Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drone turning after launch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storeylf - the only place I ever saw it was in the last post on the first page of this thread: http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=658

Hope this helps Smile
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that post by Mike West, he mentioned that he thought the issue of launching a drone in the same hex as its target was covered in a Communique. His post was in October of 2007, so I went back and checked all issues of Communique up to Oct. of 2007 and did not find anything about this situation in the Questions sections or the Rules Updates sections.

Maybe its just me, but I'm still a little confused about this.

It seems clear that a drone launched in the same hex as its target would impact the target in that same hex if the target is moving at Speed 24 or less. If the target is moving 24, it will move before the drone moves in Sub-Pulse #2, but then the drone will enter the target's hex (perhaps by using the HET it is allowed if it will hit its target).

I assume that if the target does not move at all in Sub-Pulse #2 that the drone will impact it because the drone is scheduled to move in Sub-Pulse #2 and would traverse the space between the launching ship and the target ship within that hex.

What is a little confusing is when the drone might impact if launched in the same hex as its target. This could make a difference with which shield the drone hits.

Does the drone have to actually move during one of its scheduled movement Sub-Pulses in order to hit?

OR, does the drone automatically hit during Sub-Pulse #1 because it is in the same hex as its target as the Impulse begins?

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember making a ruling around the case when a seeking weapon and its target move "through" each other to say that, yes, the seeking weapon will impact. The end result was what Terry said, which is that if a seeking weapon and its target end a movement sub-pulse in the same hex, the seeking weapon will impact.

So, if a ship not moving 24+1 is in the same hex as a newly launched drone targetted on it, then the drone will hit at the end of sub-pulse #1. The speed of the target ship does not matter.

However, prior to the impact on sub-pulse #1, the ship still "moves" first. Therefore, the ship can perform an HET before the drone impacts.

And, yes, (4F4a) probably needs an extra sentence or two to explicitly state this.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, MW. I'll copy and paste it into my set of rules right now!

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
I do remember making a ruling around the case when a seeking weapon and its target move "through" each other to say that, yes, the seeking weapon will impact. The end result was what Terry said, which is that if a seeking weapon and its target end a movement sub-pulse in the same hex, the seeking weapon will impact.

So, if a ship not moving 24+1 is in the same hex as a newly launched drone targetted on it, then the drone will hit at the end of sub-pulse #1. The speed of the target ship does not matter.

However, prior to the impact on sub-pulse #1, the ship still "moves" first. Therefore, the ship can perform an HET before the drone impacts.

And, yes, (4F4a) probably needs an extra sentence or two to explicitly state this.

Oldish thread, but it is a variation on the above that I'm trying to work out.

I was hoping this was in the new reference book but it isn't that I can see. I'm looking at a scenario where the ship moves into the launch hex after the seeker was launched, but on an impulse that it is due to move. Now on a strict interpretation of the rules, and the above, the drone has not yet impacted as it is not the end of the sub pulse until it after it has moved. 4f2c doesn't apply as it was not launched in the same hex as the target, and a HET woudn't apply (assuming the seeker wasn't a shuttle) as the seeker then has to move a hex after the turn (4G3). I expected the seeker to have hit, but from the rules as I read them, and the above, it still appears to have to move and has to follow the 1 hex straight ahead after launch rule (2C3b), leaving the target free and behind it.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, at any point of a movement sub-pulse, a drone moves into the hex of its target, or the target moves into the hex of a drone, the drone immediately impacts.

Another case like you describe is a drone and its target are facing directly at each other, in adjacent hexes. Both move. By the same reading of the rule, they would exchange hexes. But that is not how it works.

Again, the moment that a drone and its target occupy the same hex as a result of movement, the drone will immediately impact.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: