Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Fleet Alert for August 2, 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation Commander News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Star Fleet Alert for August 2, 2010 Reply with quote

http://starfleetgames.com/Alert_100802_PD20M_Fed1.pdf

Check it out! More information about PD20M Federation!
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Though my bank account doesn't think so since I have to keep buying more and more stuff since ADB keeps making more and more cool stuff!

Not to nitpick, or whatnot, but should the blurb for the OCA say 'Constitution' and not 'Constellation'? I know the Constellation was an old ship that was around about the time of the OCA, but isn't the class more properly called the Constitution class? Or has ADB defined the Constellation as another class of ship before the Constitution (and after the Republic class).

I do remember this coming up once before, I think in the ship description of he Fed Strike Cruiser in the Romulan Attack rulebook, but I'm not sure.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, the reference in the ship description for the Fed CS in FC:RB was deemed a typo and should have been Constitution.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a little discussion about these ships on the forum bbs. I found out there that the OCA came first, then the Constellation class, then the Constitution class. The Constellation class was kind of light the DDM. It had only 2 photons and less powerful warp engines. The OCA was the heavy version of the old light cruiser.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you quote the thread on that or post a link to it?

I, like Will, still remember that Constellation is not a separate class, and that was a typo. The only official reference I can find on the BBS asking about it does not mention the Constellation being a separate class and says that the Republic was the early CA which was upgraded to the Constitution.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe constellation class is a hol over from the fasa rpg. Republic class is the yca in sfb.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the relevant text from Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Rules Questions: Questions on Ships

Quote:
By John Wyszynski (Starsabre) on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 11:06 pm

The NCC-1001 to NCC-1005 refer to the GCA class (module R8) which were converted from YCA class ships. They are unrelated to the OCA class ships.

By Michael Bennett (Mike) on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 11:37 am

Hmmm...I don't have module R8 and don't know what the GCA class is. Can you point me to a place here that has more info or can more info be provided?

Thanks!

Edit: I found *some* references to the GCA while doing a search here, but I still have no idea what they looked like or SSDs.

By Jeremy Gray (Gray) on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 12:26 pm

Mike, GCA... think a YCA with modernized systems. No increase in photons, but (in the Fed case at least) better phasers, fully capable tractors, transporters, etc.

Basically a YCA brought up to "barely" modern standards. Might still have been marginally viable as a warship in Y130, but by Y170 only really useful for holding off a LR. If you want to get a feel...take the YCA...replace the Ph-2s with Ph-1s. Play with none of the EY restrictions on EW, trans, tractors, shuttles, etc. Might have a fighting chance against a modern frigate or a slow DD.

By Michael Bennett (Mike) on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 09:32 pm

The reason I asked is because I'm working on a story that really needs to have an older cruiser in it. The story takes place two years after the disappearance of the Aurora colony. Since the Constitution class CAs became fleet flagships in Y130 (when Aurora disappeared), it makes sense that GCAs would still have been used at least for patrol duties in Y132.

So, does a GCA on patrol in Y132 makes sense?

By Steven E. Ehrbar (See) on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 11:08 pm

Quote:

So, does a GCA on patrol in Y132 makes sense?

Yes.

According to the history in R8, GCAs were mobilized for patrols in the General War (though by that late only in the off-map area and on the Gorn border; an attempt to use them against the Klingons in Y171 was fairly disastrous). So it's historically appropriate for them to still be patrolling in Y132.

Looking just at combat ability . . . sure, a GCA in Y132 will be outclassed by a Klingon D6 or Kzinti CS. But it's okay against the slow-drone, pre-refit E4 or CL, which are the next-largest MY-tech ships in the Klingon and Kzinti fleets in Y132.

By Michael Bennett (Mike) on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 09:55 pm

Just a couple more things about the Early CA for the Feds.

Does it have only 2 photons and warp engines of 12 apiece?

And would these ships be considered Constellation class starships?

By Nick Samaras (Koogie) on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 10:53 pm

Yes, you are correct. Only two photons and 12-box engines. These are the Republic class.

1371-Republic
1372-Reshadijie
1373-Ramilles
and others

By Michael Bennett (Mike) on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 08:48 am

I was thinking more in terms of NCC numbers in the 1000's, such as 1004 or such. I thought the Republic class was pretty much the same on a SSD as a Constitution class and was a new class upgrade from the Constellation class.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:59 pm
===============================
Michael Bennett asked on Sunday, July 04, 2010: This info is from the file containing the Federation NCC ship registry numbers: 1001 Revenge (Old CA used by National Guard) 1002 Warspite (Old CA used by National Guard) 1003 Tuqareg (Old CA used by National Guard) 1004 Stalwart (Old CA used by National Guard) 1005 General Teloma Monora (Old CA used by National Guard). A CL article (I think in CL38) said there were only two oCA's produced. The ships listed above were in a separate category from the Constitution class CA's. What type of CA's were the ones listed above?
REPLY: John Wyszynski correctly answered this. The listed ships were YCAs upgraded to middle years technology and used by the National Guard becoming GCAs as seen in Module R8.
Michael Bennett asked on Monday, July 05, 2010: The reason I asked is because I'm working on a story that really needs to have an older cruiser in it. The story takes place two years after the disappearance of the Aurora colony. Since the Constitution class CAs became fleet flagships in Y130 (when Aurora disappeared), it makes sense that GCAs would still have been used at least for patrol duties in Y132. So, does a GCA on patrol in Y132 makes sense?
REPLY: Steven E. Ehrbar correctly answered this as "yes".
Michael Bennett asked on Tuesday, July 06, 2010: Just a couple more things about the Early CA for the Feds. Does it have only 2 photons and warp engines of 12 apiece? And would these ships be considered Constellation class starships?
REPLY: Nick Samaras correctly answered: "Yes, you are correct. Only two photons and 12-box engines. These are the Republic class."
Michael Bennett asked on Wednesday, July 07, 2010: I was thinking more in terms of NCC numbers in the 1000's, such as 1004 or such. I thought the Republic class was pretty much the same on a SSD as a Constitution class and was a new class upgrade from the Constellation class.
REPLY: Three of the Republic Class cruisers were upgraded all the way to being to all intents and purposes the same as a Constitution Class ship, but the expense to do such upgrades was literally more than the cost to build a new Constitution class ship from scratch, so no others were so upgraded, but continued to serve as GCAs.

=====
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, there are three "heavy cruiser" classes:
YCA: Republic Class. This is the Early Years heavy cruiser.
GCA: Republic Class. This is an Early Years heavy cruiser with unmodified warp engines, but otherwise modern systems (full transporters, Ph-1, etc).
CA: Constitution Class. This is the "modern" heavy cruiser. The base version is in Briefing #2. The fully refitted version is in Klingon Border.

Note that both the GCA and YCA are the "Republic class". Note also that a very few CA (13xx) are also "Republic class", just to keep things confusing. Using the term "Constellation class" threw me off because the 1017 Constellation is a full, normal CA, and there is no Constellation class.

The GCA hasn't been done because if the GCA gets done, then the whole set of "guard" cruisers and destroyers and frigates get thown into the mix. For the Feds, that would be the GCA, GDD, GFF. But all of the other empires have equivalent ships, too. I guess Steve can change his mind and start doing them, but I don't see a compelling reason to.

To make the GCA, simply use the YCA from Captain's Log #39, replace the Ph-2 with Ph-1, and ignore all Early Years restrictions. That is, quite literally, the GCA.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

i like the look of these new ships and look forward to getting them
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike West, thanks for the clarification. Republic class ONLY -- no Constellation class.

Now if I only had a copy of CL#39...

=====
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Mike West, thanks for the clarification. Republic class ONLY -- no Constellation class.

Now if I only had a copy of CL#39...

It is worth the $20. Trust me, I got it for my birthday and would gladly have payed 20 bucks for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation Commander News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: