Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ion Cannon - the poor-man's Photon Torpedo?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Cannon - the poor-man's Photon Torpedo? Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
pneumonic81 wrote:
Generally speaking, I think the Ion is a great weapon. I thought more of it before MW decided to take away the holding cost, but I still think its a fine weapon.

And again that is because there is no "ion energy" requirement in FC. Without that requirement, the weapon is almost too good in FC. The change in overloading was done to partially compensate for that change, and to make it more consistent with other weapons that overload with a 50% increase in power.

I will test a theory out over Thanksgiving, but I have a feeling that Orions are gonna have a new favorite weapon ...

it doesnt have the fear that Photons had, but the ion will definetly be flexable for the power hungry orions.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Cannon - the poor-man's Photon Torpedo? Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
I will test a theory out over Thanksgiving, but I have a feeling that Orions are gonna have a new favorite weapon ...

If that is gonna be a problem, maybe a racial restriction could be added to the weapon?

(Make it like the Eneen HPR or Trobrin radiation phasers - in that almost no-one else would risk using the technology, lest it do very bad things to them...)
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think its a smart idea to consider limiting them like the hellbore is limited.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Cannon - the poor-man's Photon Torpedo? Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
mjwest wrote:

If that is gonna be a problem, maybe a racial restriction could be added to the weapon?

Oh, I don't think it will be bad or anything. I don't think it will be unbalancing. It will just be what it already is: a compromise weapon between a photon and disruptor where you trade some damage for more accuracy, but also maintain some crunch.

It will never match the screaming terror of held overloaded photons. However, depending on what you want to do as an Orion, it provides more flexible tactics.

Again, I don't think the ion cannon is unbalanced but neither do I think it is too weak, either.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Cannon - the poor-man's Photon Torpedo? Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:

Again, I don't think the ion cannon is unbalanced but neither do I think it is too weak, either.

Agreed, whilst I haven't played it yet, at least on paper it looks a well balanced weapon.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. Must have missed that bit Smile
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reminder that we need playtest reports on the Vudar.
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Cannon - the poor-man's Photon Torpedo? Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:

I can't speak with any authority about Ion Cannons in FC, but in SFB, the only thing that keeps SFB Ion Cannons "in the box" on Orions is the Ion requirement. Most Orion ships don't have enough impulse engine boxes to support more than couple of them. Remove the ion power requirement, and I'd be really tempted to arm a BR with 5 of them.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Cannon - the poor-man's Photon Torpedo? Reply with quote

SWO_Daddy wrote:
Remove the ion power requirement, and I'd be really tempted to arm a BR with 5 of them.

In SFB, sure. But in Federation Commander, you are limited to a maximum of three on the BR.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: