Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Die Roll Modifers and "column shift"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Die Roll Modifers and "column shift" Reply with quote

The rules state that "For phasers and fusion beams, if the modified die roll is greater than six, move to the next column to the right (one column per shift; seven moves one column, eight moves two)."

Does this mean "read as though you had rolled a six in the next column over", or "read as though you had rolled whatever you rolled in the next column over"?

For example, I am an Orion using Evasive Maneuvers; a +3 modifier. My opponent rolls a 4 when firing a phaser at Range 2. The total adjusted result is 7. Does my opponent read 6 from the "Range 3" column, or 4 from the "Range 3" column?
John Schneder II
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
While I am no FC rulesmaster, if it works like SFB, then your opponent reads 6 on the range 3 column.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems pretty clear to me that the intent is that it works as in SFB - i.e. a '5' at range 1 with a +2 die roll modifier is treated as a '6' at range 2.

So while the rule may be worded a little oddly, that's the way that I'd treat it.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Die Roll Modifers and "column shift" Reply with quote

MikePowers wrote:
Does this mean "read as though you had rolled a six in the next column over" ...?

This is correct.

(As mentioned by the others.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the best way to tell new players or players who don't know the rule very well is to say that a roll of "5" with a +2 modifier increases the Die roll to "6" and then "pushes" the Die Roll to the next column (in this case, Range 2).
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I've always been playing it.

It always does seem a bit harsh, though. It makes the higher numbers suddenly be a cliff; if I roll a 1,2,3, or 4 against a target on EM, I lose one or two points of damage. But if I roll a 5 I lose four or five; if I roll a 6 I might miss entirely.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true for phasers.

For most heavy weapons, it's even worse since they're generally 'hit or miss', and a modified roll higher than a '6' guarantees a miss.
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you guys think its too harsh of a penelty. You still got 2 out of 3 odds of still causing some damage with Phasers and other simlar weapons. With no Electronic Warfare (excluding the new Senor Rules) EM is all you got to defend your self and you are severaly limted in other ways when preforming EM (can't fire weapons, seeking weapons can still hit you).

That severe drop off in damage with die rolls of "5" or greater is probably what the EM is suppose to be useful for in a Phaser Sabre Dance.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to call that, "taking pot shots."

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: