Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC: War And Peace - Andromedan vs Federation play test repor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(3G7a) WEBS: Power absorbers do not absorb power from webs. They will absorb damage points caused by terrain (or anything else).

This line caught my attention. What happens if an Andro tries a HET and fails. Is the 10 pts of damage absorbed by PAs since they qualify as "anything else"?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
(3G7a) WEBS: Power absorbers do not absorb power from webs. They will absorb damage points caused by terrain (or anything else).

This line caught my attention. What happens if an Andro tries a HET and fails. Is the 10 pts of damage absorbed by PAs since they qualify as "anything else"?

No. The context of the sentence is about webs and terrain. However, as indicated by your question, there is uncertainty, so that should probably be clarified.

Federation Commander Answer Guy

Last edited by mjwest on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
Since Andromedans MUST use all generated power, what happens if the Andromedan either forgets or for some reason is unable to utilize all generated power at the end of a turn and Batteries are already full. Would the excess energy:

1) Dissipate?
2) Go to PA panels as damage?
3) Be taken as internal damage?

This is all normal rules.

If you generate (for example) 30 points of power on a non-Andromedan ship, and only use 20, then the other 10 points are lost. Andromedans are no different. Nothing in the Andromedan rules changes that operation.

The only part that is different for an Andromedan is that they (potentially) have tons of battery power, too. The point is that they cannot use battery power before they finish using their generated power. If they do not use all of their generated power, then they cannot dip into battery power. That is all the rule is saying.

mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can TR beams or PPDs use directed targetting? It seems that they can since there doesn't seem to be any specific rule against it, but they'd be the most powerful weapons short of PH4 that can do so.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
Can TR beams or PPDs use directed targetting? It seems that they can since there doesn't seem to be any specific rule against it, but they'd be the most powerful weapons short of PH4 that can do so.

Yes, they can.

While it is true they would be among the most powerful weapons that can do so, they are not out of scale with other powerful weapons. Also, with that power comes a much increased chance of the "blow-through" problem that directed targeting is subject to. It is a two-edged sword.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If particle cannons are indeed allowed the disruptor code (which, so far as I'm aware, they aren't in SFB) that might set a precedent for other weak heavy weapons being ported over, too - but then, maybe those weapons (when or wherever they may appear) might just have to do without, I guess.

However, I do recall that in SFB, some kind of change was made to allow shield crackers to have a (nominal) affect on PA panels. If so, is this represented in FC - and might it preclude the need for particle cannons to be given the disruptor's bonus? (For Seltorian operations, at least; of the other two PC-users, Tholians of the Will have plenty of web casters to use, while M81 Pirates could just pick different heavy weapons for their option mounts.)

Indeed, if you want to get really awkward, does the pre-existing disruptor bonus apply to the Carnivon Disruptor Cannon as outlined in CL39 Supplemental - since it's a 'disruptor' weapon? (That said, this might be more of an issue if the Carnivons ever get Main Era ships, and if said ships retain some kind of disruptor cannon technology...)
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a dyed-in-the-carapace Seltorian, I say make the Selt weapons the same as they are in SFB w/regards to the Andromedans. That means, AFAIK, no disruptor leak for the PC and Shield Crackers affect PA panels.

With your particle cannons, yes they lack crunch BUT you can put more power through them per turn than you can a disruptor, mitigating it somewhat. It's also quite hard to keep a panel bank away from the PCs, so the lack of maneuver is less of an issue. Keep plinking away and the Andro's panels should fill up eventually. Plus you have plenty of phaser-1s, which disruptor boats typically do not. (I'm thinking of Klingons and Lyrans here, but Zin usually don't have as many p-1 as the Selts, using p-3 or ADD instead.)
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
mojo jojo wrote:

Yes, they can.

While it is true they would be among the most powerful weapons that can do so, they are not out of scale with other powerful weapons. Also, with that power comes a much increased chance of the "blow-through" problem that directed targeting is subject to. It is a two-edged sword.

I can understand the TR beam since it's a beam and presumably a narrow focused weapon. However, conceptually I have difficulty with a splash weapon like the PPD to be able to direct target. It seems to be more in the arena of a Hellbore in behavior. And if PPDs can DT, would the splash elements get the directed damage if they hit a down shield?
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
As a dyed-in-the-carapace Seltorian, I say make the Selt weapons the same as they are in SFB w/regards to the Andromedans. That means, AFAIK, no disruptor leak for the PC and Shield Crackers affect PA panels.

With your particle cannons, yes they lack crunch BUT you can put more power through them per turn than you can a disruptor, mitigating it somewhat. It's also quite hard to keep a panel bank away from the PCs, so the lack of maneuver is less of an issue. Keep plinking away and the Andro's panels should fill up eventually. Plus you have plenty of phaser-1s, which disruptor boats typically do not. (I'm thinking of Klingons and Lyrans here, but Zin usually don't have as many p-1 as the Selts, using p-3 or ADD instead.)

I think the Selts need some serious help vs an Andro. I think the SC are marginal vs Andros since they rarely have the power to fire all PH1, 2 shots from PCs, *and* SC.

Using the sample cards, a good matchup is a Selt CL at 127 vs a Mamba at 130.

The CL has 3 PC, 2 SC, 6 PH1, and 4 PH3. Firing all weapons costs 21 power, or 25.5 if PCs are overloaded. It has 30+4 power total, so it's going to either leave a lot of weapons unfired, or move speed 8.

The Mam has 3 TRL and 6 PH2. The mam has 60 front PA capacity and can also remove 18 damage per turn from the front PA banks (6 from dissipation, 6 to batteries, and 6 to rear banks).

A sample turn might have the Selts move 16, fire PCs at range 15 and PC+PH1 at range 6-8 (directly centerlined). This costs 27 power, leaving 7 (enough for 2 SC plus overloading 2 PC). This averages 4.5 damage at range 15 and 24.5 at range 6-8. That's 29 average damage of which 18 will essentially go poof at the end of the turn.

The Andros fire at range 6-8. 3 TRLs and 6 PH2 average 22.5 damage. That's basically a shield wiped out already. And targetting power will make the Selts situation even more dire.

I don't like the Selt's chances. Their only hope is to get in close and stay close, which is very difficult against an opponent who has more power and is far more maneuverable. One of their key 'heavy weapons' is already useless since lots of transporters and marines won't do squat to an Andro.

The key is that one burnthrough will never reach the PA panels. Whereas if the Selts either get lucky with SC/PC hits or if they get the range to 5 or less and get 30+damage on the alpha strike, they have a chance to nail a PA with a lucking DAC roll and make the fight interesting. I think they need the help.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I noted somewhere in the middle of this thread I think the Particle cannon issue is mitigated to a reasonable extent by its 2 shots a turn ability. Whilst it lacks single volley crunch it does deal out quite a bit more damage per turn than a disrupter. The short arming cycle also provides a smaller window of opportunity for the andro to deactivate PAs between enemy volleys. The ability to fire twice a turn with every 10th point being burthrough is potentially very powerful. It does sound like that ultimatley it is as much about keeping damage hitting the panels rather than necessarily blasting through in 1 volley, Selts are fairly good at that.

[edit] and as someone above noted, andros have a harder time turning a 'shield' away within 3 impulses unlike other vessels, as it cover 180 degrees.

Whilst I am personally neutral on it as also previously noted I can see a decent argument for allowing Shield crakers to get a PA cracker enhancement.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this been said before, I'm starting to lose track a bit now.

Regarding transferring power when you deactivate a bank.

Quote:
(3G5c) TRANSFER: .....
This must be, in strict order of priority:
1. ...
2. The ship’s other power absorber panel bank (or any of a starbase’s other banks) until it is full.

I would assume that means the other bank if it is active

i.e if you decativated that bank last impulse and cleared it, but it hasn't come back up yet, then you can't now deactivate the second bank and shunt energy into still inactive one, just as it couldn't absorb normal damage?

Follow up question - what comes first, inactive banks coming back up or deactivating banks (will my inactive bank be available before I deactivate the other one)?

The same applies at the repair phase shunting power around to the other bank, I assume the other bank has to still be active?

Which also raises the question of what happens if the Andro deactivates during impulse 8, he has to keep his bank down for 2 impulses, how does that interact with the turn break? Does he still have to pay for the still deactivatd bank during EA or does the bank automatically come back up over a turn break? Is the 2 impulse minimum like the EM minimum, in that the turn break allows you to get round the minumum time requirement?
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
The ability to fire twice a turn with every 10th point being burthrough is potentially very powerful.

Only if both firings can GET to 10 points. The 10 damage needs to be in one volley for burnthrough. The question was if PCs share the problem disruptors have, being unreliable at getting to 10.

It's possible that the added pressure preventing them dropping panels easily and the added total damage per turn is enough.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirkSJ wrote:
storeylf wrote:
The ability to fire twice a turn with every 10th point being burthrough is potentially very powerful.

Only if both firings can GET to 10 points. The 10 damage needs to be in one volley for burnthrough. The question was if PCs share the problem disruptors have, being unreliable at getting to 10.

PCs On thier own at range can struggle to reach 10. But remember it's any volley with at least some Disrupter damage. A D5W at range 8 will be looking at 2 burnthrough in most cases, a decent chance of 3 if he can centerline. At range 9+ it is very hard for most disrupter ships of Cruiser size or smaller to score 20+ to get the extra burthrough.

With the disrupter burthrough bonus, the selt who splits his phasers to optimise the 2 PC volleys can average 3 burthrough a turn and a modest chance of 4 at range 8. At range 9-15 a Selt CA already has a good chance of 2 burnthrough a turn if he splits his phasers correctly with the PCs.

The klink is also more reliant on centerlining (or for other ships, getting that perfect LF/L line) whereas the Selt has to split the phasers to optimise the PCs burnthrough, and would be able to turn to get the off side phasers in for the second shot. He is therefore at an advantage already in that respect.

NB I'm not against the PC getting disruper burnthrough per se, but I'm not convinced they are that much of a disadvantage compared to disrupter ships either in damage inflicted, or due to the natural ability to allow less time to safely deactivate PAs.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine the particle cannon does not get the disruptor exception when hitting PA panels.

Disruptor cannons do not need the exception, and would not get it. While obviously of similar lineage, they are different weapons.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. The ship’s other active power absorber panel bank (or any of a base’s other banks) until it is full.

(3G4c) Transfer To Banks: An Andromedan ship may transfer power from one bank to the other (if it is active), but no more than one point of power for every undisabled panel (i.e., for ten boxes of bank capacity). Power could also be sent to the power absorbers of an energy module in the hangar (5V2) but not to a satellite ship (5V1c3).

Nice catch, Stormy Elf. You just went from a [] to a <>.

No, it's not about a disruptor being unable to get 10 points. It's about a disruptor squadron being unable to get 70 points in one turn.

Particle cannons don't have the disruptor code in SFB (go talk to Petrick if you think they should) and won't get it in FC until the SFB rule is changed.

Mike, email me about what to do with HET breakdown damage and I'll ask Petrick what SFB does (easier than looking it up myself, SFB is too complicated from me to find rules in without Petrick).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: