Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation Schematics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Neale's Starship Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Kerr Type Transport Vessel Reply with quote

The eternal damsel in distress...

Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the artwork a smidge for these while repairing and moving my gallery around...

Edit: New Artwork already posted in another thread...

Last edited by Vanguard on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that all these pictures are awesome! Can anybody tell me what is it that lowered the diagonal warp nacelles to the horizontal position on most of the Heavy Cruiser variants? Was there any specific benefit in doing that? Also with the "fast warships" Was there anything to be gained by not having the primary hulls totally round as they were on the Constitution class ships? The reason I ask because if there is no resistance in space, no friction, why would it be chosen to make the hull somewhat more aerodynamic? I've been out of it for a while and I'm looking to reconnect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will take a shot at this one.

First the Lowering of the Warp Nacelles on the Later Refits of the Dreadnaughts (CV, SCS, DNG, DNH, & DNL) as well as the Strike Cruiser (CS) and the Battle Cruiser (BCF, BCG, BCJ, BCV, and BCS) was originally done on the Dreadnaught “G” Refit. Maybe, it was based off of the Strike Cruiser's Design Data, or maybe it was not. But what was achieved right off the bat was an improvement in the Firing Arcs of the Side Phasers on the Saucer allowing them to be able to track a full 180 Degrees without hitting the Warp Nacelles. The Second advantage that was obtained with this new configuration, it actually improved the Ships overall Hull Integrity allowing an improvement in the DNGs Turn Mode. That is why it was built right in to the Battle Cruiser Design.

Next, from what I have been able to gather contray to popular belief Space is not empty… There actually are small particles of matter in space, fair enough they are widely spaced but they would cause friction/drag so that maybe part of the new “Arrowed” shape seen on all of the Fast Raiders. They also had to add extra bracing to the Ship so it could handle the increased strain of the Over Gunned Engines. And if your going to add a bunch of Metal to a Cruiser shouldn’t it look cool. Twisted Evil

There may be better Techno babble for these changes than what I have given but that is what my take on it has been.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franz Joseph himself told me in 1983 that all designs were not so much as cutting apart existing designs but making them fail safe. I see the reasoning and certainly if it could improve a firing arc or increase structural integrity I think it would make sense.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason for the "flat engines" was licensing. The BC and DNG are unique and completely ADB-designed. The "tv ship" and the Franz Joseph designs carry extra licensing baggage. It's why you almost alway see the BC on covers rather than the "tv ship" CA. It saves ADB money better spent on making more neat stuff. The can use the FJS ships and the tv-ship, it's just easier not to, IIUC.

From what I had gathered, the "spade/arrowhead" saucers of the fast Fed ships was done to both lean-out mass and improve the overall "warp dynamics" of the configuration, probably allows a narrower front profile to the warp field. Real-world reason = "make's 'em look fast".

BTW Mike Burke - I envy you getting to meet FJS. I never had the opportunity before he passed away. I'm aware of how much of an eccentric he could be, but his publications were still a huge inspiration to my current career. I have at least been able to let his daughter know how much respect I had for her dad when I was asking permission to post my DD drawing.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a letter from him. I might still have it, I don't know If I find it, I'll post it. I didn't meet him in person just quoted what he said in the letter. I wrote him in 1983.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Federation Schematics Reply with quote

All your art is great.

btw Kearsarge is NCL not NCA.

I always have trouble remembering what some of the ship class abbreviations stand for anyway. I should make a list.
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Federation Schematics Reply with quote

Wolverin61 wrote:
All your art is great.

btw Kearsarge is NCL not NCA.

I always have trouble remembering what some of the ship class abbreviations stand for anyway. I should make a list.

Don't feel bad. I am making the list, and I'm still getting it wrong. Smile

Anyway, conjectural Wyoming Class DDH

Last edited by Vanguard on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What product is that John F. Kennedy class CF in? It's exactly the figure I was thinking about making, and the ship I said I needed in the What new ships do you want? thread. I called it a fast battlecruiser though.
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeBurke wrote:
I had a letter from him. I might still have it, I don't know If I find it, I'll post it. I didn't meet him in person just quoted what he said in the letter. I wrote him in 1983.

Ok, I found this letter dated 8308.03 ( 8-3-83) How would I go about posting it? Do I need to post it xsomewhere and make a BBCODE reference to it or something?

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you scanned it and put it up on Photobucket (or something like it) you can link it back here like THIS.
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neale,

The second ship in this topic is listed as "Kearsarge Class (NCA)", but that's actually an NCL. I checked your web site ... you have it the same there, too. I don't know how it's been up here for so long and no one noticed before now. Confused

Also, I checked the toolkit images on your site, and I can't figure out what part was added as the secondary hull to convert the Kearsarge to the Chicago-class NCA. Would you point it out to me, please? Thanks!!

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all the parts I've drawn like this are toolkit parts. A lot of them, particularly pylons and unique hull forms, are just kinda 'on their own' as needed for each ship. Generally, I draw them up first, and if SEVERAL ships use the same pieces, then I throw them up as toolkit parts.
Shawn350
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What program do you use to draw this stuff it looks Great!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Neale's Starship Art All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: