Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CA refits...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenhull wrote:
I haven't seen that one yet. Just out of curiosity, did they show where on the hull the aft tubes were?

I think it's from the same dome that the aft phasers seem to fire from.

bobrunnicles wrote:
Which as Nerroth indicates makes this an interesting conundrum (of sorts) of an episode - although it not Classic or TAS, it directly ties in with a Classic episode (as mentioned, The Tholian Web) and uses elements from that within the story - primarily the Defiant, but also uniforms, hand phasers etc. It kicks butt because it's 'future tech' compared to the Enterprise-era stuff.

Fourth season Enterprise was really turning out to be good stuff before the show got canned, lots of tie-ins with the original show along the lines of what was promised but not delivered on during the first 2-3 years. The example of Peter Weller watching 'historic' video footage of Colonel Green (first referenced in the TOS episode 'The Savage Curtain') was awesome Smile

Season 4 of ENT was fantastic - if Manny Coto had been on board in season 1 rather than just for 4, the series might have had a better chance.

And they were even planning on having a Kzinti ship show up in season 5, too!

Oh well.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember this conversation from before.

I thought that the consensus was the dome was the shuttlebay light, and the phasers were right beside it.

And I remember reading somewhere that the torpedoes were supposed to come from a small aperture visible as outline on the impulse deck between the actual colored "exhaust" ports.

EDIT: The article talking about the torpedoes is from memory Alpha. here's the link:

http://enmemoryalpha.wikia.com/en/wiki/USS_Defiant_%28NCC-1764%29#Studio_model

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Defiant also destroying web with Phasers? Looks like it's shooting the anchors - can you do that in SFB/FC? Confused Also she appears to be firing torpedoes very quickly indeed. I suspect the weapons fit has been re-invented for Star Trek Enterprise as I don't remember the TOS CAs having that many torps, if indeed they had rearward firing photons at all. Has anyone got the Franz Joseph Technical Manual to see if it has details of weapons fit? Could we consider that a satisfactory answer if it has? I haven't got it myself. Sad
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Memory Alpha link that OGOptimus provided, it's specifically mentioned that there's never any actual evidence of rear-firing torpedoes in TOS. They're never shown, and they're never mentioned. The same paragraph also mentions that while rear-firing phasers are never shown, they are mentioned within the series.

So yeah, the rear-firing photons are a potential conflict with TOS. The first time we see them on-screen within the Star Trek continuity is in "Encounter at Farpoint".
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24-
I have both the Franz Joseph tech manual and his Enterprise blueprints and neither showed aft-torpedo mounts (they also didn't have aft or 360 phasers, which were added into the SFB CA via refits).
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
In the Memory Alpha link that OGOptimus provided, it's specifically mentioned that there's never any actual evidence of rear-firing torpedoes in TOS. They're never shown, and they're never mentioned. The same paragraph also mentions that while rear-firing phasers are never shown, they are mentioned within the series.

So yeah, the rear-firing photons are a potential conflict with TOS. The first time we see them on-screen within the Star Trek continuity is in "Encounter at Farpoint".

Actually, not quite. STII:TWoK predated TNG and the Reliant had rear torps. Of course, it was a radically different hull design from the Constitution ships.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
bobrunnicles
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus in ST:TMP we see the Klingon cruisers in the beginning (awesome) sequence fire with rear-mounted torps. Of course, they're Klingons and not Feds, but the precedent is there.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the SFU, the klingnos don't even have photons.

I get the impresion that the distruptor on warp nacelle idea came from The Elaan of Troyis episode. That was obviosly distruptor fire, but photons and phasers looked one and the same in TOS. You could never be sure that the klinks had photons, until the movies.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the absence of photons and presence of disruptors was also confirmed by some of the early blueprints for the D6/D7 that came out in the 70s that may or may not be available any longer.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I always thought that the hole in the front of the klingon ship was a photons launcher...
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Well, I always thought that the hole in the front of the klingon ship was a photons launcher...

It was never made clear in TOS. In fact, the only time any weapon fire was seen from a D7 hull was the Troyus episode with the green bolts from the naceles. SFB assumed (and I would guess this was based on the old blueprints) that the 'hole' in the front was a deflector array, ala the one on the front of the Enterprise's secondary hull.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sensor on the classic McMaster blueprints (which were used as source material for SFB, way back in the day).

Those same prints (and 'The Elaan of Troyis' TOS episode) show disruptors on the engine tips.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenhull wrote:
pinecone wrote:

It was never made clear in TOS. In fact, the only time any weapon fire was seen from a D7 hull was the Troyus episode with the green bolts from the naceles. SFB assumed (and I would guess this was based on the old blueprints) that the 'hole' in the front was a deflector array, ala the one on the front of the Enterprise's secondary hull.

But....it *looks* like it should be a weapon port, dammit! I mean you'd never mistake the sensor array on the Enterprise as a weapon but that hole at the front of the D7 sure looks like one. I'm glad the FX guys for TMP turned it into one, frankly Smile
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like one of the guys in my group. He *still* can't get over that Klingons don't have photons... Smile
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
You sound like one of the guys in my group. He *still* can't get over that Klingons don't have photons... Smile

Actually I don't mind whether it's a photon launcher or something else, but whatever it is it looks like it should be a weapon Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: