Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prime Directive Marketing to canon Trek RPG players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehrer1701
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Prime Directive Marketing to canon Trek RPG players Reply with quote

I know Prime Directive is "not" Star Trek TOS as we know it, however, it seems plausible that a market exists out there for people that want a Star Trek RPG based upon canon. Since Decipher has literally pushed their version of the Trek RPG to the back of the shelf, there are many Star Trek RPG fans out there looking for something to fill in there: a current, supported game system. Again, I know that PD is not canon "TREK," however, perhaps future development could also lend itself to having the ability, or marketed toward such people. By design,the gamer indeed would have to be the one to "modify" things in order to make things canon like (due to license restrictions of ADB??), but the products that are produced (or selected to be produced) should factor this concept in regarding RPG books for PD. It just seems to me that an untapped market exists: RPG players of "old" StarTrek type games looking for something new and supported. One only has to cruise the decipher forums to see this.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you posted that here, Darren. After you posted the same thing on the old Discus BBS, and I responded "we already do that" and you responded (more politely than required) it got me thinking. I meant to go back and answer you there, but forgot, so I'll post this reply here and maybe copy it over there.

What is needed is somebody (maybe Gary Plana) who is given a job (and maybe paid a few free games or a tiny amount of cash) to be responsible for this project. The Prime Directive Apostle (PDA) would then have the job to cruise trek and other scifi forums and (without hiding who he works for) make people more aware that there is a trek RPG out there, that it can be converted into "canon trek" in 30 minutes by a nine-year-old, and that is an alive, growing product line with new products (Federation, Tholians, Orion Pirates, Feline Empires, Gorns, and the Final Frontier magazine/adventure-pack) in active development.
kehrer1701
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVC: sorry I wasn't clear in my initial post. I had just recently decided to create an account with the FC website discussion forum and posted my original question there as I wasn't sure how many people read this one and the other one. Actually, it was my first post there. I like your assessment. I agree that you guys are indeed designing games that can easily be converted to "canon" Trek, in my cruising on SJG's, Decipher's, Pocket Books, Star Trek.com, and other associated discussion forums, I notice a lack of knowledge that that ADB's PD even exists, or I find a lack of understanding on what it is. Having one, or just as many players of PD troll those forums and make it know that ADB has an easily converted to "canon" trek game that is current and supported can help get the word out.
I really like your idea in doing so. Maybe have a team of people, mabye "PD Scouts" to troll other forums and make ADB known???
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already the Star Fleet Ranger program (see the legacy site for details...) Rangers can promote any SFU game, not just the board games.
mahatmamanic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this legacy site everyone keeps referring to? It sounds like there's loads of useful info there.
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahatmamanic wrote:
What is this legacy site everyone keeps referring to? It sounds like there's loads of useful info there.

http://www.starfleetgames.com
kehrer1701
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my idea is geared towards marketing the ADB line to people who may not know about it (or have the wrong idea about what it is) in communities where they really should know about it: websites, disscussion forums, etc. such as Decipher Trek, SJG forums, StarTrek.com, Pocket Books, WOTC d20 forums, WEG d6 forums, game review forums, etc.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren: I think I can put you to work. Email me and let's chat.
kehrer1701
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
sorry, I saw your post on the old forum, but wanted to put something here for the people who don't read over there.
I am going to work up a plan and email it to you in the next day or two.
Let me get a visual plan on paper, then send it to you.
Ok by you??
Darren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: