Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed Commander Master Rulebook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Kirk
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of a 4O1 for Omega and 4L1 for LMC would be OK.

Currently, there is no way to really integrate Modules C5 and the Omega Modules into the standard SFB MRB with the current rule numbering system.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Kirk wrote:
The idea of a 4O1 for Omega and 4L1 for LMC would be OK.

Currently, there is no way to really integrate Modules C5 and the Omega Modules into the standard SFB MRB with the current rule numbering system.

Oh I see (after looking at my rulebook). I guess what you're trying to say is that, contrary to what Captain Picard says, there aren't "plenty of letters left in the alphabet". Though since the DK weapons are already near K or L, I'm guessing that the War and Peace weapons are going to go over O (Andromedans and ISC) and presumably, Omega Sector and LMC will be after any Alpha Quadrant races. (ie it would be odd to have 4A-4N for Alpha, then have like 4O1-4O57 and then 4P-4R or something like that). Man if there's like an extra 50 weapons or so that alone will dramatically increase the size of the rulebook assuming say 1 in 3 has some fancy rules involved. But even the typical weapon needs some rule clarifications with regards to pre-game arming, holding, overloads, etcetera and so on.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?

I don't have my rulebook handy, nor have I needed to consult it recently. So don't get TOO caught up in my suggestion if my formatting didn't quite match up with things. My point was that the rules numbering system as is happens to be fine for Alpha races. If later on Omega is done, then it's easy enough to slap an Omega identifier on the new rules, and then number as needed. My example numbers were picked with the understanding that the standard number system for chapter 4 is 41, 42, etc... If it's 4A, 4B, etc..., then the example for the Omega phasers would read '4OA', and the example for the smaller Hiver ships would read '5OC'.

If there is an obviously inserted letter after the chapter number, then it should be quite easy to tell "what's what".

And ultimately, this is just one example of many solutions to the rules ordering system that are possible.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, personally it seems to me that the best option would to be simply throw all of the Omega stuff in its own chapter. The weaponry at least anyway, not sure how many special ship rules there are (ie hivers). And then maybe throw all of the LMC in their own chapter too. Though I think they're only 3 races or something.

I dunno. Steve + friends will figure it out.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Steve has the last say on this stuff, but I would tend to just use what has been done in SFB before: the double-letter.

So, for Omega, the first weapon rule would be 4OA, rather than just 4O or 4Z or whatever. The next rule would be 4OB, and so on. So, "OA" and "OB" would replace what is only a single letter in the base game.

That's how I expect it will likely be done. Quite frankly, it will likely be how it has to be done for the base game, if we run out of letters in sections 4 and 5.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Requete
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
I think it's best to leave the core numbering the way that it is.

If Omega comes out, then all of the rules for that setting can have their numbers modified as needed. For instance, the descriptions of the various types of Omega phasers might be found in rules section 4O1 ('O' for 'Omega'). Rules on Hiver "Frigates" (aka fighters to everyone else) and "Destroyers" (aka gunboats to everyone else) might be found in rules section 5O3 (the '3' was selected by me at random). Similar steps can be undertaken with other rules that aren't part of the region of space between the Hydran Old Colonies and the Interstellar Concordium.

When all is said and done, it's the core setting that drives and sells the game. The majority of people who get involved with this game do so because of a TV series about a starship called "Enterprise". You may be interested in Omega, the Magellenics, etc..., but it's the local region of space that allows the game to exist. And I think the game should reflect that fact.

Agreed. I like the Lyrans, Hydrans, Kzintis and ISC... they seem to "fit". And they exist within the context of Constitution Class starships and Klingons. But I don't care for the "far out" stuff... outside of the primary context it just becomes plain old science fiction and I don't need it. I just kind of pretend it isn't there.

----

Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy:
http://www.catholicity.com/prayer/divinemercy.html
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule numbering system WILL NOT CHANGE.

If we ever do FC Omega, we'll use a superscript like we always do.

4?A, 4?B, and so forth.

For magellanics,

4§A, 4§B.

I hope those characters show on your computer. The first one is a greek Omega and the second is that little galaxy swirl thing.
Barry Kirk
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

The superscript system works for me, although the greek characters didn't show up for me.

Thank you for taking the time to address this issue.

I would however like to ask that at logical break points, if necessary, a page intentionally left blank be put in place so that I can insert and sort my rulebook.

As a related, but slightly different topic. Could I ask that page numbers be deleted from future rulebooks?

The reason is as follows.

If I have my rulebook sorted by rule number, and I insert a future Omega or LMC module

so my rules are 4A, 4B, 4C.... 4 Omega A, 4 Omega B.... 5A

The page numbers would not be sequential... If there are no page numbers, then they can't get out of sequence.

I know this sounds anal, but having two numbering systems one for page numbers and one for rules numbers is inviting them to clash.

Already, with DK, Tholian Attack, and Orion Attack, if I try to sort by rule number, the page numbers are non-sequential and have duplicates.

And without intentional blank pages, the rule numbers can get out of order when new rules are sorted in.

Please let me know if I'm way of base here.
Barry Kirk
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that, I should point out that I understand that page numbering does provide a quick check to make sure that no pages are missing.

So deleting them does eliminate that feature.

Indexes and outlines can offset that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: