Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tractoring drones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: tractoring drones? Reply with quote

If I tractor a drone on say, impulse 5, of turn 3, and I do not pay for the drone to be tractored on impulse 1 of turn 4, it then impacts my ship. However is the impact immediate, or do I have a chance during the defensive fire stage of impulse 1 to deal with it?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you tractor it as part of "normal" tractoring in the other-functions phase, or was it tractored in a previous defensive-fire phase?
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, this is another "quirk" in the rules Smile

When a drone impacts: You can first use ADD, then if that doesnt work, use phasers, and finally whn all else fails tractor it.

At the start of the turn, you have to pay for the tractor, but if you dont, then when it gets to the defensive fire phase of Impulse 1, you get one more chance to shoot it with phasers (not ADD), and again failing that, you can tractor it again.

It seems wrong to let it go and then recapture it, but I think thats how it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how I remember the discussion about this ending up, also.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Paul and Mike say is correct. Rule (5D4c) says that "...if another energy token is not paid during Energy Allocation of the next turn, the weapon will hit during the Defensive Fire Step of Impulse #1 during which the ship can fire defensively and even tractor the same drone again!".

This means that you can indeed shoot and/or tractor the same drone after not paying to continue tractor beams in place over a turn break. A subtle difference to the original question though - if you were paying to continue tractor beams in place, this would happen during Energy Allocation rather than on Impulse #1 - not much different but it's a point. On the other hand, I can't imagine you would want to do this very often when you could let the drone go from the tractor beam and then have a shoot at it, then even tractor it again if all goes wrong.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers pretty much got it.

If you are tractoring an impacted drone, you may continue the tractor link over the turn break in energy allocation. If you choose not to do so, then you can reengage it during the Defensive Fire Phase of the first impulse, up to and including tractoring it again.

Now, if you have tractored a drone that has NOT impacted, when you release it (at the turn break or otherwise), it will simply resume its normal movement and attempt to seek after its target.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for this ruling was that in SFB you can fire at the drone immediately whereas in FC you cannot. Therefore, they allowed the target to let go of the drone and still have an opportunity to fire on it without forcing you to use energy for a tractor.

Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason for this ruling was that in SFB you can fire at the drone immediately whereas in FC you cannot. Therefore, they allowed the target to let go of the drone and still have an opportunity to fire on it without forcing you to use energy for a tractor.

I thought that something like that might be the reason. It seems to be a simple way of giving you an extra chance to shoot at a drone/suicide shuttle with only the 8-impulse system, it seems to make sense. Besides, FC is mostly about flexibility to make gameplay smooth, and I think this idea contributes towards that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: