Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HET Breakdown Damage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: HET Breakdown Damage Reply with quote

How is damaged resolved on a Breakdown if previous hits cause skips on Damage Row #3? Do you just go back to the beginning of 3 until you receive 10 hits, or do you roll from scratch again? It seems you would have to reroll because that chart doesnt have every conceivable system left on a vessel that has already taken moderate to severe damage.

I've learned to have the courage to use HETs more often when playing Gorns or Feds. All the clevering maneuvering just doesnt always cut it when your turn mode is lousy!!! I'd like to be prepared to deal with the Breakdown Damage if the dice don't go my way.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not thought about this one before, and it is a pretty good point. This would be how I would play it, though I could well be alone in this and it may meant to be done differently:

I think you probably do not skip the hits, because it says you receive 10 points of damage rather that 10 hits, which to me would imply that you have to lose 10 boxes if you see what I mean. I think you would just keep applying hits, and if you run out of systems to score damage on then your warp engines and eventually frame hits would suffer damage (in column 10) - this makes sense in that a HET breakdown would over-stress the hull and engines so you would expect a certain portion of this kind of damage (especially engine damage) especially from repeated breakdowns.

Also, were a ship to have suffered all or most of the system hits on that damage row, then if any skipped hits were simply lost, the ship could HET without much fear of incurring damage from further breakdown - I would have thought that given the nature of a HET breakdown, if you did it often enough you might well cripple if not destroy the ship.
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dave, that follows my line of reasoning, I dont HET often, and usually would try to do it towards the end of the turn because your immobile til then if you breakdown. It seems simple enough, I think you would take all ten hits, if it did occur I would just keep rolling until all 10 were allocated, but it does seem reasonable enough that a ship that's taken considerable previous damage ought to take a generous portion of both warp and frame damage. At that point you really are pushing it and the results should reflect that.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I'd say. I assume that if you really over-stress the ship enough by HETing (and breaking down lots) you might actually destroy it, and if you were to keep taking hits on the same damage chart again and again through breaking down, then you would indeed simulate this by blowing yourself up eventually...

That's a good idea about trying to HET nearer the end of the turn to minimise the consequences a breakdown would have on your movement - another advantage of the FC game system is that you often wait "until the end of the turn" rather than however many impulses, which keeps things nice and simple (this is a good thing) but also means it's sometimes best to wait until near the end of the turn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: