Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Additional Fix to Evasive Maneuvering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Additional Fix to Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

I have played a couple games now under the new EM system. As long as EM is being fixed, I have an additional proposal.

I propose that the requirement to maintain evasive for 2 impulses stay as it is now, BUT, that IF Evasive Maneuvers are continued over the turn break, that the time spent under Evasive Maneuvering from the previous turn counts toward that 2 impulse requirement. (you still have to pay 6 movement cost on turn x, and then an additional 6 movement on turn x+1, to be clear I am not suggesting any changes in the power use).

Currently, if you continue evasive over the turn break (ie you paid for EM during energy Allocation), you are still STUCK being evasive until the beginning of impulse 3 (you were evasive during the movement portion of Imp 1 and 2, thus the earliest that you can cancel EM at the beginning of impulse 3). This is a tactically difficult position to be in, especially when you might be in a situation where you only needed to be evasive during impulse 1 and want to cancel it at the beginning of Impulse 2. CUrrently there is no way to do that, and it feels very "unrealistic".

The new EM rule is all about properly planning your use of evasive maneuvers. Time spent in evasive from the previous turn should count toward that planning. Under the current rules, you are punished for being in situation where you need to be evasive during impulse 1, but not impulse 2, and the current rules allow no relief from this problem. (Yes, I just played a game where this was a significant problem and no, Emergency Decel was not a feasable solution.) Again, its not a problem that is likely to crop up often, but is is an untiddy flaw.

(The example in the rules about Evasive Maneuvers is that you announce evasive on impulse 3, and then you cannot cancel evasive until the beginning of Impulse 6.)

Vladimyr
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed 100%.
ShockRocket
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Additional Fix to Evasive Maneuvering Reply with quote

edit: Never mind. You guys are using about six lines to solve a one-line problem, but it's getting solved.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I proposed the change. I still have to convince Steve to do it. Nothing is ever guaranteed until it is done.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

willhc
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. You should pay for X amount of impulses and be under the effect for exactly that number of impulses, regardless of a turn break. You could then pay again on the impulse you were about to stop to keep it up again. The required impulses should begin counting from the impulse you began EM, again, regardless of the turn break.
Archduke Russell John I
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that everyone agrees that the need pay at the start of the turn should/needs to be kept even with the change. Could someone please explain why? I ask because I don't see the need for it anymore.

If you went Evasive on Impulse 8 under the original rule, you got full benefit of Evasive Manuevers during that impulse, i.e. modifiers to be hit and protection from being tractored or boarded, while suffering all the penalties.

Under the new rule, if you declare on impulse 8 you only suffer 1/2 the penalties (not able to fire seeking weapons) but now only get 1/2 the benefits while being required to pay full price to continue Evasive Manuevers through the turn. This just seems excessive to me.

If the suggestion to carry the 2 impulse requirement over the turn break, we add paying full price for half the benefits on Turn X impulse 8 and full price for 1 impulse of benefits on Turn x+1 Impulse 1. It just exacerbates the excessiveness in my mind.

If we are going to change the rules to carry the 2 impulses over the turn break, wouldn't it make logical sense to only require payment once?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: