Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Monsters move before Ships in same sub-pulse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirectGumby
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Do Monsters move before Ships in same sub-pulse? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was talking with a friend about the movement rules and I have a question for a little clarification... The question to me is this:

Do Monsters move before Ships if they both move in the same sub-pulse?

Note 1: Rules are from the Klingon Boarder, Version 4, July 2006
Note 2: I've put the section in green that lead me to believe that one would move Monster first and then ships in the same given sub-pulse.

From Section 2A5:
Quote:
The chart shows the correct order in which to move units that are moving in the same Movement Sub-Pulse, comprising seven steps. Units perform High Energy Turns (2D2) during the step assigned to them (even if they are not scheduled to move). A nonmoving unit is (within its category), the slowest moving unit, so a speed zero sip will High Energy Turn before other ships move in the Ship step.
1. Monsters move.
2. Ships move.
3. Gunboats (in a future product) move.
4. Shuttles (including those used as seeking weapons) move.
5. Seeking weapons move. (Note: that impact is determined but not resolved until later in the impulse.) If a seeking weapon is targeted on another seeking weapon, the target must move first.
6. Basses rotate (2c6)
7. Ships make tactical maneuvers (2D1)

Within these groups, the slower unit moves first. If the speeds are equal, the unit with a better turn mode category moves last. If speed and turn mode category is the same, both players write down their movement for that sub-pulse only and expose these written orders simultaneously then execute them simultaneously."

To me this states that per Sub-Pulse those 7 groups in that order and then within the groups the slower units in that 1 of 7 sub groups move first. Thus, if it seems that one could say that Monsters move first and then Ships within a sub-pulse regardless of the movement speed.

Am I off here?

Anyway... just thought i'd see what folks thought...
And/or see if there were some updated rules on this that I missed.

Thanks,
Brett
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about that actually. It seems to me that while some monsters are fast and do have a good turn mode (such as the space dragon which has turn mode 1 at all speeds), the very reason that "monsters move" is the first item in the movement sequence as outlined in (2A5) is to make sure that they do move before ships and other items, even if they are faster and/or have a better turn mode (which is feesible with monsters like the space dragon). Of course we could both be wrong, but unless there's something we've overlooked I would have said that is right.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you are reading it correctly.

Monsters always move first, no matter what.

Ships always move after monsters, even if we are talking about a Fed Battleship and comparitively nimble Space Dragons. The Dragons move first.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been reading that wrong for about two years... Embarassed

I'd always assumed 2A5 was sequencing items within sub-pulses of 2A6 and that 2A6's sub-pulse chart was king. Shows what I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: