Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Breakers Against Globular Web
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Web Breakers Against Globular Web Reply with quote

If a segment of a globular Web is destroyed by Web breakers, Does the Web become Free Standing?
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no, and say the web is strength zero in that spot. I, however, dont have the rulebook in front of me.
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought web breakers effect the total strength of the web, not just the segment you shooting at, in which case you cannot just destroy a hex of that web.
I may be wrong though as I dont have rules in front of me.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As s-bob points out, a web breaker affects the total strength of the entire web segment. In the case of a globular web, it is the entire web. So, if you drop the total strength of a globular web, it just goes away entirely.

Remember that there are two types of circular web. One kind is a continuous strand of web that goes around in a circle and connects to itself. This is a globular web. The other kind is a circle that has six straight segments that are each terminated by an anchor (usually an asteroid) placed at each "corner". (There are corners because a hex map is used.) This is NOT a globular web, but rather six independent linear webs that happen to share common web anchors.

So, in the case of a true globular web, you attack the strength of the whole web at once and, when reduced to nothing, the entire web is eliminated.

In the case of a set of six linear webs arranged in a circle, each segment is independent. Therefore, a web breaker will only attack the strength of that particular linear web and, once reduced to nothing, only that segment will disappear. The other five linear web segments will remain.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, thanks! In our next game we're playing a tolian CA with a six hex five strength globular Web vs. a Seletorian CA. I guess my Web will survive longer now, so that's not a bad thing.
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that web wont last long on its own, web breakers are lethal. get into contact and increase the strength of it.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as he said 6 hex globular web, It appears he's planning on star castling in the web --
A bit suicidal, don't see any reason to knock the web down unless the Bug charges into it and the Rock flys out ---
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the web breakers will destroy my Web quickly, but He can't shoot me until he gets caughtAnd at that point he'll be diverting enrgy towards PC's anyway.

I'm still debating whether to take the all distruptor or Half-and-Half version of the CA... I'll probably go Half and Half (gives me more crunch power for when he eliminates my Web)
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
The other kind is a circle that has six straight segments that are each terminated by an anchor (usually an asteroid) placed at each "corner". (There are corners because a hex map is used.) This is NOT a globular web, but rather six independent linear webs that happen to share common web anchors.

So does that mean that you account for all six 'segments' separately; is it not a single web but with six strands?
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have one Web with six Hexes. Sorry for the confusion, I should have explained that better.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
mjwest wrote:
The other kind is a circle that has six straight segments that are each terminated by an anchor (usually an asteroid) placed at each "corner". (There are corners because a hex map is used.) This is NOT a globular web, but rather six independent linear webs that happen to share common web anchors.

So does that mean that you account for all six 'segments' separately; is it not a single web but with six strands?

Correct.

Quote:
No, I have one Web with six Hexes. Sorry for the confusion, I should have explained that better.

Read what he quoted. He wasn't referring to you. Your explanation was clear enough.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
Kang wrote:
mjwest wrote:

Correct.

Which is correct? If I have a giant hexagonal web of 30 hexes, anchored at all six corners with asteroids, can not a Tholian ship at any point around that hexagonal web reinforce the whole thing? So it's one web strand but with six segments - I think I'm getting it?
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you got 6 seperate webs there if anchored at 6 corners.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Which is correct? If I have a giant hexagonal web of 30 hexes, anchored at all six corners with asteroids, can not a Tholian ship at any point around that hexagonal web reinforce the whole thing? So it's one web strand but with six segments - I think I'm getting it?

You might be able to say that it's either one. I'd need to doublecheck the rules. However, if it is a globular web, then the big rocks serve no purpose as you can't anchor a globular web.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to anchor a globular while your creating it (You can use shuttle to anchor) ---
Once your done it becomes a singular web, anchoring itself ---

Piney,
How did you get your opponent to agree to allow you to start the battle with the web laid ----
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: