large battles using the Fed Comm rules.

Regarding question 2: Hmmm... good question, but this will have to wait for SVC to determine. I wouldn't even begin to guess at the actual answer.
GDA Iaidoka
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one situation where it might be useful. There is a scatterpack special league card. So get all 6 drones in the air, transfer them to a scout channel, then drop a scatterpack. Great for base busting.

jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
It's not really there for us FedCom'ers SylvrDragon. It's there for the SFB people who want to use FedCom rules for major fleet battles - and in SFB you can transfer drone-control between ships.

But if there are no rules for transfering drone control in FC how can they be used for SFB?

Now that I think about it, the "fleet scale SFB" would use just the ship cards and not the rules - but then, you need to figure out what the missing stats (crew, tbombs, sensor rating, damage control, etc) would be for a fleet-scale ship.

Hrm.

Question Question Question Question

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GDA Iaidoka
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take all the usual numbers and divide them by 2?

junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
djdood wrote:

But if there are no rules for transfering drone control in FC how can they be used for SFB?

Presumeably the scout is launching the scatter-pack, which means that it has to control the drones.

I remember puzzling over this same issue (i.e. scout channel drone control) earlier, and iirc there is a ship in that issue of Captain's Log (the same one that has the special sensors) that can take advantage of the drone control - but only at Squadron Scale, iirc. I'd have to doublecheck the ship displays in that issue to confirm, however.

I'm guessing it's the drone version of the E7, but as I said I'd need to double-check.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Borders of Madness: Scout Rules questions. Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
2/ Can bases be upgraded to include sensor channels instead of some heavy weapons? If so, what is the resulting point value?

You wouldn't have to replace heavy weapons (or any weapons for that matter). Special Sensors would just be outright added to the bases.

Mobile Base: Add two sensors, one per main "pod".
Base Station: Add two sensors to center of main body.
Battle Station: Add one sensor per pod, and another to the main body (total 4).
Star Base: Add one sensor per pod, and two to the main body (total Cool.

That is for squadron scale. Fleet scale would obviously have half as many.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmt, I was wondering the same thing for question #1 aswell. So far, none of the Ships with Sensors really have much use for the ability.

But perhaps its there for Tenders and Bases? Bases can theroetically (for the Kzinti for example) launch a lot of Drones during a battle. This ability might also be useful for Tenders. If Gunboats are ever added (along with there Tenders) a SCS's Sensors could come in handy for extra Drone support. Maybe ADB is planning ahead to inlcude this function just for this reason alone... to make the Tender somewhat useful in Fed Commander. Just a guess.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

I thought that the klingon D6s scout has not being done yet so far it has the federation loilpop scout and the galactic survey ship also federation when are we going to see the klingons?.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it 6 additional DRONES or six additional SEEKING WEAPONS that the scout can control?

Suicide Shuttles also require control IIRC. So you could have a full spread of drones plus a SS or two in flight at once.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, can a cloaked ship benefit from Jamming?

I assume not, because:

1. Orions in FC don't get the stealth benefit while cloaked, and
2. They don't in SFB IIRC.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Borders of Madness: Scout Rules questions. Reply with quote

I finally dug out my relevant issue of Captain's Log.

jmt wrote:
1/ In the current communique are the updated scout rules. One of the options for sensor is to control up to 6 additional drones. Given that the two scout ships out so far (Klingon and Federation) can't launch enough to need the sensor channel control, is this to be used by later ships or can scouts take over drone control from other ships?

The E7D, published in Captain's Log #35, has six drone racks and two sensors, and can control up to twelve seeking weapons at once. Since it can launch six drones per turn, after two turns it will be controlling its full compliment of seeking weapons. If it launches another six drones on the third turn, it can use a sensor to control those drones.

Fleet Scale reduces all of those numbers by half, including drone control, meaning that the sensor is still needed to control three turns worth of drones at the same time.
kdrushal
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find that the seeking weapon control rate is halved at Fleet Scale? Rules (1C) and (4F2e) don't indicate that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: