Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Plasma Bolts Practical? (or Plasma-G even as a torpedo)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Please start a new thread if you want to talk about Kzinti tactics.

Getting back to plasma, as an opponent of plasma, you need to keep your base speed at 24 and take the shots you can. Don't get too close unless you have to. Don't slow down unless he is empty. Keep your range up even if he is empty.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry about that Embarassed .

Also, how do you ever destroy a plasma ship if you always stay away from it?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot more often. Instead of trying to get that single guaranteed hit, accept worse odds on your individual shots and compensate by firing more shots. (Yes, this results in longer games.)

Look at the D7 vs Fed CA. If both ships insist on charging each other and swapping alpha strikes, the D7 is probably gonna lose. It can't do that, while the CA can. To win, the D7 has to open the range, play to his advantages, and take more time.

It is very similar with plasma ships. They can do a lot of damage in one shot. Your job (as a non-plasma ship) is to not take that one shot.

Am I saying it is easy? No. But like any other matchup, if you dive into his trap, you are probably going to lose.

junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, the only ship that should always focus on closing to point blank range is a Hydran armed with Fusion Beams. And even those should be careful around plasma and photon opponents.

For every other ship type, the optimal combat range will vary based on the opponent that you're fighting.

Quote:
In general, keep rolling plasma torps

FedCom doesn't allow rolling delay on torpedoes. On the third turn, you MUST finish arming it.

For Plasma-R torpedoes, this means that you should probably finish them as 'S' torpedoes, and then upgrade them to an 'R' at the moment of firing.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
FedCom doesn't allow rolling delay on torpedoes. On the third turn, you MUST finish arming it.

That is correct. However, it is NOT a disadvantage at all, as it means that you have a torpedo you can hold and fire, even if the torpedo box is damaged. Plus, the holding cost is the same as the rolling delay.

Quote:
For Plasma-R torpedoes, this means that you should probably finish them as 'S' torpedoes, and then upgrade them to an 'R' at the moment of firing.

Consider finishing them as 'G' torpedoes. The reason is that the hold cost is only 1 instead of 2. You do have to pay for that "missing" point when you finally fire it, but you will still save energy if you don't know that you are firing it this turn. In this case, the holding cost is less than the rolling delay.

Keep in mind, however, this doesn't work as well if you do get the torpedo box damaged. In that case, the torpedo is "trapped" as a type-G that can't be upgraded. It is all a balance, but don't immediately dismiss completing and holding it as a type-G.

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a nice summary of the plasma arming/holding rules on this thread:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=5792&highlight=#5792

Ok, I started the thread but I still find it useful to clarify my sometimes muddled thinking... Embarassed
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's why I always lose to plasma, I'm used to rushing at the enemy when my photons are ready and discombobulating his ship.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
Quote:
In general, keep rolling plasma torps

Yes, sloppy use of terms on my part. The point I wanted to get across is to always have one torp "in the tube" as a threat to keep your opponent honest.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ship rushing in with overloaded photons can be frustrated by a more maneuverable opponent who can lob plasmas at him (or drones or disruptors) coupled with phasers. The opponent just keeps his speed up and he can stay away for quite awhile. And all during that time, the photon player is getting his forward shields ripped to shreds. After they're worn down, will he be as willing to continue his rush strategy?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.... but if the enemy is being difficult, the fed could repair shields instead of pursuing.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you still need to keep up your speed at 24 (16 with accelerations might get you by depending upon the distance), with some energy leftover for phasers, so repairing shields isn't as easy as it might seem (2 or 3 boxes per turn).

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fed player could let the Klingon run off and sit stationary while repairing shields, he woulndn't have to be sat speed 24 or any speed at all.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
the fed player could let the Klingon run off and sit stationary while repairing shields, he woulndn't have to be sat speed 24 or any speed at all.

If the Fed player wants to sit at speed zero, and use his power to repair his shields... I think i could pump more damage into him each turn with my disruptors than he could repair. Eventually, I'd wear him down to the point where I could close...

especially after I'd dropped an off-side shield and closed to range 5 for a few selective H&R raids on the out-of-arc Photons.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
especially after I'd dropped an off-side shield and closed to range 5 for a few selective H&R raids on the out-of-arc Photons.

A photon ship that is going Speed Zero will never have out-of-arc Photons to a single opponent keeping range as long as he keeps using Low Energy Turns. You can't keep 5+ hex range and move faster than the photon ship can turn, since he can turn once per impulse.

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if he was repairing, it would take a lot longer to bring down the sheild. Plus he'd probably have at least some photons ready for when you closed in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: