Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plasma Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, that's a mistake on the player playing 2 ships. You stack them and run them as a single 'unit' where possible. Then yo are talking a whole different ball game.

Later in the game, splitting up forces can be advantageous, but usually not at the start.
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to echo, and refine Sir Drakes advice.

There are three basic Functions for a plasma Torpedo.
(1) Seeking Weapon
(2) Direct Fire
(3) A Big Threat

(1) As a Seeking Weapon
There are three reasons to launch a plasma torp as a seeking weapon, (A) To influence the enemy's maneuver, ie, make him run from you. WHile he is running, you can postition yourself for phaser attacks. If you shoot out his aft shield, you make it harder for the enemy to run without getting damaged. Phasers become your primary weapon.
(B) The second reason to launch is to cause damage. Usually the enemy will move as 24+1 and you won't actually cause much damage. IF however, he make a mistake when maneuvering, and the torpedo will hit, by all means, launch the torps.
(C) The 3rd reason to launch torps is to absorb enemy phaser fire. You can follow your torpedoes in your attack run if it fits your tactics. Usually the enemy will spend some time running out the torpedo, then fire phasers to reduce the warhead.

(2) Plasma as Direct Fire
(A) Bolting - If the enemy is running from your torps, consider lobbing an occasional bolt into his aft shield. If you are going to penetrate shields, then target engines with your bolt and phasers. You will slow your opponent down and make it easier for future plasma torps to hit.
(B) Carronade - If inside range 5, carronade your F torps, don't bolt them.

(3) Threat - Sometimes that R torpedo is best left in the launcher for a while. You may get more benefit from threatening the enemy with the plasma then actually launching it. Sometimes the threat of an action is more useful than the actual action.

Hope that helps some.

Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't hold an R iirc unless you are a Starbase.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but you can hold a G-torp in an R box and upgrade to an R when you fire it.

A loaded torp in an R-box is always a threat since it can come out as an R.

junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNordeen wrote:
True, but you can hold a G-torp in an R box and upgrade to an R when you fire it.

Unless you blow up the torp box during the Direct Fire Phase before they can fire it.

You can still fire the torpedo anytime before the end of the turn. But you can no longer upgrade it.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
DNordeen wrote:

Unless you blow up the torp box during the Direct Fire Phase before they can fire it.

You can still fire the torpedo anytime before the end of the turn. But you can no longer upgrade it.

Yes, that is all true, and must always be kept in mind.

But it isn't that bad. Remember that you will usually have other plasma torpedo boxes to pad the Pl-R, and that when it is the last one left, you have Frame Damage to pad it.

So, if you have had all of your other plasma and all of your Frame Damage shot off, the state of your Pl-R torpedo is probably not gonna save you ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
But it isn't that bad. Remember that you will usually have other plasma torpedo boxes to pad the Pl-R, and that when it is the last one left, you have Frame Damage to pad it.

So, if you have had all of your other plasma and all of your Frame Damage shot off, the state of your Pl-R torpedo is probably not gonna save you ...

Unless you're flying a War Eagle.

Also, Hit and Run raids for the particularly foolhardy are a possible way to deal with an R-torp that's still in the tube but at a lower status. And those can't be mitigated by shunting the damage to another torpedo. Though I know I'd be really reluctant to get into transporter range with a ship that had a torpedo sitting in its R tube.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather hit-and-run a cloaking device
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:

The Cloaking Device won't kill you as quickly as the R-torp will.

But most ships have enough transporters to H&R both.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a plasma-related question:

If one was flying a plasma variant of the ISC Star Cruiser (one which had a third PL-S in place of the PPD) how would one make the most out of the alternate weapon configuration in FC?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
pinecone wrote:

The Cloaking Device won't kill you as quickly as the R-torp will.

But most ships have enough transporters to H&R both.

The cloaking device is more Annoying though.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were afraid you were going to lose it to direct fire you could just upgrade and bolt it in direct fire.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
The cloaking device is more Annoying though.

I'd much rather be annoyed than crippled.

Your mileage may vary.

Gary -

I'd need to double check, but the thing that comes most immediately to mind is the ability to force certain races (such as the Hydrans and the Feds) to keep their distance by the simple expedient of launching one plasma torpedo every turn (if you've got the power for it). A basic plasma tactic is to use the long rearming period of plasma torpedoes against the ship carrying the torpedoes. But whereas most plasma cruiser carry two of the larger torpedoes, a full three allows you to always have at least one ready at all times. In particular, this could be a problem for a Hydran player given the shortage of heavier phaser-1s on most Hydran ships. It might take a while, but I would imagine that any ISC ship with three Plasma-S torpedoes should be able to wear a Hydran Fusion ship down through long-range sniping. Any attempt to close can be initially met with a single Plasma-S to encourage them to turn away, followed by the other two torpedoes (assuming that they haven't been used on previous turns) once the Hydran is irrevocably committed to the overrun.

I'd need to doublecheck the ship display (which I don't have handy at the moment) to verify that the power curves work properly, however.
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peeps I normally play with tend to be very nervous when I de-cloak since it normally means some one is about to eat a Plasma R very soon.

Althrough after being caught by a Gorn carronade I tend to be careful about closeing to much on a Gorn ship.

Best bit of plasma advice I can think of don't under estimate bolting, alot of people tend to forget to use them, or that they let a plasma ship reach out and touch someone fairly well. I've manged to get people a few times when they thought they where outside plasma torp range. (Or using power to run like mad, so I throw a few plasma F's bolted to snipe his shields.)
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean, Junior - but in the ISC case, that CA would still also have the rear-firing plasmas to consider.

Would using all of these plasmas just slow the ship too much - or would a Concordium captain aboard a plasma-variant be able to afford not to worry too much about arming the rear-firing torps, if the tactic of one S a turn was being used?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: