Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Gameroom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I have to make do with a 2 by 4 ft coffee table using a combination of armchairs, a folding chair and pillows on the floor to seat the players. Still good fun. Wink
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played OGRE on an airline seat tray table. Whatever works gets it done.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to play on our kitchen table, but at least I have an 8-foot x 4-foot overlay for it.

We've got a game coming up on Monday, so I'll post a couple of pics of the game, the gaming group, nd the "Man-Cave" where all the minis are painted / stored!
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoutDad: thats a great idea for Cafe Press. Its a very good tool to have on game night, when you have 10 gys looking for 2 charts. Now we just look up and see everything.

I have defintly appreciated the help the guys on the team have given me. One of our guys recently created this new device that he uses to call the impulses. I beleive he is still finalizing it, but we have used it for 3-4 games and its pretty effective and you cant lose your place. The need arose becasue I often called the games and would lose track of where we were all the time. Maybe I can get him to post a pic of it.

djdood: We were playing on the dining room tabel at exactly that size. the problem we ran into as the players grew is that we woudl be in rage to shoot almost immediatly unless we used the small hexes. We loved using minis, so I bought more panels. then we ran out of table and realzied soemthing had to be done as our numbers grew. At first we took over about half the loft, but it started getting cozy when one night we had 9 players. thats when I realized it was time to see if the wife would be willing to let me assimilate the entire room Smile

My wifes insentive of course was that she got to have the living room back to decorate her way, she had zero cleaning up to do since I care for the game room myself, and she got to have a laptop as her main computer Smile
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:

I bought my first copy of Car Wars the morning that my wife went into labor with our son (before she went into labor mind you, I didn't try to get her to let me stop on the way to the hospital...) - so I played my first several games of Car Wars on the small hospital table that extends over you bed. These were played against a friend who came to see her and the baby ...
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
djdood wrote:

I bought my first copy of Car Wars the morning that my wife went into labor with our son (before she went into labor mind you, I didn't try to get her to let me stop on the way to the hospital...) - so I played my first several games of Car Wars on the small hospital table that extends over you bed. These were played against a friend who came to see her and the baby ...

Thats hardcore gaming right there!

Hey ScoutDad, Considering the size of your minitures fleet, I would love to see where your playing your games.
eunderko
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the three impulse tracking tools I made.
Basically you just turn the dial and see what impulse and who moves in the little windows.

The one in back was the first one. It has all 32 sub-pulses on the tube, but was a little hard to read, so I made the other two (one for me and one for Rick's game room). They only have 16 sub-pulses, but I think it is generally easy to remember that you are in the first or second half of the turn.

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneumonic81 wrote:

I have defintly appreciated the help the guys on the team have given me. One of our guys recently created this new device that he uses to call the impulses. I beleive he is still finalizing it, but we have used it for 3-4 games and its pretty effective and you cant lose your place. The need arose becasue I often called the games and would lose track of where we were all the time. Maybe I can get him to post a pic of it.

That's another one of the Play Aids included in FC: Orion Attack. A set of specialized Impulse Tracking Cards. They'll take you through the turn / Impulse step-by-step, so you don't miss anything and nothing gets handled out of sequence.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneumonic81 wrote:

Hey ScoutDad, Considering the size of your miniatures fleet, I would love to see where your playing your games.

Well, they number of minis in storage doesn't really affect the size of the game. Even though there's about 700 Starship minis in the "Man-Cave", we usually only bring out the dozen or so needed for each game.

But it you really want to see Extreme Gaming - I'll try to find the photos of my ultra-mega, Formula De set-up.
I have upscaled all of my tracks to 1:144 scale for use with Micro-Machine race cars... but that still fits on the 4x8 table top.

Then one day, I found a Hot Wheels, 2004 Formula 1 Starting Grid set and I bought it! Then I had to make a 1:65 scale track. The foam-board "Monaco" track (when asssembled) measures 18-1/2 feet wide and 24-2/3 feet long. The last time we played, we moved the dining room table and chairs to the back deck and set the track up on the kitchen floor Shocked

We don't get to use that one often, but when we do - it's pretty cool.

Recently, I found a few 1:43 scale Formula 1 cars on ebay. I only have 4 different ones right now - but when I get around to building the entire garage in and making it Game Central, the 1/43 scale track will be 25 feet wide and 36 feet long!!! We'll all be standing around it using the long wooden sticks you see the Allied Commanders using in all of the old WWII movies to move our cars aro und the track! Cool
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome - giant scale Formula 1/Formula De! I bet that really adds to it actually, you get the visual element as well as the fun of the game. What would be *really* hard-core would be to scratch build a scale model of each track and its surroundings to match the scale of the cars... how many rooms would you need for all of them? Wink
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple of car haulers in Matchbox scale that I want to repaint in the team colors.

I've also drafted plans for a couple of different sizes of grandstands that would fit the matchbox scale track... it's only the room keeping me from actually building them. Rolling Eyes
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL LETS SEE IT!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I at least get home????? Smile
bobrunnicles
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula De ROCKS - I love that game. Actually managed to come in second in the World Boardgame Championships FD tournament in 2006 Very Happy
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i thought i would look up this game you guys are talking about, found this image of a home made game board:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/355001?size=original

I guess im not the only one who really loves home made g ame boards Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: