Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADB is Offering Star Fleet Battle Manual for sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Amarillo Design Bureau Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: ADB is Offering Star Fleet Battle Manual for sale Reply with quote

Star Fleet Battle Manual is new on our storefront. There are only a dozen in stock.

Own a piece of history! First published in 1977, the Star Fleet Battle Manual (by Lou Zocchi and Michael Scott Kurtick) was one of the first (if not the first) widely published Star Trek games. (Lou Zocchi created it in order to sell the plastic miniatures of the Franz Joseph ships he had bought a license to produce.) Fans of the TV show could, for the first time, actually experience the drama, excitement, and danger of combat between the Federation and Klingon Empire. (The game also includes one Tholian ship and one Romulan ship.) This is the 1993 edition, which was updated and expanded, and includes both tabletop and hex-based systems. Everything on television is here: phasers, photons, disruptors, plasma torpedoes, cloaking devices, and webs.

While this game is not (as some have theorized) a prototype for Star Fleet Battles, it did make the publication of SFB possible (because Lou Zocchi generously introduced us to the people who gave us our first license).

This is a very different game than SFB or FC or Starmada or A Call to Arms, with totally different rules and concepts. Even so, it's a worthy game in its own right, and a true historical treasure for Star Fleet Universe players.

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=Z01&Category_Code=NP
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we sold out and have ordered more. Leanna might have deactivated it. I would expect we'd have another box in a week.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a great convention game. At Strategicon there is always the big naval battle taking up a space about 15 foot by 15 foot with large models. I think this would be a hoot to do with Starline ships.

As I understand it, it uses the same scale as the Starline 2400, except that it is a much bigger board, so that your enemy can be ten or more feet away. Now, don't you then guess of the enemy is in the arc of your ship, and then you stretch a string from the firing ship to the other ship and if it crosses the ship its a hit, if it doesn't it is a miss. Is that essentially it? Or am confusing this with something else?
aramis
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an awesome game (I already have two copies).

Also, it works quite well using SFB SSD's... 5mm per "hex" of movement.
You do lose SOME flavor unless you have ASBM to fill in the missing SFB weapons...
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, it works quite well using SFB SSD's... 5mm per "hex" of movement.
You do lose SOME flavor unless you have ASBM to fill in the missing SFB weapons...

What is ASBM?

So the hex conversion is 5mm=1 hex? So moving at warp 7 would be a minimum of around 69 hexes per turn?

I used to have the SFBM, but never saw the hex conversion.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's talking about the successor edition called the Alien Space Battle Manual, a "trek filed off" version that came later.
aramis
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I think he's talking about the successor edition called the Alien Space Battle Manual, a "trek filed off" version that came later.
ASBM Came earlier, actually...

1st was "Star Trek Battle Manual" in 1972.
2nd was "Alien Space Battle Manual" in 1974
3rd was SFBM in 1977

(all links to the respective BGG data pages)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alien space was star trek battle manual without star trek.
aramis
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
alien space was star trek battle manual without star trek.

Which begs the question: Are you going to carry ASBM?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already do (and sold out, and ordered more). Leanna said she would reactivate those two books on the cart tomorrow after she confirms that the stock is in route.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Amarillo Design Bureau Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: