Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Strand Total Strength

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Web Strand Total Strength Reply with quote

As you know, a Web Strand can be a max length of 30 hexes. Also, after dividing up your total Web strand strength each hex cannot exceed a value of 32.

Say I have laid such a strand, and the total strand strength would be an even value of 960 (no reserve/excess points), could I increase the total strength past this value? If this is so, there seems to be potential for hexes to maintain a value of 32 over the course of a few turns.

Keep in mind I'm aware of the effect of shortening the length of the web which would be a considerable points loss if I do so.

Or simply, can a Web Strand's total strength exceed this formula:

STRAND LENGTH x 32

????????
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Maximum means maximum.

So, your 30 hex long web strand could not have more than 960 total strength points. Any points provided to it above this are immediately lost. If it is shortened to 20 hexes (by whatever means; likely anchor issues), then the maximum is 640 total strength points, and any points above this are simply lost.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, that sounds sane and reasonable. One more quick somewhat relevant query. The moment you lay web for the impulse where is it's relative position to the laying unit? Behind it, or in the same hex?

Thank you Mr. West.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same hex you are in when you lay the web.

You can reinforce web from both an adjacent hex or in a web hex, but you lay only in the hex you are in.
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was the case Scout. However, and I hate to split hairs here, but my inquisitive nature gets the best of me. So here I go again.

I still agree with your answer Scout, but the amendment in Brf1 to 5m2j1 makes me think there is a conflict in the perception of web placement at the time of laying. Why would one have to lay the web connected to the Buoy in the next Impulse? If webs are layed before Launch Phase, wouldnt the Web be there on the same space (if we are correct) so you may immediatley attach the buoy to it?

This amendment seems to illustrate that a ship in the process of laying web has already done so, in the hex immediatley behind it. And then , in the same impulse launched a buoy in a space (the same as the ship) which is clear of web, which must be laid in the following impulse.

Is this a contradiction of our reasoning that web is laid in the same hex, or just a roundabout way of saying, you cannot launch a buoy and lay web (with a single unit) in the same Impulse?

This is more of a comment that a question, I don't see why both can't be done if you have enough power.

This is one of the reasons I suspect the Web Rules may need bear a bit more scrutiny if consistency is of any concern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: