Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation Admiral
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be clear about a few things...

1. Jay is a great game designer, and I've never said anything less about him. No one from ADB has ever said a critical word about the DESIGN of Fed Admiral

2. There are issues with formatting, punctuation, cap guides, style books, and so forth, but we are determined to work through these because FA will be a great product.

3. When someone says it's my fault FA is late, that is a mistaken assumption that needs to be corrected. It's not my fault. It's problems noted in #2 above. I'm not going to take the blame when it's not my fault.

Note to Paul B: You were NOT "conciliatory" and clearly had no intention of being so. Your posts amounted to "Don't punish me! By the way, I am now going to repeat what you said I'd be punished for saying." You have shown no respect. You have no place here or in polite society. Your next violation will be your last. Any game publisher EXCEPT us would have thrown you out for life two posts ago. We've given you a FINAL warning.
Davyj0427
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance for a pre-order?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We take pre-orders one week before release. There is no benefit (to you or to us) to order a March product in january,and it's an administrative nightmare. There are federal laws about keeping your money that long, plus the couple of times we did it we had people changing orders, adding to orders, dropping products from orders, changing their address. It's just a nightmare that we don't need.
JonPerry
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down this is single biggest item on my groups "to buy" list.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I remain mystified by the desire for a campaign book, I respect those who want it (which is why it's on the schedule). I'm sure it will work fine without FCB3 but I'm sure it will work better and better as more and more FC ships are released.
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome news all right! Well, to me it is anyway.
JonPerry
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While I remain mystified by the desire for a campaign book

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want a campaign book!

One-off games get old and stale.
Players throw their ships (tanks, soldiers, whatever) around without regard.

For me, campaigns (manageable, controlled, limited) are always better than a series of unconnected scenarios.

They have a life and sense of continuity that stand-alone scenarios can never have. They give you something to plot and plan and talk about away from the game table.

They also give you something regular scenarios don't. Consequences.

The mini scenario, with the Kang caught on the wrong side of the Kzin border? Good stuff. The two linked scenarios, with the Klinks grabbing the Tholian PC(web) and running? Gooder stuff. That's right - gooder. Following Roxanna Vulpes squadron, stuck out there in Hydran space? More gooderer. They all involve the kind of decisions you can't get from single scenarios.

But hey, I don't need my desires to be understood. It is enough that they be respected.

Or at least appeased Smile
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonPerry wrote:
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want a campaign book!

Campaigns are certainly excellent, but..

Come up with your own campaign in discussion with those you play, a campaign custom designed to fullfill the desires of your own group. Then spend the money saved on something else?

There are probably as many ideas as to what constitutes a good campaign as there are players. I'll wait to see (or hear) what this product is aiming at before deciding whether to buy.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, the Victory By Any Means (VBAM) campaign system that FA is based on is highly modular and adaptable. You can either play it "straight out of the box" or customise it as much as you like. It's like a good RPG in that sense, especially when there is a moderator running things. I think that you will be favourably impressed with it.
JonPerry
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come up with your own campaign in discussion with those you play, a campaign custom designed to fullfill the desires of your own group. Then spend the money saved on something else?

If it is a quality product, I'll buy it and be happy with the money I've spent. Also, there is simply no way that I'll save money doing it myself versus buying it, considering how many hours it would take me to come up with a GOOD system. It wouldn't be worth my time to try to design my own space combat game. So I buy Fed Com. Same thing with campaign systems. Mostly.

Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
There are probably as many ideas as to what constitutes a good campaign as there are players

I'm sure you are right. I've been doing my homework. I've been reading what I could from the VBAM website, plus the dribblets on this forum. From what I've seen, I think that Fed Admiral will at least provide a solid framework that I can tweak and alter to suit my particular tastes as to what constitutes a good campaign. That's all I have ever asked of any campaign system for any of the periods I game in.

Again, your mileage may vary.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound likes we are probably at opposite ends of the spectrum to campaigns, like I said each player has his own idea of what a good campaign system is.

Some are happy with a series of linked missions. Some are happy with an all encompasing miltary/political/economic/exploration (4X) style campaign. And others fall in between.

Anything requiring a moderator is proabably out for us, there are only 3 of us regularly play and I expect we all want to play not moderate.

For me, it shouldn't need more than a few hours to come up with the basics of a decent campaign, of which a first playthrough will iron out most issues and let it evolve. But then I'm not after the politics and economics and strategic map and politics and research etc etc. First and foremost I want to play FC, at some point campaigns tend to become a game in their own right which you just happen to use FC (or whatever system) to play out some battles, at that point I lose interest.

I did a bit of digging on VBAM but not much. The best indicator I could find was :
Quote:
This game is similar in concept to the venerable Starfire system.

I used to really like starfire, I was less impressed with imperial starfire the campaign system. Far to detailed and micro managy for me, probably death by spreadsheet nowadays. There was an add-on pack called Akelda Dawn that I rather liked (mainly for the extra tech stuff and races), that had a simpler campaign system, but even then it was to much campaign and not enough starfire.

That said I will be interested to see what the FC campaign system turns out like, but based on experience of campaign systems for tactical games I'm wary of any such product. Hence my post in response to why any one wouldn't buy such a product.
JonPerry
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes out, I'm sure I won't be the only one posting details as to what we find inside, what it does and does not emphasize, the need for a GM, how much time to administer, etc.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are not the only one 'reviewing' it - At the very least I enjoy reading players reviews.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i've seen of VBAMs systems they usually have a lot of options of how the campaign functions, called modules, which can scale it in both size and complexity. There are options for moderated and un-moderated games. I expect to see the same flexibility from Fed Admiral.

What is interesting is you can use the base VBAM Campaign System with FC or SFB now, but you need to work at it because you will have to adapt it to work.

Now, i am not a playtester, I have just been following the development on the VBAM forums.

From what I have seen of Fed Admiral is a couple of neat adjustments to make it more "star fleety." I know it it uses movement on a strategic hex map. VBAM uses a nodal connection system (kind of like warp jump points) to move, so the Fed Admiral is much more like F&E in that respect.

What does excite me is the flexible campaign levels. Conflicts can be "grand," which is a large war like the General War. "Regional" level gives a conflict in scope similar to a Klingon/Federation border war. The smallest is "local" and you command a small group of ships in a small area (like a sliver of the border, not the whole thing) while you have superiors that handle diplomacy and assign missions to you to execute with your fleet.

So, in essence, you have more than just fighitng, wiht mission to accomplish. Fun!

I wish I could see more. I wonder if the system will work with the F&E map?
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee I’ll be buying it, partly for the collection and even if we never use it in its entirety there will hopefully good ideas etc. We can combine with the system we are using now.

Just checked this post once a gain too much Rom Ale Embarassed Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: