Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Basic Tactics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Grogan
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Very Basic Tactics Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've now played the game about half a dozen times, but it has always been the basic duel scenario because every game I have been teaching people how to play. Only 2 of them games I have used the full rules.

Anyway, since I've never played against anyone who I havent taught, everyone who has played (including me) hasnt the faintest idea about even the basic tactics - we just power our ships and see what happens.

I pretty much always set the ships up (usually 2 per side as it is more interesting), roughly facing each other, with about 30 hexes in between. I use the rule that Federation Ships can preload photons (do most people use that).

Then, I am not sure. I'm guessing what people should do at the start depends on their race. I like to play the Klingons. I usually go ahead at about 16, launch drones on Impulse 8. Then next turn set speed to 16 or 24. Keep pace with my drones on Impulse 1 (i.e accelerate if I set 16), and then launch another wave of drones which end up in the same hex. Is this a standard thing to do?

Then it is a case of trying to keep out of the way of the Fed photons and get some extra shots in.

All players seem to launch suicide shuttles at the end of turn 1 since they usually have energy spare - again - is this normal.

Anyone got any other quick tips for very basic strategies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most poeple have more like 60 hexes in between the ships (2-by-3 in the small scale hexes).

I do use the fed pre-load rules, but it requires that the batteries be empty ( Sad ).

Drones on Impulse 8 are common, but the klingon should either (juding from expireince) rush in at 24, gun Blazin', or sabre dance.

The Feds should remain stationary the first turn, while fully charging torps (and possibly overloading, depending on how ambitious the enemy is), then rush at the enemy, either causing him to run, or die...

Sucicide shuttles are common in three places:
1. Where you stated.
2. Against a ship snagged in a tractor.
3. To follow up an head on pass.

And a tip: The Federation ROCK! Very Happy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Basic Tactics Reply with quote

Paul Grogan wrote:
Then, I am not sure. I'm guessing what people should do at the start depends on their race. I like to play the Klingons. I usually go ahead at about 16, launch drones on Impulse 8. Then next turn set speed to 16 or 24. Keep pace with my drones on Impulse 1 (i.e accelerate if I set 16), and then launch another wave of drones which end up in the same hex. Is this a standard thing to do?

That sounds pretty good. Looks pretty standard.

Quote:
Then it is a case of trying to keep out of the way of the Fed photons and get some extra shots in.

Hey! You are now officially ahead of the game! Most beginners want to just charge and exchange overloads. You are wisely trying to stay out of your opponent's "danger zone".

Quote:
All players seem to launch suicide shuttles at the end of turn 1 since they usually have energy spare - again - is this normal.

Actually, in the games I have played (which isn't *that* many), I really haven't seen suicide shuttles used much. They are just too slow.

Quote:
Anyone got any other quick tips for very basic strategies?

The fact that you are trying to keep your Klingon out of close range of your opponent's photons shows me that you have already move past the very basic tactics.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've squashed many a klingon warshp that closed too fast...
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I might add about playing with Fed ships is not to overload your photons until you actually fire them. By keeping them as standard loads, if your Klingon opponent wants to play the fight-at-a-distance game (the sabre dance), then you can try it, too (if you want). If so, you might consider holding back 1 photon (or maybe 2) just in case he decides to try and swoop in after you've fired your others at range. That 1 you hold back can be overloaded and let loose at close range to halfway knock down a shield of a cruiser. If you can combine phasers with it, you might even do several internals to him. However, one thing to keep in mind about this tactic...don't fire those at-range photons until he fires his disruptors!
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's much more energy efficient to overload photons earlier. And If you chase rush at him, he'll either run (disenabling the capability of Sabre-Dance), or take you head on (and lose Mr. Green ).
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lock yourself into firing at range 8 that way PC. I would love that.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you have the energy to go fast, SFW. In fact, I'm playing a Squad Scale CA vs. D5W Battle right now (Total 150 points for the ship, and my father was the second one to chose), and I plan to use the tactic in this game. I'll post the results later.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinecone, your tactic of not moving and overloading photons is a bust against a good opponent. I know I've mentioned this to you before.

If you don't move, you completely surrender the initiatve and allow your opponent to move wherever he wants and do whatever he wants. That's a great recipe for losing

If you overload the torps, your opponent is going to fire from range 12-15 all day long while you sit with unused torps. I have never lost to someone who overloaded their torps and tried to chase me down. That is a great drone/saber dance scenario. Chase after me while I shoot you with drones and saber dance and you cannot return my fire.

And your not saving any energy. Per 4C3c, overloaded torps cost 2 energy to hold. That's the same amount of energy it costs to load a regular torp. Where's the energy you're saving?

DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I highly recommend you check out the tactics articles in captain's log, the SFB tactics manual, and in the tactics area on this site. You can check out my post about Kzinti tactics. Those can be applied very easily to the klingons.

djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNordeen -

Thank you.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have overloaded my photons, and am chasing him. siting idle wont work in this scenario, I know.

Me actually took me on with a head on pass, backing himself up with sucicide Shuttles, and usind drones to draw fire. Due to bad moves by both players, we would have come up about even, had he not missed with tw distruptors at range 1 (Ouch Crying or Very sad ). We have yet to complete the battle, but I'm in better position (not much better, though).
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
In fact, I'm playing a Squad Scale CA vs. D5W Battle right now

Basic Tactical Tip: Concentrate on the game and switch your computer off Wink

Then you can always switch it on later - it will still be there.
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:

Unless you're playing FC OnLine!
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Kang wrote:

Unless you're playing FC OnLine!

Aye. There is that Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: