Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed Commander Master Rulebook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Question:Will the master rulebook have the parts that are irrelevant to the rules. By this, I mean the pictures (such as that of the Gorn battlecruiser on page 9) or the little non-rule sections between each of the chapters?

I like the artwork and the non-rule sections; I feel they add atmosphere. Does all that have to be omitted simply because it's a Master Rulebook?
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:

I like the artwork and the non-rule sections; I feel they add atmosphere. Does all that have to be omitted simply because it's a Master Rulebook?

I'd rather just have rules and keep flavor stuff separate.

Even nicer would be completely separate books for rules, races and scenarios.

There's already quite a bit of history stuff as it is, consolidating it would be nice. At least nicer for newer players who need to know the difference between SFU and TOSetc.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March would be a good time to fix it. NOT NOW. My schedule is booked and I do not have time to fix it for the $12 mail order version.
Sir Drake
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for getting this going! In March I will show my thanks again when I buy that bad boy! I sure do like to have a single book to go for a rules question. I make photo copyes of inportant pages from added on books but I lose them. And if I have to spend 15 dollars again later on I will do so and think it money well spent. I am glad that it is just the rules it's what I want at the table when a question pops up. Background and ship details are fine but,you can look those up from that stack of suplements lying about.

Daniel
From the Movie ZULU
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be buying two copies come March! Thanks!!

Garrett
atomic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LordLobo"]
Kang wrote:

There's already quite a bit of history stuff as it is, consolidating it would be nice. At least nicer for newer players who need to know the difference between SFU and TOSetc.

Ok, noob time again. I didn't know there was a difference between SFU and TOS!?! Where do I go to get the history? Would I be able to tell the divergance? I'm a big TOS fan, but, pointing out things like "In Episode 36 Ensign Burffle has a Class Three Tricorder when he should have had Class Two Mark Six Tricorder" is not something I can (or care) to do.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="atomic"]
LordLobo wrote:
Kang wrote:

Ok, noob time again. I didn't know there was a difference between SFU and TOS!?! Where do I go to get the history? Would I be able to tell the divergance? I'm a big TOS fan, but, pointing out things like "In Episode 36 Ensign Burffle has a Class Three Tricorder when he should have had Class Two Mark Six Tricorder" is not something I can (or care) to do.

Some general info about the SFU (and how/why it diverged) can be found here:
http://starfleetgames.com/federation/about_universe.shtml

Garrett
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is a link to the official timeline for the SFU. While Federation Commander uses real years for dates and operates a little more loosely with specific "historical" events, reviewing this can help one understand many of the things in both SFB and Federation Commander.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/documents/Timeline.pdf
atomic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links guys. I appreciate it.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just clarify - the Master Rulebook; this is not the same thing as Rulebook 5, is it? I thought Rulebook 5 was not coming out until after Origins....
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this will be rulebook 5.

The after origins theory was based on the theory of W&P being Origins 09, but it looks now like Origins 2010.
Barry Kirk
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Rules Renumbering Reply with quote

I know I'm going to get in trouble for stirring this pot. Wink

I'm concerned that the current rule numbering system for Fed Commander could get a little bit kludgy if certain BoM stuff like Omega and LMC are incorporated into Fed Commander.

When SFB went from the designer edition to the Commanders edition, the rules numbering system was completely redone from scratch. A lot of thought went into the the numbering scheme for Commanders edition.

And That numbering scheme mostly held up until the addition of Omega and LMC and other stuff.

Having said that, with Fed Commander, there is an entirely new numbering scheme than SFB which is understandable, it's a different game.

Would it be possible to come up with a new numbering scheme for the rules when the Master Rulebook comes out.

Such a numbering scheme should have a huge amount of exansion built in allowing for products like Maesron Attack or LMC Attack to be added.

Here would be an example.

For Section 4

4A would be Weapons General
4B would be Phaser style weapons
4C would be Direct Fire Heavy Weapons
4D would be Seeking Weapons
4E would be for (looks for appropriate name) things like ESG, IPG, Snare

within each section have 3 numbers

so 4Bxyy where x is the octant ( 0 for Alpha, 1 for LMC, 2 for Omega )

4B001 Alpha Octant Phasers
4B002 Phaser 1's
4B101 LMC Warp Tuned Lasers
4B201 Omega Phasers
4B211 Wide Angle Phasers
4B221 Micro Phasers
4B231 Radiation Phasers

4C001 Photons
4C002 Disruptors
4C003 ADD
4C004 Hellbores
4C004 Fusions
4C005 Web Fist with reference to Web Caster
4C006 PPD

Well, you get the idea....

Since, it sounds like the MRB won't be that expensive, it doesn't sound like it would be that hard for people to upgrade.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Barry Kirk on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mandatory upgrades tend to piss people off in my experience. Though many might upgrade anyway. What is it about the Omega sector rules which will cause confusion in a rulebook anyway? I don't really know much about Omega except that a lot of the races seem a little "out there" if you follow me. Well we can say "creative" instead with respect to its author(s). But yeah, why will the rulebook go south when they're introduced?
Barry Kirk
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the total number of weapons.

With the current numbering system we are already up to I think N or so.

4N I think is particle canons... Can't remember exactly.

With Omega, you add

Wide Angle Phasers 1,3, and 4
MicroPhasers 1, 3, and 4
Variable Phasers 1,2,3, and 4
Radiation Phasers
Antimatter Phasers
Pulse Emitters

All are Phaser style weapons.

For direct fire weapons,

Tachyon Guns, Antimatter Cannon, Implosion Bolt, Fireball launcher, Particle Canon, and probably 10 to 15 more.

For seekers,

There are Tachyon missiles which are sort of like drones, but totally different and many varients of plasma style seekers.

And there are 4 or 5 other devices that might be in the web caster catagory. Not really a weapon, but it can do stuff.

LMC isn't quite as bad, but it adds a lot.

Now add in the Jindarian... and possibly other future expansions... well you see what i'm getting at?
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best to leave the core numbering the way that it is.

If Omega comes out, then all of the rules for that setting can have their numbers modified as needed. For instance, the descriptions of the various types of Omega phasers might be found in rules section 4O1 ('O' for 'Omega'). Rules on Hiver "Frigates" (aka fighters to everyone else) and "Destroyers" (aka gunboats to everyone else) might be found in rules section 5O3 (the '3' was selected by me at random). Similar steps can be undertaken with other rules that aren't part of the region of space between the Hydran Old Colonies and the Interstellar Concordium.

When all is said and done, it's the core setting that drives and sells the game. The majority of people who get involved with this game do so because of a TV series about a starship called "Enterprise". You may be interested in Omega, the Magellenics, etc..., but it's the local region of space that allows the game to exist. And I think the game should reflect that fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: