Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overpowered Races
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Race is the most Overpowered?
Federation
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Klingon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gron
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Romulan
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Kzinti
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lyran
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Hydran
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Tholian
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
None of the above
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 26

asguard101
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Overpowered Races Reply with quote

Which Race do you think is the most over Balanced, not including the LDR or Orions.
Democratus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Organians, of course.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvisously not the Gron... they're so weak most people have never even heard of them.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I haven't found that any one race is particularly overpowered. Some races do better against others, but against what would be considered "natural" enemies they seem fairly evenly balanced.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISC. Chuffin' massive starships with mega weapons, designed with the benefit of hindsight, against the tattered remnants of the Alpha Octant war fleets.

That's overpowered.

Similar to all the other ships that were designed to be 'just a little better than' the Fed CA - design creep, is it called?
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I agree with Scoutdad that any one race is generally not over-powered (or even under-powered), though myself I always seem to miss with photon torpedoes and so dislike playing the Federation - despite this, I have found them to be dangerous indeed when on the receiving end of these weapons and the ship handled competently. I think that some races are much better against others, but worse in other situations or against other races, and so overall I don't think any one race is particularly better than another.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
The ISC. Chuffin' massive starships with mega weapons, designed with the benefit of hindsight, against the tattered remnants of the Alpha Octant war fleets.

That's overpowered.

Similar to all the other ships that were designed to be 'just a little better than' the Fed CA - design creep, is it called?

The ISC aren't overpowered in the sense that point-for-point they are balanced. It's just that what they call a "heavy cruiser" is really quite a bit larger than what everyone else does, and so on. I think this is, as you say, because the ISC had the benefit of watching everyone massacre each other and then learned from their mistakes before making their own mistakes. The superiority of the ISC on a class-for-class basis is an "historical" reason rather than a "design creep" effect, I think.

The design creep thing in general isn't as bad in FC as it was in SFB, because all of the refits have been selected and standardised to make the ships reasonably well balanced with each other, at least as well balanced as it is possible to be with some races being naturally better against others and trying to be in keeping with the ships from SFB at the same time - some ships of a certain class are just smaller, and so not quite as good, as some from other races (for example Hydran frigates are smaller than most others).
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Tholians are Overpowered Reply with quote

The fact that Tholian Cast Web lasts 8 impulses (rather than 1/2 the turn as in SFB) makes them unbalanced. So far, in my experience, the Tholians do not lose. Whether I was playing as a Tholian or against the Tholians, the Tholians came out on top if using web casters. (The only exceptions that I can remember are when someone is playing the Tholians for the first time and haven't figured out how to use the Caster properly.)

If the Web caster were changed so that they lasted 4 impulses, I believe the problem would be eliminated. Rules that balanced Star Fleet Battles also work to balance Federation Commander.

DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played with and against most of the races and have not found any particurly over/under balanced.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my expereieance that the races are balanced. Even Web Caster do not bother me much. But... the fact that a Snare Generated can literally eat a Type R Plasma casue me some minor discomfort sometimes when I am not playing the Rockheads.

Of course noone can crawl in a hole and pull a ROC over the top of it like a Tholian can. Razz

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
rulesjd
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, the Seltorians are the c@#$piest. They are lumbering vessels with very limited frontal arcs and weapons that lack one turn crunch potential in favor of more rapid fire. Basically you have to perform the sabre dance with a barge.

I agree that all the races have strengths and weaknesses against each other. More important is scenario choice. Closed map games give the edge to seaking weapons with definable corners. Open maps give the disruptor races room to weaken shields before seeking a closing engagement.

I enjoy playing most races, except the stupid Andros, and Steve seems to have done a reasonably good job of balancing.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Romulans and their dishonorable cloaking device. The federation knows honor as much as the klinks.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does dishonour make a race overpowered though (assuming cloaking brings dishonour, which arguably it does in the eyes of the enemy)? The Romulans seem quite weak point-for-point in FC, probably because they have the cloaking device, which of course costs points.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:
assuming cloaking brings dishonour, which arguably it does in the eyes of the enemy?

How? 'In the eyes of the enemy'? They can't see you! Wink
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they do know you are there somewhere, and by not coming out and "fighting honourably" then you are being dishonourable. This is at least how one who wished to argue that cloaking is dishonourable could go about it - you could say that in certain circumstances, it is simply sensible (rather than dishonourable) to cloak...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: