Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Bunch of Questions from Pasadena

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chazrobbins
Ensign


Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 22
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: A Bunch of Questions from Pasadena Reply with quote

I own Game Empire in Pasadena, California, and we are running a learning league for Fed Com that currently has 14 players. Here are some questions that have come up:

1. If two disruptors hit a fully cloaked Romulan ship at adjusted range 10, how many points of damage do they inflict?

2. What happens if you tractor an enemy ship and shove it off the map?

3. If you take internals during the scenario, but repair them by the time the game ends, does your opponent still get 10% of your ship's value? (See 8B2b)

4. Can you use an ADD to destroy a drone that you tractored on a prior impulse?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davec_24
Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 596
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and answer what I can here:

1) At a true range of 6 and adjusted range of 10, disruptors cannot be overloaded. Normal disruptors do 3 damage at this range, and the damage per weapon is halved when the target is fully cloaked (as opposed to halving the total damage scored by all weapons fired), dropping any fractions. This means that each disruptor would score one damage point, for a total of two damage points from the combined disruptor salvo.

2) I have to admit I'm not actually sure about this one, it's a good question though...

3) I think that only internal hits remaining at the end of the scenario count towards this - certainly only internal hits remaining when the scenario ends count towards whether a ship is classed as "crippled" or not for victory point determination, and so by extension I would have thought the same applies to whether you are counted as having "internal damage" or not.

4) No, you can't use an ADD to destroy a drone which impacted on a previous impulse but is held on a tractor beam. Essentially, the ADD can fire only at drones in the defensive fire phase of the impulse of impact.

Hope that helps. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3442
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for running Federation Commander in your store!

1) Two points. Each disruptor would ordinarily do 3 points of damage at range 10. (5P3c) says to reduced the damage points by 50%, and drop fractions. That means the 3 is reduced to 1. So, the two disruptors do a total of two points of damage.

2) Assuming that this is a fixed map, and the edge of the map is "hard", then the enemy ship is gone. Co-incidentally, I plan on verifying that whole thing, but right now, the rules as written means the enemy ship has left the scenario. (The scenario rules will define if that means "effectively destroyed" or merely disengaged.)

3) No. If you repair the damage prior to the end of the scenario, then no points are awarded. Unless, of course, you disengage. If you disengage, then the internal damage was irrelevant, as your opponent would get 25% of your ship's value.

4) No. ADDs may only be used on a drone during the impulse of impact. This was clarified in the Rel4 rulebook.

[cross-posted with Dave]
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
junior
Captain


Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bunch of Questions from Pasadena Reply with quote

chazrobbins wrote:
1. If two disruptors hit a fully cloaked Romulan ship at adjusted range 10, how many points of damage do they inflict?


Chuck -

I looked up the cloaked thing earlier today based on our conversation last night, and the answer to the question is here -

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=867

The damage is halved on a 'per-weapon' basis, meaning that a disruptor that would ordinarily hit for three points of damage only does one if the target is under a cloak. As someone in the thread points out, that sucks for disruptors and phaser-3s (and by extension phaser-Gs, which are all but nullified even at point blank range).


Point #4 is a 'No'. You can only use an ADD on the impulse that the drone impacts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davec_24
Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 596
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
2) Assuming that this is a fixed map, and the edge of the map is "hard", then the enemy ship is gone. Co-incidentally, I plan on verifying that whole thing, but right now, the rules as written means the enemy ship has left the scenario. (The scenario rules will define if that means "effectively destroyed" or merely disengaged.)


That looks like it could give an "easy victory" sort of idea in some cases, or at least result in unrealistic tactical situations. Would it make any sense to say that if a ship being tractored or tractoring another ship moves off the edge of the map, then the ship which would remain on the map as things are at the moment also disengages/is destroyed as per the scenario rules (maybe it has been dragged off the map with the other ship, etc.)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3442
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I am verifying the answer ...

Smile
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Davec_24
Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 596
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough then. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
junior
Captain


Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:
That looks like it could give an "easy victory" sort of idea in some cases, or at least result in unrealistic tactical situations. Would it make any sense to say that if a ship being tractored or tractoring another ship moves off the edge of the map, then the ship which would remain on the map as things are at the moment also disengages/is destroyed as per the scenario rules (maybe it has been dragged off the map with the other ship, etc.)?



The problem with that is if you have a scenario that says something to the effect of, "Any Federation ship that disengages in direction A is destroyed. Any Klingon ship that disengages in direction D is destroyed." And then a Klingon grabs a Fed and shoves him off the map board in direction A.

Even if the Klingon counts as leaving the map, it's still a positive for him in the VP scale since the Fed counts as destroyed and the Klingon only counts as disengaged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davec_24
Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 596
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough, didn't think of that. Well, the question is up for review as it were, so I'm sure something can be done about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kang
Fleet Captain


Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 1929
Location: Devon, UK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
Davec_24 wrote:
That looks like it could give an "easy victory" sort of idea in some cases, or at least result in unrealistic tactical situations. Would it make any sense to say that if a ship being tractored or tractoring another ship moves off the edge of the map, then the ship which would remain on the map as things are at the moment also disengages/is destroyed as per the scenario rules (maybe it has been dragged off the map with the other ship, etc.)?



The problem with that is if you have a scenario that says something to the effect of, "Any Federation ship that disengages in direction A is destroyed. Any Klingon ship that disengages in direction D is destroyed." And then a Klingon grabs a Fed and shoves him off the map board in direction A.

Even if the Klingon counts as leaving the map, it's still a positive for him in the VP scale since the Fed counts as destroyed and the Klingon only counts as disengaged.


If the possibility of this tactic happening exists in any given game, then it is up to each player to keep it in mind and to guard against it. Otherwise, if it happens to him, he has only himself to blame Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Davec_24
Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 596
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that in every situation. Rolling Eyes Although what you say is true, in terms of perceived realism, such phenomena can result in rather silly situations and tactics to avoid those situations which strictly speaking shouldn't be necessary from a realism (or in some cases even a common sense) standpoint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3442
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wording is being worked on, but it looks like the ruling is that you cannot push (or pull) an enemy ship off the map.

Considering that the idea of a fixed or location map creates an artificial edge for the sake of gameplay, it isn't that unreasonable to have an exception that prevents that artificial edge from being used against an enemy.

Note, however, there is no problem with using a tractor to drag a captured or allied ship off the map.
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Davec_24
Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 596
Location: England

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
The wording is being worked on, but it looks like the ruling is that you cannot push (or pull) an enemy ship off the map.

Considering that the idea of a fixed or location map creates an artificial edge for the sake of gameplay, it isn't that unreasonable to have an exception that prevents that artificial edge from being used against an enemy.

Note, however, there is no problem with using a tractor to drag a captured or allied ship off the map.


I think that sounds reasonable - an abstract solution to deal with an abstract problem, if you like. Also good call on some sort of provision for towing off captured/allied ships. Sounds like you have it all under control anyway. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kor
Ensign


Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Posts: 15
Location: Pasadena, Ca.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chuck, it's Nick. As to the tractor question, there was a ruling under the CRUL (in this forum heading) about using tractors to shove ships off map or into planets, it was stated that doing so breaks the tractor lock, to keep people from doing this very thing.
_________________
...Of course you should come. The splendor of fighting and killing. A bloodbath in the cause of vengeance. Who wouldn't want to come?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
junior
Captain


Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick -

That ruling was created specifically as a result of this thread and another post I made as a result of the conversation with Chuck regarding his question #2.

Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group