Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scenario 8CZ31 - Scenario Log 1 - Point Values

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hessen77
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Scenario 8CZ31 - Scenario Log 1 - Point Values Reply with quote

The scenario is "A Measure of Fear" and it has the OCA take on sub-light versions of Romulan vessels. The only thing the special rules do not cover in this scenario is how to calculate the Point Value of the modified ships.

I do think this is an oversight since under Victory conditions it does say to use the Point Value System to determine the winner if the "Alfred the Great" does not manage to complete it's Marine mission.

So how do I fix the Point Values?

Thank you.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: You don't. You're not going to get point values for those ships because they are a mess and any assignment of Point Values is a large hand-wave. Rather than trying that futile activity, let's just set victory level conditions instead.

Simple version:
- If the Alfred the Great escapes after fulfilling the requirement with a Marine unit, the Federation player wins the scenario.
- If the Alfred the Great escapes without retrieving a landed Marine unit, the scenario is a draw.
- If the Alfred the Great does not escape, the Romulan player wins.

The logic is that the Romulans have to kill the Alfred the Great irrespective of their own losses. If it gets away, they don't win as, even without hard evidence, the Federation is warned. If they kill it, then there is no warning. The Federation gets a draw by surviving, but not coming back with evidence. (This means the Federation reaction will be slower than it should have been. They have been warned, but won't react fast enough becomes some won't believe the severity of the issue without physical proof.)

Honestly, the above is probably good enough. But, with the following, you get some variation on levels of victory.
Use the following victory conditions instead:
- If the Alfred the Great escapes with a deposited and retrieved Marine unit, the Federation player wins a Significant Victory. If the Alfred the Great takes internal damage, reduce the level of victory by one level; if crippled, reduce the level of victory by two levels. Raise it by one level for each cruiser destroyed or two small ships destroyed. (To a maximum of Astounding Victory or a low of a Marginal victory.)
- If the Alfred the Great escapes without a deposited and retrieved Marine unit, the scenario is a Draw. Give the Federation player one point per cruiser destroyed. (The small ships are irrelevant in this case.) Give the Romulan player one point if the Alfred the Great suffers internal damage; two if it is crippled. If one player has more points than the other, they gain a Marginal Victory, otherwise the scenario remains a Draw.
- If the Alfred the Great is destroyed, the Romulan wins an Astounding Victory. Reduce the level of victory by one for each cruiser destroyed or for each pair of small ships destroyed. If all of the ships are somehow destroyed, the Romulan player still wins a Marginal Victory.

In all cases above, a captured Romulan ship is the same as a destroyed ship. A surviving Romulan ship doesn't affect victory conditions irrespective of how damaged it is, as long as it isn't destroyed (or captured). If by some mutated miracle of improbability, the Romulans actually capture the Alfred the Great, the Romulans win an Astounding victory no matter what their other ships look like (or if they even survive), and all surviving Romulans are able to retire to the lap of luxury for the rest of their lives.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above, of course, assumes the Federation Player is making an honest attempt. I was going to try and put that in, but it broke the symmetry of the presentation, so I just tossed and and left it otherwise unsaid. If the Federation player isn't going to make an honest attempt, just delete the Draw condition in both options.

Do note that these "sublight" Romulan ships are very different than the actual sublight Romulan ships. The King Eagle/Bird and Snipes all have Pl-F torpedoes they shouldn't, and the shuttles are normal shuttles. On the other hand, their power is probably too low and they have no lasers to replace their phasers. It's probably a pretty interesting scenario to run.

hessen77
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I will use your new Victory Level Conditions.

I have seen the sublight Romulan SSD for SFB and noticed the difference but I actually like how FC has tweaked them because they feel more like the ship in the TOS "Balance of Terror".
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want accurate ships, do the following:
- Remove all transporters, Pl-F, and warp boxes. Those boxes do not take damage and do not exist.
- Leave the tractors, but they are not usable in combat and can only take damage.
- Convert all phasers of any kind to Lasers on a one-to-one basis. (See below for damage.)
- Shuttles are unarmed and have a speed of 4. (May not move in consecutive impulses.)
- Make sure each of the ships have the following power:
KE/KB: 8 Impulse, 4 APR
WE/WB: 8 Impulse, 3 APR
BH/H: 6 Impulse, 4 APR
SN: 6 Impulse, 1 APR
- All ships have an effective movement rate of 1 (1/2 in fleet scale). They may must have a Baseline Speed of Zero or Stopped. They may only accelerate in non-consecutive impulses (for a maximum movement of four hexes per turn). They may not HET. They *may* use Evasive Maneuvers if they have sufficient power.

Damage chart for Lasers is:
Code:
Roll R0 R1 R2
1 |   3  2  2
2 |   2  2  2
3 |   2  2  1
4 |   2  2  1
5 |   2  1  0
6 |   1  1  0

The chart works just like a phaser chart. "R0" is "Range 0". Maximum range of the Lasers is 2 hexes. Basically, it means they have a very limited drone defense, and the Federation shuttles are not completely safe.

While I do think that the Victory Conditions on the scenario do need to change like I outlined, consider the above to be an "alternative approach". It's more accurate to the base game, but none of those ships exist in it yet. The above are more flexible ships, but the ships given in the scenario directly have a much bigger punch, even if they are power starved.

Last edited by mjwest on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
hessen77
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question from your chart. Shouldn't Range 0 on a roll of "1" score a 3 and not a 2? I'm looking at Module Y1 as a reference because I don't think FC covered sub-light ships.

Thank you.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hessen77 wrote:
I have one question from your chart. Shouldn't Range 0 on a roll of "1" score a 3 and not a 2?

You are absolutely correct! I apologize for that error.

I have updated the old post to include the corrected "3".

Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to be that guy but what about the Masking Device great it same as a clock? And are there any atomic missiles available?

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
Not wanting to be that guy but what about the Masking Device great it same as a clock? And are there any atomic missiles available?

Translating the Masking Device is more than I was wanting to dig into, so I just skipped it. At this point, it would be the Veiling Device, but, within the scope of FC, just leaving it as a standard cloak works well enough. Don't need that complexity.

No atomic missiles, as this is way, way later in the SFU timeline. They are armed with plasmas and warp tuned lasers. No missiles to be seen.

Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
You know, I'd love to put a clock on my opponents to keep them from slow playing. Never thought about using masking tape to keep them from trash-talking. Razz Razz

(Yes, I know it was a typo, but I just had to go there.)

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: