Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon D4 Early Cruiser
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Adam's Starship Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamTurner
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Klingon D4 Early Cruiser Reply with quote

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

Will there be a re-paint of this to rep the Treaty Cruisers sold to the Romulans?
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sweet. Smile I like the old school phaser turrets, and I especially like the texturing you've done on it - it's subtle but makes it look like a war veteran without looking fake or un-realistic!
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the changes to the rear upper impulse deck and the two guide wires running the length of the boom.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not farmiliar with that ship, is it supposed to have Distruptors?

Besides that, I love it!
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from the SFB Y1 Early Years module and as far as I know isn't in FC, so that may be why you've not seen it before. It would indeed be armed with disruptors, and would have 2 with FA firing arcs.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:
It's from the SFB Y1 Early Years module and as far as I know isn't in FC, so that may be why you've not seen it before. It would indeed be armed with disruptors, and would have 2 with FA firing arcs.

Except for those upgraded to LD4s - which, oddly, get 4 disruptors, not two, when no-one else's local defence/National Guard ships get more heavy weapon mounts than the Y-era hulls they are upgraded from... not even the Romulan treaty cruisers upgraded from the same hull type!

And they get them at a bargain price, too - but then, the LD4s get no phaser-1 upgrades, so maybe it evens out...
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange, I hadn't noticed that. Maybe it was cheaper for the Klingons to add the comparatively readily available disruptor systems to the national guard ships rather than paying for the relatively expensive and rarer Ph-1. In terms of long-range firepower, having Ph-2s instead of Ph-1s will help balance the increased disruptor fit out relative to other races' national guard cruisers.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Except for those upgraded to LD4s - which, oddly, get 4 disruptors, not two, when no-one else's local defence/National Guard ships get more heavy weapon mounts than the Y-era hulls they are upgraded from... not even the Romulan treaty cruisers upgraded from the same hull type!

One could argue that the Romulan treaty cruisers do get the upgrade. The treaty cruisers have a Pl-G on each engine, which is the same as what the KR (built on the D6 with its four disruptors) gets.

So, in a way, the treaty cruisers get the four disruptors and Ph-1s.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the only difference between a Ph-1 and a Ph-2 was the targeting system. Isn't that printed somewhere in a FedComm rulebook or article?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Nerroth wrote:

One could argue that the Romulan treaty cruisers do get the upgrade. The treaty cruisers have a Pl-G on each engine, which is the same as what the KR (built on the D6 with its four disruptors) gets.

So, in a way, the treaty cruisers get the four disruptors and Ph-1s.

Well, does that mean the ISC and Gorn LCAs are as advantaged?

(Or even more so, since they get the S-torp upgrades... though the Romulans do have that cloak.)
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
I thought that the only difference between a Ph-1 and a Ph-2 was the targeting system. Isn't that printed somewhere in a FedComm rulebook or article?

I think that is indeed the case, and as you say it is mentioned in (4B2b). I think the reason that a lot of Klingon and Lyran ships (especially the earlier ones) had mostly Ph-2s because the fire control upgrade required to convert the Ph-2 to a Ph-1 was an expensive piece of technology and so it was not widely fitted to Klingon ships, who probably found it easier to manufacture and maintain the lower tech. Ph-2. Presumably the Ph-1 became more readily available as time want on and presumably more production facilities were established and the cost came down, and so you see more ships with Ph-1s replacing Ph-2s.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the reason?!? And I thought they got those Ph-1s just to make their ships more competitive with the Federation ships...
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Is that the reason?!? And I thought they got those Ph-1s just to make their ships more competitive with the Federation ships...

Well, that's my take on it anyway - I may be wrong. I suspect the phaser refits were added to Klingon ships as a way of improving performance with minimum modification to the ship, ultimately to make them more competitive as you say - Ph-1s have significantly enhanced long-range firepower compared to Ph-2s, so it very much benefits you when using the standard Klingon tactics for engaing the Federation (i.e. the Saber Dance).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Adam's Starship Art All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: