Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some thoughts about the client
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts about the client Reply with quote

I've been using the client fairly regularly the last month or so and had some questions/observations.

-- Is there no HET button? Could we get one if not?

-- It's not immediately obvious how players resume a saved game. There is the obvious "Load game ..." option, but the only way Active Ingredient and I got our game to reload properly is by having us each load the saved game separately. Maybe there's an easier way, but "re-synching" didn't seem to help.

-- The tractors seem to operate wonkily. Active Ingredient, who used them on me, could probably comment more effectively on this. Basically, when he was tractoring me, I got dialogue boxes asking me if this was ok (HELL NO, it wasn't Very Happy ). Is that how it should work? I realize there's the possibility of tractor auctions at the moment of engagement, but it didn't seem as if I was being asked about that. I would also get multiple yes/no dialog boxes, though I couldn't tell you what-all they were for.

-- This didn't come up last night when we were playing, but I don't think the client has a way to account for pregame photon preloading (4C2c). My understanding is that energy has to be adjusted manually. Seems like there should be an option somewhere to select for that, since it's the most common situation for a photon player.

-- Seems to me like there should be a "speed change" phase (1E2a) before the first movement subpulse in order to mimic the sequence of play in the rulebook. Granted, it's functional to accelerate in the first movement subpulse on the client, but I'm leaning toward thinking there should be a formal step built in for that in the client's sequence of play.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the Photon thing too.

Also, how do you use labs and probes and suicide shuttles and marines and... all that other stufff that nobody ever uses.
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuttles can be launched under the "Systems" tab, the same place where "Energy," "Movement," "Fire," and "Launch" are. You can select the size of the payload in a pulldown menu. The shuttle is called an "admin shuttle," though, which I gather is an SFB term and may or may not be accurate applied to suicide shuttles.

There is a "system" for ship raiding, but I'm not sure how it works.

I don't know about probes. Even if it didn't handle probes for information, probes as weapons would be a tournament-type option, I would think.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we the only ones talking on this thread anyway?
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallloooooooo! Very Happy

Paul may check in here. I know there are a few other players, too, as I have occasionally heard about them or even seen them in the wild.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that school's over, I'll have more time to go on the Client and even upgrade it. How much does the full client include?
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's $10 for three months for just FC or SFB. There are combo SFB/FC options as well. You can also pay by the year, though it's basically the same price as the quarterly rate.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many product's ships' are there?
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not totally sure. Probably both "border" sets, KA, and RA. Battleships isn't in there. DK isn't. TA may or may not be.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have the full client?

Also, how often are you there, and what's you're username there? If I see you I'd like a match! Very Happy
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an account, but there are just lists of ships, and I don't have all the products to match them up.

I'm "jpat" over there, too. PM me sometime, though not this weekend, and we can set something up.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, If you're open during the week I'm good too.
Andromedan
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-- Is there no HET button? Could we get one if not?

On the list to add.

Quote:
-- It's not immediately obvious how players resume a saved game. There is the obvious "Load game ..." option, but the only way Active Ingredient and I got our game to reload properly is by having us each load the saved game separately. Maybe there's an easier way, but "re-synching" didn't seem to help.

This is the current way to resume a saved game.

Quote:
-- The tractors seem to operate wonkily. Active Ingredient, who used them on me, could probably comment more effectively on this. Basically, when he was tractoring me, I got dialogue boxes asking me if this was ok (HELL NO, it wasn't Very Happy ). Is that how it should work? I realize there's the possibility of tractor auctions at the moment of engagement, but it didn't seem as if I was being asked about that. I would also get multiple yes/no dialog boxes, though I couldn't tell you what-all they were for.

This is the current way. Since there is no interactive way of doing a tractor auction. The tractor auction needs to be announced via the chat and then the person tractoring the other person tractors them.

Quote:
-- This didn't come up last night when we were playing, but I don't think the client has a way to account for pregame photon preloading (4C2c). My understanding is that energy has to be adjusted manually. Seems like there should be an option somewhere to select for that, since it's the most common situation for a photon player.

Currently, that is the case. The client currently does not support the idea of pre-loading Photons on Turn 0.

Quote:
-- Seems to me like there should be a "speed change" phase (1E2a) before the first movement subpulse in order to mimic the sequence of play in the rulebook. Granted, it's functional to accelerate in the first movement subpulse on the client, but I'm leaning toward thinking there should be a formal step built in for that in the client's sequence of play.

This is doable. But I will need to look into the code. I have not looked at that aspect of the code for awhile.[/quote]
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul, for the reply.
Andromedan
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a "system" for ship raiding, but I'm not sure how it works.

Actually, it is simple (if you know about it).

Go to the "System" tab. Select "Raid Ship" as your action. Select the "From" ship that you will be using the transporters from and then click on the system boxes on the ship that you are raiding. And then click "Execute"

Last edited by Andromedan on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: